Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Less fumes than CA?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Less fumes than CA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less fumes than CA?

I'm looking for other options other than CA. Someting less harsh but not as slowdrying as glue.
I have been assembling a seagull spacewalker ll and noticed a day after using CA my right eye started having pain again. I say again because while building my f4u corsair about 6 months ago I started having right eye problems. Lucky me I'm an optical lab technicianwith an in house optometrist so he checked me out. Turns out It was Iris Itis. I have had 3 flair ups and each seem to be when I'm using CA but not every time.
Has anybody had any problems like this?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Less fumes than CA?

One thing that helps alot when using CA ,is to put a small fan blowing across your building board . I also use flex tips, from Zap , which make it much easier to control the amount of glue use.
The fan does really help and having a fairly large building area I was having similar problems , that you are having and the fan has cleared it up ..My shop is 36 x 48 and that helps alot, with the fresh air thats available.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

It's like cutting onions,,
Just don't hover over the CA while you're applying it,,, the Thinner the CA the worse it is for me..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 AM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

I seem to be getting more of a reaction to it lately as well. Just last night I was reinforcing the cowl and pod with thin CA and glass tape for a Seamaster 40 that I'm building. I got a couple snoot-fulls of it and had to throw in the towel. My nose was so irritated that I couldn't stand it anymore.
Would a good quality respirator help?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

There's Super Phatic that is a cross between CA and "white"glue.

Use it as the CA i.e. assemble pieces than apply SP in the joint. But It's not CA.

Can't be more specific as I haven't used it myself yet.
Maybe someone will pitch in...
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
johneckert
My Feedback: (15)

Just FYI... Bob Smith Industries (BSI) sells an odorless CA.[link=http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/oca.html]SuperGold & SuperGold+[/link] I'm troubled with asthma and too many hours with regular CA can send me the the ER. The BI product works pretty well.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
mclina

I build in a pretty small storage room in my basement. After about three planes, it got so that I couldn't use CA without feeling like I had the flu.

I finished one plane wearing one of those respirators from the hardware store. My lungs felt much better, but it sort of took the fun out of building.

I switched to Titebond, and only use CA where it is absolutely necessary (soaking threads, CA hinges, tacking down sheeting, etc.).

I'm sure that a larger work area with better ventilation would help.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

I use a fan as well as I was so sick of getting all stuffed up for days on end from thin CA. The fan really works well, even on low settings, as CA on adheres where there's moisture (aka your nose/sinus/eyes/throat/ears/etc). If it's dissipated away with a fan, it will adhere to the moisture in the air and settle and wont bother you.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I developed an allergy to CA fumes a couple of years ago. Thought I was getting the flu, but it turned out to be CA reaction. Once I figured this out, I purchased a dual cartridge face respirator that fits over the nose and mouth. What a difference! Breathing clean, sweet air. No more stinky fumes for me, I use the respirator for anything that stinks bad. So yeah, I can highly recommend a respirator for those who are affected by breathing the fumes.

As for the eyeballs, I think a fan is a good idea. That and an open window.

I have some of the foam safe, odorless CA glue. Although it works, it is thicker and more viscous than normal CA so it cannot be a total replacement for all CA's.

The new SuperPhatic sounds interesting. I will give that a try some day.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
FentonFlyer

Tom,
Can you give me more details on the respirator you're using?
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
mclina

The one I used was pretty much like this one, probably just an older model which was all white:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...628080.2629236
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
FentonFlyer

Thanks, mclina. I'll check those out.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
BBW Walt

I have a ceiling fan over my work bench that works pretty good to scatter the fumes around. Its kinda the nature of the beast with CA. Like welding, keep your head out of the plume..
Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM
adaptabl

Super Phatic is great to use. It does take about 5 minutes to be able to move parts but it is as light as CA and has no smell. Many modelers who can not handle the smell of CA are using this product. Give it a try.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: johneckert

Just FYI... Bob Smith Industries (BSI) sells an odorless CA.[link=http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/oca.html]SuperGold & SuperGold+[/link] I'm troubled with asthma and too many hours with regular CA can send me the the ER. The BI product works pretty well.
It has been my experience that "odorless" is synonymous with "foam safe." I don't know if foam safe CA is as good when working with wood/balsa as regular CA.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
drube

Thanks guys,
Now that you mention it, I was usingThin CA when my problem startedthen flaired back up. I'm glad i'm not the only one who's had problems with it. It doesn't feel to good when your eye starts swelling. Ithought that wasa signI wasgetting old... Being 41 and all..
I will check out Super Phatic, Titebond and SuperGold & SuperGold+Are those somethingmy LHS should have or would I need to buy online?
I build in a double car garage with 3 fans blowing on hi, the garage door is 3/4 the way up and the side door is wide open.
I wasbummed thinking that I might not be able to build any more. I'm glad there's coices and I can build more than one plane.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
p51 fan

Take a look at this web site. The guy started the company because he could no longer stand the fumes from CA. I have started using his Super Phatic and will not tounch CA unless it is really needed for hinges etc. Take a look.

http://www.ontarioadhesives.ca/index...d&productId=11

http://www.ontarioadhesives.ca/index...iewDoc&docId=6
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
drube

Thanks for the links p51.  Looks good to me!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I use Franklin Titebond aliphatic resin. Non toxic and odorless. The initial tack strength is high enough that the parts usually stay stuck together without pinning. Cleans up with a damp sponge.

I only use CA when there is no other option.