Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM
JulianF25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, thank you. It was fun writing about the old days. I'll dig around and see if I can find any pictures of the Sophisticated Lady.

Regards,
Julian
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Carl Goldberg was king of kits back in the mid 50's when I cut my teeth on his CL P-40 with a red head .35 engine, it lasted 3 years before it went in nose first because the engine came lose. I moved on for 55 years and got back in the hobby and the first thing I did was look for a Eagle 11 to learn radio control, I still have it. I did build other TF planes and then found the Tiger 60, I saw something more in that plane and modified every thing on it for more performance and boy did I get it, made a cowl for it and put a DLE20 in it and there is nothing it won't do, hover too. Wing is raised and tube mounted.

It's a shame to lose people with the vision Carl Goldberg had and will never replace them when their gone. Times change over all the years and it's only going to get worse, we are losing builders left and right and are faced with the up and coming I-pad and I phone dead heads that aren't going to be able to build anything. If your lucky enough to find some of those old kits you better grab them, soon they'll all be gone.

While I have other planes to fly, none are as much fun as my Tiger 60.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000944.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	917.3 KB
ID:	2226074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000946.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2226075  
Old 07-29-2017, 04:55 PM
JulianF25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leroy, that's a great looking tiger. Excellent work!

regards,
Julian
Old 08-07-2017, 01:31 PM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

That's a beauty for sure Leroy. Looking back at your Tiger build, and now having flown it, is there anything that you would change or do different? I think I need a Tiger back in my hangar, will be buying the kit soon...
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Vince, thanks for your comment. No I wouldn't change a thing I did to the tiger 60. I studied that plane and found it lacked performance where the tail was concerned plus being tail heavy so decided to revamp the whole thing and put a DLE 20cc engine in it to deal with the balance problem. Not caring for the bolt on wing which is full symmetrical I raised it and tube mounted it for quick and solid field assembly.

I built that plane right here, I will go get it and post it, might give others ideas about things that can be done to this plane if your looking for performance and something that will fly through the wind.

Actually they have chopped it up but it's still all together at RCG at www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786693

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 08-13-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:00 AM
BKDM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello From Cape Town, South Africa.

So pleased to stumble across this thread.
I learnt to fly on a CG Gentle Lady over 20 years ago, gentle slope soaring on the south coast of SA. It was also rebuilt a good few times after I tried things with it like towing it up with an Eagle 25..(Didn't end well..)

My Dad has a CG 182 and had a Falcon 56, he also had a Skylark which was part built in around 1968. I then did a bit more work on it in the late 90s and then over the last few months converted to electric and maiden flew it two weekends ago. What a lovely aircraft to fly.
I wanted to upload a photo but I am to new here

Keep safe,
Bryan
The following users liked this post:
jeep36 (04-12-2021)