Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering and decal question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering and decal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering and decal question

What are your thoughts on putting a decal over a koveral brush painted covering job?
Thanks Alan
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Mr. E

Default RE: Covering and decal question

me personaly would rather paint on the dacal but if you do do stick ons i would put them on the clear coat the whole plane soo its sealed on and looks like it is a part of the plane.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have customers who have clear coated their models after they have applied vinyl graphicxs.

Thing is, there's no way to remove the graphic once this is done.

Any part of a model could easily get damaged, including a simple vinyl graphicxs or vinyl art.

With the added clear coat over the vinyl, you cannot "simply" remove it for replacement.

It's not my choice, please decide for yourself, but I cover or paint first, then I apply vinyl elements.

Charles

cfcgraphics.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47561.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1180314  
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

I quess my biggest concern is will they stay on or peel up. Also will they look ok with a painted surface. The decal would look better than me trying to paint a blue circle with a white star and a red dot all on top of each other. Especially since I am using a brush and not a air brush.
Thanks Alan
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It depends on the decal. I have vinyl graphics that were clear-painted over that have never peeled. I also have some that were on the exhaust side of the fuse that are peeling badly.

I always clear coat over decals regardless. Can't tell you how they will look on a brushed surface.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some stars and dots on a big bipe I made years ago, they were cut for me by a friend on vinyl, I clear coated with water based Poly and they have worked out very well over the years. This plane was flown at IMAA events and sat out in the hot sun for days on end. I did use a spray gun to apply the Poly though but I'm sure a brush would work OK too.