Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Problem with a Kit I just purchased >

Problem with a Kit I just purchased

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Problem with a Kit I just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with a Kit I just purchased

I just bought a CG Ultimate 10-300.

I've built three of them, this is the 4th time I'be bought this kit. Every previous kit I owned was great...no problems at all. In fact, the last one I bought had a fiberglass cowling and wheel pants.

This is obviously a more recent kit....but it has gone back to the ABS cowl. The REAL problem is the canopy is all fogged. It must have been a problem during manufacture or something...but it's unevenly fogged and just looks like hell.

So this kit was manufactured in Georgia after Lanier bought GOldberg. It has the Georgia address on the box...and now GP owns Lanier...so who do I contact?? Or should I take it to the hobby shop?? This is the first time I've encountered a problem with a kit that I couldn't deal with on my own..

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Problem with a Kit I just purchased

I woud go back where you bought it .Let them deal with the people they bought it from
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would contact GP they might trade you one. At worst you will have to buy one. I doubt the dealer could do anything unless it came down to buying the kit back and sending it back to its distributer for their money which was probably Hobby Co anyway.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Well the hobby shop told me to call Great Planes Service center....which is what I'll do. Hopefully the customer service dept. is decent...

We'll see!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM

If you have no luck with GP the other option is to call Fiberglass Specialties Inc. I believe that they have it. http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/
Jim
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Well boy do I feel like a jag.

I called and the woman informed me there's a real thin cellophane that will peel off. Kinda like when you get a new cell phone the thin protective film you peel off the screen.

All the canopies I've dealt with were always just covered in tissue paper....ohh well, ya live ya learn!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i only laughed at this thread because i can picture myself probably thinking the same thing. I too have only had kits and even arfs that had tissue paper protecting the canopy plastic.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM

You can thank the wonderful people at Great Planes for taking a wonderful kit and turning it into crap.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

I called and the woman informed me there's a real thin cellophane that will peel off. Kinda like when you get a new cell phone the thin protective film you peel off the screen.

All the canopies I've dealt with were always just covered in tissue paper....ohh well, ya live ya learn!

I'm finding it gets better with age. About two weeks ago I was taking off with my Seagull Extra 260 .90 ARF, and I forgot that I had my thumb pressing the left stick on my controller. I let go in time, I caught myself in time saving myself from a serious crash. A couple of guys at my Club asked, " What was that all about?" I answered, " Brain Fart!"

Gee, I was wondering why my plane was trying to do high speed circles on the ground. [&:]

Pete
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: tschuy

You can thank the wonderful people at Great Planes for taking a wonderful kit and turning it into crap.
....interesting. We've changed absolutely zero in the model. Same tooling, same wood, same instructions, same packaging.

In any case, if something's not right with a kit we support, a simple phone call or an email to us will enable us to see how we can help you.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Bax

....interesting. We've changed absolutely zero in the model. Same tooling, same wood, same instructions, same packaging.

In any case, if something's not right with a kit we support, a simple phone call or an email to us will enable us to see how we can help you.

I recently did that for a Twin Star that Ipurchased from Tower. The fuselage covering was very poorly done and the film used to cover it was about as bad as it gets. I tried to correct the issue with my coverite monokote iron to no avail. Even with me slowly walking the temperature to over 380 degree's the wrinkles in the film remained. Icalled the customer service and the quick response with a replacement was sent. Problem was the replacement was worse then the original that Irecieved. It would seem that there are some serious quality control issues with the products that are sold through Great Planes and Tower Hobbies. What can be done to address those?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a defective item, then it can be sent to us for coverage under the warranty. For something like a kit component, it would be replaced. However, we do need to see it.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Bax

I recently did that for a Twin Star that I purchased from Tower. The fuselage covering was very poorly done and the film used to cover it was about as bad as it gets. I tried to correct the issue with my coverite monokote iron to no avail. Even with me slowly walking the temperature to over 380 degree's the wrinkles in the film remained. I called the customer service and the quick response with a replacement was sent. Problem was the replacement was worse then the original that I recieved. It would seem that there are some serious quality control issues with the products that are sold through Great Planes and Tower Hobbies. What can be done to address those?

what kind of kit problem took you to respond the way you did? I bought a US 60 recently a basic kit re-manufacture after the dies sat on the shelf and I opened the box and was elated to what i saw inside the box, plan on building it this winter. the original guy who posted this thread only had a problem after not realizing the removable film that was on the canopy was that which made it look hazy, other than that seemed happy with his Goldberg purchase. this is a kit forum after all so the ARF of which you mention didnt apply here.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 PM

I've bought four ARFs in a row, 2 SIGs, an E-Flite and a Seagull. All but one had unbelievably bad wrinkling of the covering out of the box.

I think this is normal.

And in my experience it's no big deal. I'd rather they let me shrink the covering than shrinking it in China or Viet Nam.

I used a heat gun on each one and all came out perfect, tight as a drum. I tacked around the edges with an iron and hit them hard with the gun. I did burn/tweak the Seagull covering in one spot but no big deal - the advice from that is don't rush it.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

Hahahaha....I was going to reply and post this, but I didn't want to insult you! Glad it was that simple!