Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

.40 Size Goldberg Tiger 2 Build Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

.40 Size Goldberg Tiger 2 Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default .40 Size Goldberg Tiger 2 Build Questions

I bought a .40 sized Tiger 2 about six years ago and built the wing, rudder and elevator and then a baby came along. Fast forward to today and I'm back on it. I'm going to make a couple of changes though. First I'm going to make it a tail dragger. I just like them better.

Secondly, I'm thinking about putting a ST G-61 on it. Will this just rip it apart? I've got the .61 and really don't want to buy a .46 for it. If I put the .61 in it what besides the firewall beef up would I need? I hear these things come out tail heavy any way so the .61 would definately help with that. Since this is a kit, I can easily beef it up where it needs it.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: .40 Size Goldberg Tiger 2 Build Questions

It really doesn't need all that power, but you can always fly it at half throttle. There's really not much you can do to beef up the firewall. Some people might say fiberglass it, but I really don't think that does much from behind. You could maybe add some FG to the front between the firewall and the cheeks, but all in all, it should handle it fine the way it is.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

It really doesn't need all that power....
Oh yea I agree but it might be fun for it to have all of that power though!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To much horse power- Just right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one years ago w/ a TT Pro .46, which was plenty of power. I did not have to add any ballast, and might think you will need tail weight to balance a .60/.61 engine. The main landing gear sits very near the CG, so while you taxi, you will likely need to keep full down elevator to keep nose gear on the ground. Extra weight of the .60 should not be a big deal though, as the plane is a floater, and it should carry any extra weight ok. Depending on the length of your engine, you may want to relocate the firewall further back to avoid the engine, prop, & spinner sticking way out in front of the cheek pieces. Of course if you do that, you open up more problems with tank space, etc. and you might want a bigger tank for the larger engine.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one with a super tigre .61 on it, I cruise around at about 1/3 throttle. Really the only thing I go all out for, well do not laugh at me to much, but have you ever seen the blue angels in a show ? They do this thing they call " maximum performance take off" the opposing solo will take off last, he will clear the deck at about 20ft tip the nose straight up and DROP THE HAMMER he then proceeds to go completely out of sight straight vertical.

The rest of the group sneaks up behind the crowd and scares the crap out of you.

I love doing the same thing with my tiger 2. I can run it down the entire runway wide open and right before I hit the grass pop up and go straight vertical even toss in some aileron rolls for effect.

Once again that is the only time I really use full throttle. There is a pic of my tiger 2 if you check out my models. For balance I moved the battery and rx behind the servo tray it balanced perfect for me.