Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cub Struts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cub Struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:06 AM
spencer321
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub Struts

Hey i inherited a Carl Goldberg cub kit and i was wondering how could i make struts for it as usual your input is appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Cub Struts

Spencer,
Go to www.thecubden.org and there are some instructions on how to make some for a 1/4 scale model out of alluminium. The can be left attached and fold down when not in use. I think you could make these work for a smaller plane.
Good luck
Alan
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

On the Goldberg Cub they are not structural, just for looks... but the Cub looks funny without them in my opinion. The Hardware suppiled in the kit is junk(plastic crap), they just use 2 each side Spruce (I think) 1/2"X1/4" by about 22 inches long rectangle stock you are supposed to round off the corners after you create the "V" shape. It attaches to two points under each wing and one point near where the rear landing gear hinge is on a real Cub. Just cover them or paint them but attaching them is up to you. I am at that point on my Cub and am going to make them stay on the airplane with small metal brackets screwed to the 3 points on each wing, I did this before and it worked great. I did add support inside the wings that is much beefier than plans call for and the brass threaded inserts (4-40) in the wing mounts so I can fly with them attached. I am also going to add the smaller central supports if I can make them look good. I would post pics but I havent built them just yet... they are lying on the bench with all the attachment hardware though . Do you have the original plans? doesnt sound like he gave them to you but I bet somebody where you fly has some! might help out but they are very simple! if you look under each wing 18 1/4" from the cabin side or 20 3/4 from CL (measured for you) there might be the mounting holes.Let us know how you come out on them ok?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
spencer321

yeah i have the plans and i will take a look at them and i did mount a piece to for the struts to go into i put 2-56 blind nuts in there so i can use cap head screws i will probably use a swivel on the wing part and make the part that attaches to the fuse solid metal as for parts i have some air foiled aluminum if that doesn't pan out i will go for the wood ones and try that.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Daddyo57

Cant go wrong with the airfoil shaped struts! the measurements I gave are for the full span wings (should have mentioned that) if the mounts are there then it should be pretty easy to get accomplished. Let us know how it works for you ok?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 PM
spencer321

i will for sure im going to get some pictures taken soon and ill do a before and after. this bird is gonna be nice im covering it old school with solartex!!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Daddyo57

I did my first one with solartex and sprayed it Cub yellow and it was gorgeous! and not heavy with 3 cans of paint on her. I am doing this bird with the Olive Drab Monokote with Dove Gray on the bottom and invasion stripes, sort of scale as I am not going to try to do the full L-4 treatment on the Goldberg Cub but it will look good I am hoping. I am running a Saito .80 twin 4 stroke and I went nuts and fabbed my own scale (close anyway) landing gear for it, I am close to starting the cover job right after I build the struts hopefully tomorrow. Couple of pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75464.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1374853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79666.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1374854  
Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 AM
spencer321

man that suspension set up you have there is pretty sweet. im not goin super crazy scale with it but i want it to look good. my motor setup is an os 70 ultimate with a 16 O.Z. fuel tank. i should get about 25 mins of flight time on about half throttle. The motor runs with a ton of power so it should be good. and if i feel the need to deck it out i can do it later but this plane will probably end up on floats!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a set of these from Horizon, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4035 . They are for the Piper Pawnee 40 size. They are about 20 inches long and have all the attach hardware.