Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

Well maybe I should buy some ultracote. I may just order it now and when it gets here I should be ready for covering. I just fuel proofed it tonight with epoxy thinned with alcohol.
Would it be ok to add a coat of thinned epoxy to the first three rib area of the wings?

Im already thinking about what to build next! I want something real easy to build next! lol
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Nergall

On the Monokote, I can only guess that it's certain batches. I'd recommend trying out what you have before stressing. This is especially true if you are using standard colors. The neons and flats seem to cause more trouble. Personally, I've done three models in Monokote over the last year and haven't had any issues.

If what you have seems easy to work with, then you're fine. If not, you can easily peel it off and pick up an alternate brand later. The people not having much trouble aren't posting as much as the irrate users.

Also, both Monokote and Ultracote are fuel proof, so you don't need to over stress on fuel proofing every part of the model. Fuel proof the firewall, and if you want, the area the fuel tank goes in - just in case it leaks. Beyond that, you're probably just adding unnecessary weight. Finally, scratch up the "fuel proofed" areas with sand paper before covering them. Otherwise, the covering doesn't stick to well.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM
liftdump

"The people not having much trouble aren't posting as much as the irrate users."

Negrall, Thanks for your input and the tip on sanding the fuel proof areas. I always just tried to turn up the heat on those areas -looking forward to different results with that on my butterfly. I have covered over a dozen planes in monokote (the first one actually with a household iron, it flew! : ) )-and the first ones were definitely not pretty. I have never heard of any problems with it before nor have I ever tried anything else. I also agree that the flat colors are easiest to use. Over time I have learned that temperature control is a huge part of it. Learning to control heat for different applications makes a big difference in the results. Maybe other films are easier but as the saying goes "if it ain't broke....." I'm glad the gentlemen above found something that works for them.

Unless the product is defective, you really can't blame it. Covering with Monokote or any other film is somewhat of an art and seems to be a skill learned over time.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The old monokote is good. I still have several rolls that are about 30 years old and they work fine.
I just have wierd colors left and can't find a model that I want to make look really ugly.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
ejam

Well I went over to the other side, rc groups, and did some research on this subject. Same thing there. But a few stated that the transparent blue worked just like the old stuff. Most problems posted there were for the white covering not srinking right, and sagging.
I had boght the transparent blue and cub yellow and my lhs, and it seemed like they had been on the shelf for awhile. Had to wipe the dust off and the price tag was faded with another price tag under it.

My plans are to cover the whole plane in trans. blue and apply the yellow over to creat some sort of design. Or should I break it up and just have one coat using blue and cub yellow?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 AM
ejam

Well I took the time to take more pictures. As you can see in pictures, I took the advise of the instructions and bought a razor plane. My lhs didnt have a razor plane, but had something called a spoke shave by zona, it works the same. I am sure that this tool has saved me a ton of sanding.

For my first big build, I think that I have done a pretty good job on the LE shape. These two pics are of the inner wing panel LE sanded to shape. Could only upload 2 at a time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44695.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1272111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69222.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1272112  
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 AM
ejam

First pic is the left outer wing panel and the secound is the right outer wing tip after using my spoke shave,(razor plane) no sanding yet. The third pic is the inside of the right outer wing panel ready to sand.

Name:	Sq46221.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1272113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24184.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1272114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73125.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1272115  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 AM
ejam

Picture of wing panel with shaving tool and pic of fuse with a little art work. lol

Name:	Lj22799.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1272118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86530.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1272119  
Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
ejam

Well I have fuel proofed the fuse with epoxy thinned with alcohol. Painted the firewall with blue model paint and inside fuse where fuel tank sits.
I have all wing panels sanded down to shape along with tail feathers. I should have worked on it more over the weekend, but my son bought a used fun fly from a member at our club and we worked on it. The engine was gummed up and the white covering was peeling off of the front. We got the engine cleaned, covered the front with cub yellow and got it trimmed out. Not the best looking plane, but for 30 bucks, cant complain.

Name:	Xv65017.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1275157  
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
liftdump

That's a good deal.

I am ready to sheet the bottom of my Fuselage.

Name:	Vs55414.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1275194  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
ejam

mtjx3d2,
Hope your not building that in the kitchen. lol
I started my build on the kitchen table, and got yelled at when the wife got home!!! So I had to clean the garage up and make some tables. So now when I have three different planes being worked on, she cant say a thing! Yea right! But what she doesnt realize is Im teaching my boys to do something constructive and keeping them off the streets. This hobby will be something that they can stay with for a very long time and have some good clean fun. Its very rewarding to take a bunch of balsa sticks, ply, and cover it and have it to fly!

Great job! post more pics of your progress! Do you have any covering tip? The only thing that I have covered before was some tissue on Guillow's kit. The fun fly that I just did, looked like crap, but after taking the heat gun to it, it made some of the wrinkles go away. I did burn a hole in one area.
Have fun I cant wait till I finish my Butterfly!! well really its my yungest boys plane, but I will fly it too!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its about 1 pm hear and I'm out of reasons not to start the trim on the fuse I had one go, it looked crap so it whent on the floor{ it was monokote} so now it all white {solar film} so I need to add one or two lines to match the wings. when thats complete I will post a shot or two to help keep your game up. I did a lot of building on the red gum table that I payed around 4 grand for,its geat all you need to rember is not to push the pins to far in and watch what your doing with the glue. Yours Paul T

\ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBw5qk4NiGY Thats me with the kids
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 PM
liftdump

LOL!!! Thats funny. Not the kitchen but close [:@] I have been married to the same beautiful woman now for 17 years now , and I have been building airplanes on and off for the whole time. I learned my boundaries early and the kitchen would definitely put me into enemy territory. We do have a small house so it can be challenging at times. Its too hot and muggy to build in the garage now. What I wouldn't give for a workshop!!!!! I did not get anything done tonight on it. Watched a movie with mamma instead.

I also picked up a parkzone Radian today. Looks like a fun sailplane. I too am teaching my son to fly -he is 7 years old. He's excited to get this into the air. This could be a small distraction to my butterfly. I will keep updating as I move along. Hope you all do the same.

As far as covering goes...

Iron temp is a big deal.
If you can use a sock -it helps not scratch and mark up your covering
Dont shrink with a heat gun till your done covering, and then do it evenly and systematic, you can easily put a big warp in the wing
heating and pulling, heating and pulling....works well on compound curves.
I coated my last few models with Balsarite, really helps the monokote to stick, also protects your wood
As mentioned on this thread above, the Flat non special colors are easiest to work with.
Buy a big pack of razor blades and change then often
The covering section in the butterfly manual is good.
also you tube has quite a few videos on the subject.
I love my century iron -way better than the topflite I originally bought. excellent temp control and worth the money to me.
stick to a simple trim design.
and as I just recently learned, scratch up the fuel proofed areas to help the monokote stick better.

I hope this helps, I am always learning new tips and tricks. I am by no means an expert but in my opinion and a few others can make a descent looking model.

Well you all have a good night and keep the updates and info coming.

Im looking forward to some lawn chair flying!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:31 AM
ejam

mtjx3d2,

One thing I should tell you about the Parkzone Radian, if your son hasnt flown yet, you might want to launch it for him. Bring it to a good altitude, and give him controls.

I bought the Radian a few months ago, and I thought it would be an easy flyer. It is but I had a problem with the launch, and getting it to altitude. But once you get it high up and level it out, it becomes very easy.

About my work area, I was lucky enough to have windows in my garage, so I just put a small a/c in there. It controls the humidity as well. I to am space challanged, so the garage was my only option.
Good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Quigleywins

[img][/img] Well after a huge problem with the computer hear is the final photo with one of the co-pilots I have left room for improvement. yours Paul T

Name:	Ay75021.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	1275695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93604.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	1275696  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
liftdump

Looks very nice, well done!!!!

How did your CG come out?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Quigleywins

With the os15 its tail heavy I wish I had put the servos more to the front but you do these things and have to live with it I am yet to instal the fuel tank batterys reciever etc yet that will help but I think it will not solve the problem That next weeks work. Will start the next project later today. I always have up to three in the building stage at a time,it add to the confusion in the building room. I love doing the wings I could build them all daylong , I do have a VK fokker DR1 1/6 scale and a top flite SE5a. There are 10 or so big Kit sitting just waiting .When I get a kit I then obtain an engine and servos and put the lot away till I get the buss needed to start the build I know that I will never fly many 0f them I just like having them. Yours Paul. T
\ PS I will take a photo of my glider collection next week and you will see what my problem is.{not the kits just the finished ones]
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
ejam

Nice covering job. Im going to cover mine in transparent blue, then add cub yellow to make some kind of design.
Good luck
Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Quigleywins

If you like yellow and blue this is one that is under construction in the shed I was building it at the same time as the butterfly I hope you have a strong blue as in the photo. Red is a good joining colour I just love Yellow. Yours Paul

Name:	Ec87534.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1276960  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

The Butterfly is a great flyer... many years of trusted service... OS15 is what powers this one. Enjoy.

Name:	Tr51669.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1277020  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Dead eyes

I know its crazy, but I had a OS LA .40 on mine. (its all I had laying around the shop at the time). Talk about high performance takeoffs,

Name:	Qo38761.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1277505  
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 AM
ejam

Update on Butterfly build.
Well I have been slowly working on the butterfly, due to my 11 year old son. The funfly he bought needed some work. We got it flight ready and took it to the field Sunday. He had his instructor buddy box the first flight to work the bugs out, then he was on his own. It was fun cleaning the engine up and recovering areas. I was impressed on how well the O.S. 40 la ran.
Back to the Butterfly, I have the joiner tubes glued in. And while waiting for the epoxy to dry, I started with the engine mounting and fuel tank. But I ran into a problem. I had glued the firewall in upside down. So I had to pull the blind nuts out and re drill holes. Should have the engine and fuel tank in by morning. I will try to get some pictures in on next post.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
liftdump

UPDATE ON MY BUTTERFLY BUILD.....

I worked on it quite a bit last week. I have everything built at this point. I still need to fuel proof the firewall and wing saddle, I did inside the fuel compartment already. I am using a .25FX w a Dave Brown engine mount and a 4 oz fuel tank. I chose to put a refuel valve in the right forward side of the fuse due to the location of the needle valve behind the motor and motor mount. My fuel line will not be accessible between the mount and motor cylinder. No way to get my fingers in there. I also did not want to pull the hatch off to refuel all of the time either. Probably could have went with a bigger mount but the mount I used was specifically made for this motor. Wish O.S. would have left the needle valve up front on the side of the carb. Other than that I have not come into any problems. I did have to re level my fuel tank after I realized I glued in the the rail supports at an angle that was level with my fuse on the table instead of at a level flight attitude. This would of caused the fuel to flow forward and uncover the clunk in level flight. figured that out before I glued the tank supports in. now I have it set so it is slightly tipped back in level flight.

I ordered my monokote and a few other things that I need to finish it. I should start covering next week as I am traveling now. I liked the colors quigleywins used... so I ordered similar. I will post pics in a few days.

Its nice to hear everyone's progress.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Aerobatx

Leave the wing in 2 pieces.

My friend had one we used to take turns flying, it had a OS 15 on it and a 4 oz tank, climb with it till it runs out of fuel and the time the descent.

His house is 15 miles from our flying field, out in the middle of nowhere, and one day he decided to see if he could fly it from his house out to the flying field. Surprisingly enough it made the whole way under power, and MORE surprisingly, he followed in a convertible at 55 mph!!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
ejam

Well I just received my order form horizon hobby. I bought the ultracote transparent blue and bright yellow. I think Im going to go with one more color, apple green. It just reminds me of the jolly ranchers candy. I do have a question. When using three different colors to make a design, do you layer them. What I wanted to do is, cover the whole plane in blue, then add the yellow and green to make so type of design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.