Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Best Paint for ABS Cowl/Wheelpants? >

Best Paint for ABS Cowl/Wheelpants?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Paint for ABS Cowl/Wheelpants?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Paint for ABS Cowl/Wheelpants?

Hi all,

I need to paint an ABS cowl and need advice as to what kind of paint works best. Right now the two halves are joined with glass tape and c/a. The low spots on the outside are filled with epoxy/microbaloons, with Bondo spot putty over that. It's all sanded smooth and ready for primer.
I tried some rustoleum high build rattle can stuff, then top coated with Topflite lustrecote on a scrap piece. After almost 2 weeks, the paint and primer can be scraped of with a fingernail pretty easily. I think that maybe I didn't let the primer cure out long enough before top coating.

I don't want to take a chance on ruining this cow, so any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Paint for ABS Cowl/Wheelpants?

I use Omni AU which is a 2 part urathane. I get it at lordco. When the instructions are followed it is bulletproof. On abs and fiberglass I undercoat with lustrecote primer, let cure for 24 hours scuff with a grey 3m pad then pray the omni au colors. I have tried up to hot 30% fuel, stands up to it. But u gotta let it cure at the proper tempurature for at least 3 days. I usually let it cure for 5 to be safe. The omni au is a single coat application the ppg concept is a base coat clear coat but much more expensive. Take yer pick. u need a sprayer. The colors cover VERY nicely but the metallics tend to be a bit transparent.

U also need a good respirator...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73947.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1371747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21650.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1371748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36569.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1371749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97283.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1371750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34041.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1371751  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, TWN.

I'm looking for something a little cheaper that doesn't require specialized equipment, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My "specialized" equipment consists of a $30 buget end bager airbrush and a $60 3 gallon compressor.

Automotive shops will also put this paint mixed up into spray cans too but since it is a 2 part u gotta use it all up or it will flash in the can. It would probably live for 12-16 hours in the can before flashing. Lordco matches the colors to any covering for me too with their scanner. They get it very close! The metallic blue was a dead on color match.

You can also dope the cowl and I have sprayed thinned dope with great success. I don't like dope because the colors are bland.

As far as a nitro proof "in the can option" sold over the counter I have no idea other than lustrecote. Sig use to sell dope in a spray can. Coverite sells a urathane in a spray can that is fuel proof. There may be others in the hobby line of products.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM

I have used Krylon Fusion with success, seems to be 15% nitro fuel proff.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 PM

twn,

Maybe "specialized" was the wrong term. I have a compressor and spray guns, but it's cold here and my garage is not heated. I need something I can squirt in my basement while the wife is out

huck,

I've read some good things about light colored rustoleum as well. I need white, so this is probably what I'll wind up using.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 PM

I use polyurethane marine enamel. I bring in a piece of covering to the paint store and they scan the colour to match the paint. It's durable and stands up to 15% nitro without any clearcoat or sealer. I sprayed it with an airbrush, and it has a beautiful glossy finish. I have had good luck with Tremclad straight out of the can as well.

I've never been able to get a nice finish or colour match with lustrekote, and the Hangar 9 paint that I have used didn't come close to matching and just dissolved when it even came close to fuel.