Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bud nosen giant trainer fans..anyone out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bud nosen giant trainer fans..anyone out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Bud nosen giant trainer fans..anyone out there?

Here are couple wing pics. The roundels are hand painted like the rest of the plane. The hinges are homemade fabric type..sewn and glued to the wood, then covered with the wing material.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82943.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	1313103   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd92600.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	691.3 KB
ID:	1313104  
Old 11-13-2009, 03:25 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Nosen Trainer back when they came out. Did a Sig dope paint job on it and had an OS 90 FSR on it for power. Even then it was underpowered and flew like a dog. I ended up selling it after a couple flights. I'll try to post a picture of it, as it was a nice looking bird.
I hope yours flys better than mine did.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
foodstick

Well hopefully with a 46 cc engine on it..it will be a bit more spry than a glow engine. We will see..eventually

a few more pics ...

Name:	Bz77083.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1313662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14396.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	1313663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73579.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1313664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89675.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1313665  
Old 11-13-2009, 06:35 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

I looked and found my plans for the trainer. I put them up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=573369
Old 11-21-2009, 11:25 PM
foodstick

Well no new pics today, but I did get a bunch of super long servo extensions soldered up, and a receiver pack lead soldered on, couple servo's respliced etc. I hate that kind of thing but its done now. I didn't twist my long servo extensions, but I did do a sorta braiding, I doubt the pattern is right 4 stitch? in a row! I think that should still help avoid radio interference...keeping everything back from the motor, and avoiding any steel to steel where possible.

Oh I did forget a new development in the build I KNEW I didn't cut the nose short enough after I got along the build aways. That big poulan 46cc motor was way WAY to far out there making it major nose heavy. I thought of that early enough though, I sheeted the tail surfaces, and built a radio access panel in the back underneath..JUST IN CASE!

Well I am glad I did. I had planned on using a big heavy giant scale servo I had for the elevator, I ended up need ind to mount it right in front of the stab, and the rudder servo, then I slipped a MASSIVE 1900 nicad pack UNDERNEATH the stab, in the far back of the fuse...that brought the balance into control ! whew !

some of this may all be repeat info from other posts...tired, slept bad, a little groggy
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built one-first tried to fly it with 91 Glow-a real dog, than I put a saito 180 and it flew much better-I sold it and if I were going to build it again I would build it lighter-It had no windows even-and just to think they flew them with 60's way back when!!!!!!!!!!!

I had flaps- and it landed kind of like a whale-it waddled when I taxi'd.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:43 PM
foodstick

Well mine won't be light, but with all that wing, and the big motor..it should fly like a 1/4 cub..
Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
ceciljohnson
My Feedback: (4)

hey guys
do any of you happen to have the building instruction for this trainer i have the plans but no build sheets if you do could you email them to me at [email protected] i would be most greatful.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
foodstick

My buddy came over and gave me a bad time about my trainer today..All the radio wires were still hanging out of the access hatch..I still need to button it up. So I bought a nice charge jack and switch today.. I will get it installed and in the air sometime this spring!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
ceciljohnson

if anyone need plans there is a fellow on ebay that has several of bud nosen's plans thats where i got my plans for the trainer and i just ordered the 1/3 scale Jenny from him his sellers name is donbar25 really nice guy to deal with..
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
foodstick

Here are a couple pics. I ended up needing the battery and radio gear all the way back for balance reasons.. If you read above you know I added A LOT of motor weight compared to the original..Since I didn't shorten the nose much it needed the weight in back. The fuse on this thing is pretty short coupled...
Anyhow I countersunk the charge jack, and switch into the panel so it can't be bumped easily.

I threw in another shot down into the fuse..just because it makes me laugh when I see how open it is.I still need to tie up the servo wire leads in there,

Name:	Lj23673.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1361754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24297.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1361755  
Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
ceciljohnson

thats like looking down a elevator shaft.
do you get an echo? lol
Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
foodstick

Well guys the nosen trainer special is pretty much ready to fly ! we did some needle setting, and basic throttle work behind the garage and it looks good. I also got it balanced with help from a friend.. With the big gas motor up front, and the radio in back it only took about 5 oz. of lead to make it hang slightly nose down.

So now I just have to drop cash off at the club treasureres (reinlist)

Find a day when my flying partner in crime can go, range check..and fly ! Knowing me, that could take a month !
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
foodstick

A friend and I brought the old Nosen trainer out tonight. Its the one I have been messing with on this thread. Its a little warped and crooked but not horrible ...

But it looks good !

Well I took off to the east because of the strong cross wind.. It broke ground ok, but it wanted to go left BAD.. , it handled more like a 3d plane..way touchier than it should be..Which may have saved it once because the wind turned it back left to the pits and I had to either fly over the pits which is bad ....or force it hard left and back out, like a hard 3d turn..thats what I did. It pivoted hard enough to stall at the end of the rudder turn..I pushed the nose down and it flew out of it..Finally got it sorta trimmed out..I think I am a little tail heavy and My buddy thinks it needs more right thrust also..

then the motor died on south end of field..the thing floated all the way to north end of field and landed in the rough cross furrows of the corn field..It ripped the gear out, But that was the only real damage..Just pulled the gear block out. It was an UGLY test flight! I am glad I have practiced 3D on the simulator, and my foamies. there was ZERO stability in it the way it flew..

My buddy flew it for awhile, thought it was flakey..
he thought it seemed more powerful with a 46cc chainsaw engine, than his Nosen trainer did with an old 60 sized glow engine. hahahh Oh yeah My friend didn't offer the radio when the motor died, AND I DIDN'T ASK FOR IT EITHER!!! hahah

So its move cg, and add some right thrust before next test...

Oh yeah the motor died because my homemade carb adaptor broke loose from the motor..I may have to order a couple billet aluminum ones dang it ....The poulan 46cc carb needs a special adaptor to be converted...
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 PM
foodstick

Well we have been working on my trainer, and painting a 1/4 DR1...

But I have the cg moved forward (more lead), If I move the flight pack forward it will have to move at least a foot, and I will have no access to it very easily.The plane seemed to be floaty as heck so I went the more lead route..even though I could have prolly moved battery.
added a tiny bit more right thrust. New landing gear block installed right gear leg fixed, new carb adapter... and ,and, and

I still have a few things to seal up, and recheck..but its edging towards flight test two !

Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 PM
foodstick

got to thinking the plane was ready to go, and then it dawned on me I still had to finish bolting in the bomb drop box.

I mechanically changed the trim at the servo,so I could reset the radio trims to zero.

I also decide to put a little expo in the aileron/rudder /elevator..they are setup with quite a lot of movement. Also after messing with the expo I decide it might be smart to put in a little aileron rudder mix..This thing really needed a bunch of rudder in the turns..

I just keep thinking of things ..I also put a little differential in the ailerons...by off setting the servo arms..

Who knows when I will drag the beast back out. But other than possibly a little work on the throttle throws (after slightly changing right thrust) I think its back to test flights !
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
foodstick

Well today was test flight two.

NOT GOOD I am not sure whats going on, but I am getting my butt kicked on this plane. Light wind slightly cross runway..I turned it into the wind...throttled up slow... it lifted off easy,climbed a few feet at a real low angle of attack... then it yawed left turning into the wind a little more than I thought it would..I tried to correct back right with a little rudder and aileron..It continued left....snapped..touched wing..landed on nose..

Broke the tail loose, broken prop..one of the wing mounting blocks in the fuse pulled loose.

Not sure what to think.. I must have just slow speed stall snapped it? It felt and looked fast enough to me,, and I usually don't have that problem ( snap on take off )..

Anyhow I am having tons of problems considering its a freaking trainer ! I am pretty disgusted to say the least. I usually don't have this many problems with much more difficult planes..

Anyhow I fought the urge to WALK on the plane. I am gonna sit it aside and try not to use it for a wheel chock for my old van ..at least for now ! hahahahahah
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
foodstick

Well I think the plane just needs to be longer..The tail moment is just to short for the size of the plane with that 46 cc gasser on it.. So I finally bit the bullet and made the cut...

Most trainers this size have a much longer fuse, so thats the new goal. I am not really happy about doing it..but I think it was the right call. I think adding a foot of fuselage would solve the problem..But this thing will be long then. I have kicked around the idea of making the back of the plane detachable..That way I can get it in and out of the basement much easier...

hopefully I can get motivated now that the thing is chopped. I think I am building a entire new rear fuse, if I try to patch in a piece the fuse will look stupid, the lines will just look wrong.... 3953

Name:	Ge95639.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1596216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48837.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1596217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84723.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1596218  
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
foodstick

Well here is the roughed out stretch tail fuse...

Name:	Tr51249.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1616852  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
doug2708

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good, you've inspired me to get mine from storage and make some mods!
Doug
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Red Baron Dave
My Feedback: (13)

I have to agree with the process of making the tail moment longer, a 'foot' - hard core science or best guessimate?
I still have mine NIB and also want to make this a gasser. Maybe that is why the .60 flew is because you were so slow and under powered that you could 'keep ahead' of the model....
Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 AM
foodstick

Well its really a guess on the added length.

However, I sat the tail behind the chopped fuse and eyeballed it a lot before coming up with that number. I sort of based it loosely on the LOOK of a telemaster fuse ..they are quite long and fly well. I think the only bad thing to come from going to far would be over stability, or a slow sluggish response.
I don't think that will be an issue. (fingers crossed)

It has been so windy and rainy I haven't even got in flying mode yet this year. I need to get this thing done though... It sort of killed my interest in flying having so many goofy issues with a trainer ! hahah
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Red Baron Dave
My Feedback: (13)

i hear ya on the weather. 2 ski resorts will be OPEN on July 4th in California - yup records are falling all over

I have always loved the Telemaster, yes this is a 'trainer' but I really like what you did with the covering to make it look like something else. the round cowl is also a cool way to hide the intent of this model.

I think I will cut out windows and try to shed some weight on the bird with the gas engine going in (TBD). Carbon fiber cloth rocks!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 PM
foodstick

I moved back the firewall to keep the nose about the same length as the stock kit.. I wouldn't be afraid to shorten it another inch or so...

I am not sure if its this thread or another, but someone kit bashed their nosen trainer into a sorta Cessna, it didn't look bad. I wouldn't sweat the weight, I don't even recall how far past the kits recommended weight I am..but on the first flight, when the motor died, it really glided a long time..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:11 PM
foodstick

Well , with dragging feet and low ambition

I have the rear fuse recovered (unpainted), and the tail glued on. the radio was moved around some, and still needs some final attention, but the Bud Nosen Trainer XL is getting closer...

Name:	Zx71201.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1648133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98515.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1648134  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.