Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1913 Etrich Taube 90???

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA 1913 Etrich Taube 90???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 05:11 AM
nickbee
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1913 Etrich Taube 90???

Anyone build this model? What is the cut quality like? Are the wings 2 peice? Is the landing gear wire? How does it fly?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2002, 03:09 AM
kevin mcgrath
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built mine three or four years ago,and its sitll flying at this time.I use an OS .90 four stroke,but it would fly with less.This model absolutly must have a four stroke,as a screaming two stroke would be totally out of place.
BUSA have done a lot of updating to their kits and I hope this one has had the treatment.My kit was not great,and part fit was very bad.The instructions were marginal,and the plans were a very poor set of old blue line prints which were not accurate.A newer builder would have a real problem with the kit if it is still produced in the manner mine was.
However its beatiful in the air,tracks dead straight on takeoff,and is very gentle in flight.None of the controls are at all twitchy and you must use some rudder and lots of aileron for smooth turns.Landings are dead easy,just line it up,bleed the speed off,pull up the nose slightly and let it land itself.Takeoffs are flat,but there is a weird affect caused I think by the wide,wide chord wing and the huge stab area whereby if you get the nose up too high,the model will take a severe upward stance and almost hover before you get it back under control.It will fly very slowly and is almost immpossible to stall,and I have never been able to get it to spin.
The wing is one piece and the LG is soldered wire.
I bashed up a set of olde tyme "sea sled" floats and it is an accomplished seaplane,which is what I mostly use it for currently.......
Old 08-01-2003, 07:01 PM
fltbuff7

I am almost ready to put mine in the air. Comment I got at club were re-inforce the L O N G rods to the elevator because the (2) guys that flew kits at the field LOST the planes totally into the ground as on a high angle landing (don't know why they were trying that with a plane this big), when elevator applied, it FLEXED and did not pull plane up, so they wnet into the ground.

I added (2) more supports for the nyrods that are outside the fuselage and (1) more support inside. Still flexes a little but I think it will fly real nice.

My thunder tiger 4-stroke (new) sent back for service as it ran for 5 mins, then died and never started again, lost compression I believe, valves may have come loose or whatever...

. Can't wait to get this bird in the air.

If you get one, just take it very easy at first or get a sr instructor to take up first at your field. It takes a LOT of hours to build this baby and it would be a shame to lose one foolishly.

Godd Luck !!! Fltbuff7
Old 08-02-2003, 06:10 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Default BUSA Eindecker

They must have redone the kit. I built mine earlier this year and it was a dead simple build. I did modify my fuselage to a stick structure aft of the wing so I could save adding nose weight. I still had to add 6 oz. of lead, on top of the heavy TT .91 four-stroke. It is a slow pleasure to fly, and looks very good on the ground and in the air. I recommend this plane highly. It can be covered with one 5m roll of covering if you measure carefully. When you can get another WWI job to dogfight against, it doesn't get any better. Have fun.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:27 PM
fltbuff7

Default RE: Balsa USA 1913 Etrich Taube 90???

This is Fltbuff7 checking in again. I get great remarks at the club on my Taube90. The way it gracefully flies through he air and does incredibly smooth landings. It is running great on my TT91 4 stroke. Plenty of power! I usually run between 1/3 and 1/2 throttle.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Help Help Help...where does the Balsa USA plans say that the CG location should be???
I bought a used one, and I'm unable to fly it until I get the balance correct.
Thanks for the help.
Jim
Old 12-18-2004, 12:25 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Had the same problem with mine. The nirod flexed at the tail & I couldnt get any lift. Nosed it into the ground. Am rebuilding it using 440 wire for the control rods. Had to add 3 oz. to the tail cause I was using a gas engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73507.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	204252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68684.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	204253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17733.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	204254  
Old 12-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Vulturetec

I ordered two Taubes before the kits were first available so I guess I got a couple of the first ones. I noticed one error on the plans (or instructions, I can't remember which) regarding the sheeting in the center section, I understand they updated that. Aside from that it was easy to build, and fly, haven't had any problems at all. Mine is powered with an old non-surpass OS90 4-stroke. Instead of just covering the forward section of the fuse I sheeted it with 1/64" ply and stained/varnished it, made a small change to the front end to enclose the engine a little more, and used solid steel pushrods in nylon casings with additional bearing at the tail. I also encased the wire gear legs with notched spruce stock (stained and varnished to match the fuselage). I flew it for a few years, no complaints, lots of compliments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46252.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	204630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83843.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	204631  
Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 AM
smsusaf

Hi Guy, I see you have two Taube aircraft. Been having a heck of a time finding out the C.G. for my .46 size Taube. Bought it used and really
seems to be extremly tail heavy. As you know that is bad news. If you could please advise me of the C.G. I would really be a happy flyer. My first post, hope I am doing it correctly. Any info you can provide on this model apprectated...Thanks a bunch...Art
Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Shoestring1958

Hi Guys, Is anyone still building this kit?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:27 PM
kpd

I hope so. My wife and daughter both love the Taube so I intend to have one in the fleet at some point.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:25 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I am getting a Taube 90 for Christmas. I already know because when I answered the doorbell, the UPS man was there with the plane that my wife had ordered... She hadn't expected it to arrive so fast, so she wasn't on the lookout for it. On my "Christmas Hints" list, I had listed the Taube 90 and the Eindecker 90, but gave hjer the option to pick the one that she liked the best.

What are people thinking about their Taubes now that they've h ad time to live with them??? Has anyone come across any interesting finishing schemes?? A friend suggests that I finish it in silk and I will probably take the advice of Posts 3, 5, and 8.

Any ideas that you can throw my way will be gratfully appreciated.

Has anyone seen one of these (or an Eindecker or Bleriot) on RealFlight??? If so, where would I find it?? I don't suppose anyone has an online manual for this thing do they? I want to get ahead but can't rip open the box until Dec 25

Thanks in advance...