Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 2 Tail Dragger Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 2 Tail Dragger Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiger 2 Tail Dragger Conversion

What do I need to do to convert a Tiger 2 to a tail dragger? I'm more concerned about the main landing gear. I can put a tail wheel on it with no problem and set that up. Should I bend the main landing gear forward or make new gear?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 2 Tail Dragger Conversion

Unless you want to tear open the wing and move the gear blocks forward, you'll need to buy a fuse-mounted gear.

Add 1/4" ply to the inside of the fuse bottom just forward of the wing. Brace it with 1/2" tri-stock on both sides and mount the gear there
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 2 Tail Dragger Conversion

I hope old age doesn't fail me. When I did mine I belive I just turned the mains around and ran them backwards. You need to get the axle even with the leading edge. I think I used a Sullivan tail wheel assembly. It may have been a Dubro I can't remember. I just anchored the upper part into the rudder and wrapped it with a bit of fiberglass and thin CA. It flew fantastic. Ground handling was better than the trike. Well worth the mods. I also put a small piece of 1/8" lite ply under the tail wheel assembly for more wood for the screws to bite into. That's about it. I may have bent the gear some but it worked just fine. Good luck, Oh yea reinforce the gear blocks. I got the plane second hand. I managed to tear one of the blocks out on a grass field landing. I will make a 1/8" plywood half rib and glue 2 on each block. Great flying plane. You will love it.

Mark Shuman