Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 09:23 AM
bobrogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size

Hello all, I just bought the .60 size kit and I'm looking for feed back from anyone who has experience with the plane. I'm going to put a O.S. 91 FX in the front end and also use two servos on the elevator. Any comments or what to look out for would greatly help.
Old 03-24-2002, 02:38 PM
greenskeeper
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bob, i built one with a 90 st pitts muffler covered in fabric wt 8.5lbs a little heavy but had very good vertical, i used the y single servo on the elevator all 3oo3 servos, was my first low wing very easy to fly, would beef up the landing gear area & buy a glass cowl the plastic one cracked in many areas after a few flights good luck Jeff
Old 03-24-2002, 09:30 PM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, the GP 60 Extra 300 is one of my all-time favorite planes. I had more than 200 flights on mine over 3 seasons, when I stupidly put it in about a month ago.

I powered it w/ a 91 four-stroke engine the first season, but switched to 120 four-stroke later on. The larger engine really brought out the Extra's great aerobatic potential. Your 91 FX should be an excellent match.

For a full review I wrote go to: http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...Extra300S.html
Old 03-26-2002, 05:54 PM
greenboot

I've built two, the first one lost in a mid-air. I pretty much followed the plans and used all the stock materials.

To form the rounded forward fuselage, wet the plywood, then bent it around a gallon paint can. Hold it in place on the can with rubber bands and let it dry overnight. It will then fit on the formers just right.

Another change I made was to apply the wing center sheeting in one long piece instead of making separate left/right halves. You will have no problem bending it since there is very little dihedral. This makes a smoother joint and you won't need any fiberglass tape.

Mine weighs 7 1/2 pounds and can hover with a 91 four stroke.

Tom
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 AM
pt19 flyer

Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300s .60 size

hi gang
once had the gp 300 and it was a great flyer under power. lose power and you have
a crash on your hands, lost my when I flew too long and ran out of fuel, down she
came. do not try a low throttle glide in landing approach. you must keep some power
on until touch down. at least this was my experience.
good luck with yours.

pt19 flyer

Old 04-25-2020, 07:06 AM
Gabriel.Vvi

Hey guys :

This kit has been discontinued for a long time, but I would like to build one.
The only thing i'm looking for are the die-cut patterns plans. Does anyone have it or knows where I can find it ? I would be very happy to find it.

Thanks from france