Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

building from ordered plans

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

building from ordered plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
jeffsos3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building from ordered plans

hey there! i happen to be browsing the model airplane new website and i noticed they have plans on there for many different airplanes but im prety new to the hobby. i have only build a coupld planes from kits. but i have been considering ordering the plans to try and attack a scratch build. what i am wonderring is if u order a set of plans does it come with any type of an instruction manuel for to follow like a regular kit does or do u just have to know all that stuff already. theres a nice pitts special s1a on there i would really like to take a wack at i dont mind having to cut my own pieces and such. but it dosnt say anything about the plans comming with any kind of instructions?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 AM
huck1199

Default RE: building from ordered plans

The package does not come with instructions. Sometimes there is a magazine article showing the build and the plans will point you to the issue of the magazine.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM
outdoorhunting

I've not seen any plans that come with instructions, although I'm sure some are out there. I'd suggest that you start your first plan build with something a little simpler than a Pitts. Check out: www.dansantitchmodels.com His dad designed the Mid West Hots series, one of the most popular aerobatic RC planes in a long time. I got the "Hots" (60 size) for my first "scratch build" I was scared to death I'd screw something up. The Hots are a simple-straight forward build & fly like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98100.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1384536  
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As was stated above, if plans come with anything they will come with the build article that was published at the time the plans were in the magazine. Of course this applies only to the plans services ran by magazine, RCM and MAN, but may not include plans from services such as the AMA. That doesn't mean you won't get an article from them, but it's not given. And even plans from the magazines may not come with the article as well.Even if the plans have the article with them it's not going to be instructions like you are used to from a purchased kit. Remember that when articles are published in a magazine they are usually limited to space they can use, so the amount of instructions they can include will be limited compared to "full blown kits". Most of these plans will assume that you already have the skills to do many of the steps required to build, so the plans may only point out things in particular to pay attention to. If you want to build from plans it's a good idea to get a good number of kits under your belt first so that you can build up the experience needed to tackle a plans build.Ken
Old 02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
jeffsos3000

thank you very much to all of you for your replies and advice, looks like il stick to kit building for a while. i think i smell an astrohog on the horizon
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what everyone is mentioning. You get the plans and the building article from the magazine. They are a help but nothing like instructions at all.
They sometimes help but I have gotten a few that just make you scratch your head and wonder. Bipes are a bit, sometimes more then a bit, harder to build and assemble then a single wing plane. MAN plans have a number of designs for first time builders and they use a letter system to tell you how hard or easy they are to build. Could be a number system too? After #2 or B then they start getting harder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74830.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1384783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37505.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1384784  
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

it really helps to have the article that goes with the plans,I know of one b-26 plan that the wing is built upside down and the only mention of it is in the article.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:26 PM
mikegordon10

I bought a set of plans from Roy Vaillancourt of a giant scale Sea Fury. As an option there was a photo pack of the construction of the Model. Maybe 30 or so photos of the various steps in the construction process. This was a big help but it's far cry from a Sig or Great Planes instruction manual.
I was able to successfully complete the build but I had built many, many kits before that. Start out with something simple and build on from there.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It never hurts to do a web search of any type of build as well. You might find a step by step build, and trouble points explained...and peoples pictures are worth gold sometimes.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

I've not seen any plans that come with instructions, although I'm sure some are out there. I'd suggest that you start your first plan build with something a little simpler than a Pitts. Check out: www.dansantitchmodels.com His dad designed the Mid West Hots series, one of the most popular aerobatic RC planes in a long time. I got the "Hots" (60 size) for my first "scratch build" I was scared to death I'd screw something up. The Hots are a simple-straight forward build & fly like a dream.
The link is broken. Ieven tried a cut and past in case the hyperlink was wrong. any help? By the way, really like the covering job.

Don
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only other thing is try to find a building buddy. I have a freind htat has built many many kits, he now does nto build kits, he just makes his own design , but I know that he would be very helpfull to me if I need any help. He mentioned a couple of times, just come over for a day and we will get most of the plane cut and built.

Hope that helps

Jon
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Another main key is to study study study the drawings,

At first they seem more like a hidden treasure map than plans..After awhile you will start to see and understand all the little things that at first don't make sense.. Little squiggles that mean plywood grain direction, at first just seem to be drawn for looks,not informational detail . Learning where pieces interlock, or are tabbed, and sometimes butt joint together will become more obvious. I don't think I have ever built a plan that came with full parts templates..usually you have to look at the plans close for some of the bigger pieces, make note of where the part separates from doublers, sheeting ,etc....

The one thing about building by plans is to male sure the plane has been built and flown with good results, And you can expect to remake some parts no matter how close you made them to the templates.. it just happens...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Another main key is to study study study the drawings,

At first they seem more like a hidden treasure map than plans..After awhile you will start to see and understand all the little things that at first don't make sense.. Little squiggles that mean plywood grain direction, at first just seem to be drawn for looks,not informational detail . Learning where pieces interlock, or are tabbed, and sometimes butt joint together will become more obvious. I don't think I have ever built a plan that came with full parts templates..usually you have to look at the plans close for some of the bigger pieces, make note of where the part separates from doublers, sheeting ,etc....

The one thing about building by plans is to male sure the plane has been built and flown with good results, And you can expect to remake some parts no matter how close you made them to the templates.. it just happens...
By the time I have figured out the wood i need to order I have gone over the plans several time and have the build pretty well fixed in my head. It takes me several days of going blind just looking at the plans for any sizes I have missed!! I write all the sizes down then like to phone Lone Star Balsa and place my order over the phone instead of the computer. Once I had to phone them and let the lady know I had made a mistake and needed more wood, she was so surprised that a man admitted to making a mistake she sent me what I forgot for free. Guess I was one of the first people that made the mistake instead of them.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: foodstick

It never hurts to do a web search of any type of build as well. You might find a step by step build, and trouble points explained...and peoples pictures are worth gold sometimes.

that's exactly what i did. i saw a build thread that mesmerized me. so i ordered the plans and started building. i have very little building experience but just took my time. here's my progress so far.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6819340/tm.htm

and i couldn't have done it without the build thread i found.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 AM
outdoorhunting

Sorry, my bad. I copied it down wrong. www.dansantichmodels.net The 60size plan calls for a non-detatchable wing. I made mine detatchable for the covenience for transportation. Ed
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Sorry, my bad. I copied it down wrong. www.dansantichmodels.net The 60size plan calls for a non-detatchable wing. I made mine detatchable for the covenience for transportation. Ed
Good site!! Great choice of planes too. A few years back I got one of the Mid West Hots kits at auction, built it three years ago and it and my Bridi Kaos were almost always with me at teh field. Sometimes I just left them in my van for days on end. For anyone thinking of building a first time plans built plane this is a good choice. Very easy cutting of parts and you end up with one of the all time great fun fly planes!!