Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sterling Stearmin, PT-17, lazer reproduction

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sterling Stearmin, PT-17, lazer reproduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
rcten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Stearmin, PT-17, lazer reproduction

NM, Good luck on your move, hope all is well. Let us know when your back online.

Rcten
Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcten

Hi NM, The yellow is ultracote cub yellow, and the gray is aluminum flashing from Home Depot, it's attached using contact cement, better be where you want it the first time, there's no second chance. Speaking of, I presume you have flown your PT-17,,, well? A few more picts.
rcten... Project sure looks good. What brand and type of contact cement are you using? Never thought of using flashing on models and want to try this in the future.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 AM
rcten

Hi Thailazer, I used DAP, Weldwood brand brush on Contact Cement. The aluminum flashing is .010 in. thick and easy to form since it not as stiff as lithoplate and of course more easily obtained. I also painted each piece before attaching.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:15 AM
u2builder

I just purchased a Sterling PT-17 kit on Ebay. Well, half a kit is what I got, as it only really had the wing parts. Someone had built the fuselage. And the tailfeathers. I am trying to get a partial refund from the seller. I think I have located another half kit that contains the fuselage. If not, I guess I could purchase the lazer cut fuselage parts.

Anyway, this build thread has been great, but it seems to have stopped. Have any of these been completed and flown yet?

I am curious what the final weight is? And whether the supplied landing gear is "sufficient". I don't really want to spend money on the Robart system if it is. But I would like to know.

I am curious how the build with the Saito 100 wound up balancing, and if the Saito 100 is a good choice, and if it was integrated with the plastic dummy engine that comes with the kit.

I am used to building a kit in a few weeks. It looks like this one may take a little longer!!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM
rcten

Hi, u2builder, good luck on finding fuselage, the lazer short kit would be better. The plans have no templates as I'm sure your awear. Haven't finished mind yet, just plane ran out of ambition, but will get back to it because I refuse to start another until it's finished. I figure it'll weight around 10 lbs. The landing original landing gear will bent easily if landing is alittle hard, as per other people who have flown this model. The Robart does make for a more scale look, plus it handles the not so perfect landings better. A 90 or 100 would be agood choice and should balance OK.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
u2builder

Thanks,

Someone is sending me a scratch and dent kit gratis. Nice fellow. I'll see if it is usable. If not I can order some lazer parts. But I need to keep expenses down where I can. I am retired and have "more time than money".

Can the wire gear be removed and replaced if it is bent? I haven't really studied the plans yet. If not, I'll have to give some thought to the Robart gear. But I'll do the wings first since I have them.

Yours was looking super nice. And that engine is to die for. It would be nice to see it finished. Thanks for the reply, and have a great HOliday.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
rcten

U2builder, if you go to post 219 you'll see how the gear, be it Robart or Sterling is bolted in on F2 and then covered with the 1/8x5/16 or thereabouts balsa strips, which precludes any access once fuselage is finished. You could stiffen the gear by using a heavier gauge wire. I believe the wire gear uses 1/8 music wire.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Sharpeye22

I often find the wire supplied with kits, (Including these old ones) is a bit soft. I will often use them as a pattern and bend my on from stiffer wire. I sometimes go up a size to get the added strength. What this does not do is give the cushion that the oily struts will give on a hard landing. The shock can well be transmitted into the airframe instead of being obsorbedby the springs of the struts.

Just food for thought.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM
u2builder

Given the way the wire gear (3/16") is buried, I am going to have to seriously consider the Robart gear. The way that the Robart gear is attached also seems more secure and spreads the loads. Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
u2builder

That picture is very good, and looks like a good mounting system. Could you tell me what wheels you used? Thanks. Joe
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
rcten

Robart 4" diamond tread, they look more scale, Sterling calls for 4.5", which are fine but they look to big and the tire contour is wrong...picky..picky.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 PM
xxwolfyxx
My Feedback: (1)

I would definitely go for the Robarts. I am almost to that point  now.
When i was growing up my dad had the stearman and I can remember the stock gear being very weak.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"If not, I'll have to give some thought to the Robart gear. But I'll do the wings first since I have them. "

Be aware, that even with the Robart gear, you will have to tear out the belly, and reconstruct things in that area to accomodate; but you will not be sorry you did so. The Robart look and work great.

Les
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM
rcten

Tear out the bottom for gear, not really unless you've already installed wire gear and closed it in. I Took F2A and glued it to the front of F2, this provided more thickness for bolts, you just need to leave out the bottom front fuse. stringers until the Robart gear is installed. The gear comes with drawings to make up the 1/4 ply mounting plates. The final setup is quite rigid. Post 220 should give you an ideal.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Tear out the bottom for gear, not really"

Oh!!!!! How does that work????

"Someone had built the fuselage"

Les
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 AM
u2builder

I haven't built my fuselage and am still awaiting a partial kit that I hope contains it; otherwise I'll order the laser cut version. My concern was that if I put in the wire gear and bent it THEN I would have to tear the plane apart, and by all accounts the Robart gear, while also buried, is stronger. Plus, it probably puts less stress on the fuselage, and the mounting, shown by a builder who used it, seems better and stronger and seems to spread loads better. So, I guess I need to fork out the dough and get the Robart system.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 AM
u2builder

Hi Folks,

I received my die crushed second kit that contains the fuselage and tail feather parts. It was obviously one of the last kits produced, and die crushed only begins to describe it. They also seeming ran of of ink, so not of the parts were marked. But it was kindly donated to me by another builder, so I am grateful to have it, though I can sure see the advantages of the laser cut version! Anyway, with patience I have been able to identify and cut out the die crushed parts and the fuselage is coming together nicely. I finished the wings, the parts for which came from the much older and better die cut balsa.

Anyway, I have been building away. I ordered the Robart gear but don't have it yet. Anyone know how long it takes Robart to produce and send the gear?

Should I mount the doubled up F2a gear bulkhead to the front side of f2, or wait till I see the Robart instructions?

Also, can someone describe what the fitting looks like that mounts the cabane wires? I am not sure what to use. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"It was obviously one of the last kits produced, and die crushed only begins to describe it."

In the last days of availability of any of original Sterling, any thing you got looked like floor sweepings. I bought a "'60 Chris craft" kit, and that was what the wood in it looked like.

Les
Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 AM
u2builder

Hi Folks,

I received my die crushed second kit that contains the fuselage and tail feather parts. It was obviously one of the last kits produced, and die crushed only begins to describe it. They also seeming ran of of ink, so not of the parts were marked. But it was kindly donated to me by another builder, so I am grateful to have it, though I can sure see the advantages of the laser cut version! Anyway, with patience I have been able to identify and cut out the die crushed parts and the fuselage is coming together nicely. I finished the wings, the parts for which came from the much older and better die cut balsa.

Anyway, I have been building away. I ordered the Robart gear but don't have it yet. Anyone know how long it takes Robart to produce and send the gear?

Should I mount the doubled up F2a gear bulkhead to the front side of F2, or wait till I see the Robart instructions?

Also, can someone describe what the fitting looks like that mounts the cabane wires? Is it the little aluminum "clamp"? I am not sure what to use.

Also, there are a couple of half round metal rods about 3 or 4 inches long and 1/8" diameter. Where do they go?

Finally did you use the stock tailwheel set up or replace it with aftermarket and if so what?

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Nintendomaniac_00

All
Hey I'm back! Have completed the move to Newberg and am settling in to the new job etc, etc. Working on a new shop area so I can pick back up on the building. U2Builder, I saw your last post and offer this info; Post #84 has some detail on the j-bolt design to secure the cabanes inside the fuselage. Note the ply reinforcements, etc. Also on the short round stock, could they be the hoops for the top of the cabanes? See post 204 and 209/210. Hard to be sure w/o a picture of what you have. Regards, NM
Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM
W5RA

Originally Posted by Nintendomaniac_00
All
Hey I'm back! Have completed the move to Newberg and am settling in to the new job etc, etc. Working on a new shop area so I can pick back up on the building. U2Builder, I saw your last post and offer this info; Post #84 has some detail on the j-bolt design to secure the cabanes inside the fuselage. Note the ply reinforcements, etc. Also on the short round stock, could they be the hoops for the top of the cabanes? See post 204 and 209/210. Hard to be sure w/o a picture of what you have. Regards, NM

I just found this thread, and wonder what happened to all the Sterling Stearman's? I have an original one built up from the kit, almost completed, and plan to use a UMS Radial 7-35 engine on it.

Charlie
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM
u2builder

Originally Posted by W5RA
I just found this thread, and wonder what happened to all the Sterling Stearman's? I have an original one built up from the kit, almost completed, and plan to use a UMS Radial 7-35 engine on it.

Charlie

I did a build thread here at RC Groups. I don't remember much as it was a while ago.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-17&perpage=40
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
W5RA

Originally Posted by u2builder
I did a build thread here at RC Groups. I don't remember much as it was a while ago.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-17&perpage=40
Thanks for the response u2builder! I went to the site and read thru your build. You built a great looking model! Mine is pretty much ready for paint.

Charlie
Old 05-24-2021, 01:12 PM
u2builder

Originally Posted by W5RA
Thanks for the response u2builder! I went to the site and read thru your build. You built a great looking model! Mine is pretty much ready for paint.

Charlie
I just discovered that mice have pretty much ruined my beautiful Stearman. . It was hanging by the prop from the ceiling and mice got inside and built a giant nest inside from the cockpit too the tail. All the stringers and bulkheads in that section are destroyed and the covering is all that is holding the tail one. What a freaking mess.

I am wondering if anyone is aware of anyone laser cutting a kit that could perhaps make me these parts. Or someone that has a wrecked model that has parts from the cockpit back. I need to build a new fuselage from the cockpit back.

Thanks for any leads!

Last edited by u2builder; 05-24-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:36 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Where are you located. I have a friend who has one assembled in the bones, never covered. It is a bit rough but would be serviceable for your needs. It was hung from a ceiling like that for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.