Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Traplet 72in Bucker Jungmann

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Traplet 72in Bucker Jungmann

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:34 PM
ttolliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traplet 72in Bucker Jungmann

Okay gang, I know this is backwards. But the urge was upon me and I bought a set of plans and now I'm seeing if there are any build threads or similar good info out there about the plans. I haven't located any yet. I followed the order with a call to Traplet to see if there was a construction article available for reprint, but no dice.

At any rate, I decided to get a set of plans for the 72" Bucker Jungmann from Traplet plans and see how they suit me.

The RCM Jungmann was a very close second and appears highly regarded for being true to scale, but I'm shooting for a sport flier more than anything else and the flying wires and such on the RCM version made me shudder. Not to say that I can't lean back that way once I see the plans from Traplet.

As a side note, there's a Carl Goldberg Bucker Jungmann on ebay right now (paired with a Webra 1.20 and muffler) that set me on this little quest. I considered trying for that one, but I've always liked the 30's styling of the original rather than the modernized lines of the Goldberg version.

Thanks,
Tom

PS I know this is the kit forum, but plans building seemed a little closer to this forum than scratch building [sm=72_72.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10781.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1263110  
Old 08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Red B.

Default RE: Traplet 72in Bucker Jungmann

There is plenty of information about the Bücker Jungmann to be found on the Internet. I have a soft spot for all things Bücker, and have built both Jungmanns and Jungmeisters from scratch. Since it is quite a simple aircraft, building it from plans is not very complicated. As with all biplanes the cabane struts require som accurate bending and assembly of piano wires. Some soldering skills may come in handy as well.
I actually prefer the Jungmann before the Jungmeister because the Jungmann does have an in-line engine, whereas all Jungmeisters except for the prototype used radial engines. Biplanes are draggy to begin with and a big radial engine doesn't help things. Compared to the Jungmeister the Jungmann is better in knife edge maneuvers and has a slightly wider speed range.

In this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_822975/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]thread[/link] I have posted some information about the Jungmann and Jungmeister that may be of interest. If you need some other information please let me know and I will see what I can dig out of my archive.

Jungmann:

Jungmester prototype:
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM
ttolliver

I too prefer look of the inline cowl. Last night while spending a lazy hour or two browsing plans sites and such I was amazed at the tremendous number of Jungmeister kits/plans compared to the relatively few Jungmanns.

And in hindsight, I see that I asked for info about the plane, not the plans (fixed). Although info about the plane is a pleasure too!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, here's the be-all, end-all thread on giant scale buckers, started many moons ago by Ken, aka "Big Bird"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-27-2009, 10:22 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both fly great, so it is opinion of what you like. The real Jungmann's engines were not as reliable as the radials and the Jungmiester was for advanced pilots so it was top dog. Of the real planes it is like a 65hp Cub vs a 150hp Clipped Wing Cub; same but not. Most Jungmanns in the US have alternate engines the 2 here have Lycoming o-360s which turn it into a Jungmiester performance wise.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
ttolliver

Thanks for the link, LuvBipes. I just scanned a couple pages. This'll be a fun one to work through.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:44 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have cut all of the parts for this model from the plan, but have not yet started building it.

I have so far found that the front fuselage formers that have to interlock with the small internal sheet fuselage sides, had the slots marked wrongly spaced on some of the formers.

I advise you therefore to double check issues like that. Not a problem to fix it, just to identify such errors before begining construction.

BTW I built the Swordfish form the plans of the same source (Traplet, and the plan originating from the CAP kits long ago) and there too found quite a few mistakes on the plans, usually such typical drafting errors.

Since the Jungmann plan originated from a kit, I found some details of the cabanes missing. Probably they were provided pre-bent from ali tube in the kit. Still, with a little thought you can reverese engineer them.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 AM
ttolliver

Thanks for the tips Erez.

I spent a little more time last night searching the internet for any references to the Traplet Jungmann and continued to be amazed that there weren't any. We've become so used to finding tons of content on just about any obscure topic that it's hard to accept not finding anything. I figured I'd have to wait for the plans to arrive so I could see the credited author, then search under that name. Your comment that these may be from old CAP kits may just be the missing link!

Tom