Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Cyno POISONING? >

Cyno POISONING?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cyno POISONING?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyno POISONING?

I have placed this here as i think I am more likely to find someone who builds kits that can answer me.
What are the symptoms of cyno poisoning ? I am thinking that the constant inhaling of the fumes while building might be the answer to my present condition.
If anyone has any insight on this I would be glad to hear.
Thanx
Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cyno POISONING?

Symptoms can vary and be different in people. In any case, place a small fan near your workbench to keep fumes from rising to your nose and face.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM

I feel like I'm getting sick (Flu like) Running nose, throat scratchy-Just like you have a cold coming on. Thats just me though, i'm sure it veries. Small fan above your work and keep the direct fumes from your face. After awhile you should vent the whole room with fresh air-Take a break for a couple hours.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Symptoms can vary and be different in people. In any case, place a small fan near your workbench to keep fumes from rising to your nose and face.
Also, consider using a face mask which will filter out the CA fumes. Works for me. [8D]
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Per Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Toxicity

The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms. It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction. The ACGIH assign a Threshold Limit Value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions inhalation may trigger asthma. There can be no singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives as there is a wide variety of adhesives that contain various cyanoacrylate formulations.

The United States National Toxicology Program and the United Kingdom Health and Safety Executive have concluded that the use of ethyl cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see how one could breath the fumes very long. When I start doing a major glue job(going back over all the wing ribs, etc.), after about 30 seconds I realize I'm in trouble. I have to get up, open the door and turn on the fan.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM

airbusdrvr get some balsa sheet and add a tiny bit of balsa dust ontop of it. then get some thin cyno you know the stuff thats thinner then water. squirt that onto the balsa sheet and the dust, then take note of just how much fumes come off it. if its good quality cyno you will see little white clouds like smoke coming from it. get that up ur nose and it brings tears to your eyes aswell as burns ur throat and nose and iritates the eyes. i of all people know that becuase i use thin cyno for wing sheeting when its fitted in place and glues. i use it for strengthening joins up allong the leading edge aswell as spars and ribs and so forth. but be carefull.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM

I find that the first signs of cyano poisoning are difficulty moving my fingers[:@]

Terry
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

nice one red back !

I still think sanding any old wood that has ca on it is just as bad,,,
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM

My last time using it while building was scary and... I was using a fan across the building board. About one half hour after gluing up a wing, clear thin fluid started accumulating in my lungs forcing coughing it up. In the next two hours, 4 oz of the clear fluid was coughed up. Flu like symptoms lasted for days with shortness of breath as in couldn't finish speaking a normal sentence lasting for 2-3 weeks.

I no longer and will never use CA again for construction. I do use it for an occasional small repair but do so outside on the patio and place myself upwind from the area being repaired.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 AM

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

My last time using it while building was scary and... I was using a fan across the building board. About one half hour after gluing up a wing, clear thin fluid started accumulating in my lungs forcing coughing it up. In the next two hours, 4 oz of the clear fluid was coughed up. Flu like symptoms lasted for days with shortness of breath as in couldn't finish speaking a normal sentence lasting for 2-3 weeks.

I no longer and will never use CA again for construction. I do use it for an occasional small repair but do so outside on the patio and place myself upwind from the area being repaired.
Thats exactly it , I do use a fan blowing across the board your symtoms are exactly the same as mine. I had it most of last year but thought that is was from insectisides and dips that I use for my sheep (I am a farmer)
But after avioding these I noticed yesterday when I started building again after a two week break all the syptoms returning. I am using a very high quality cyno better than any other I have used before. I build for at least 4 hours every day and am doing a lot of sheeting and sanding. I am going to try a using a mask.
Thanx for all the feed back.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My nose gets plugged up and I can't clear it by blowing, sort of a cold like thing? I still use it though, just a lot more aware of what not to do. I also use the water based wood glues but I get a lot of warping with it so use it as little as I can. Even my wife knows when I have been sheeting with CA though no mater how I do it. I can use other products but my builds just come out better with CA, I still buy the thin in 8oz. bottles.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I get all the symptoms of asthma or airway restriction. For me, CA is bad stuff. I try and avoid it except in very small amounts, with a fan blowing and me holding my breath, with a quick exit from the shop.

For what it's worth, I didn't have problems for several years using CA, but when it started, it started hard! Play it safe and avoid it as much as possible.

DaveB
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM

I tend to find if I've been working with CA too long (generally over several days), I start experiencing asthma attack like symptoms. Of course, I do have asthma in the first place, so that certainly doesn't help. It can get bad enough to make for some unpleasant days. So I've definitely looked at doing more and more without using CA when I can.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 PM

I have been using whiteglue and other wood glues for years and just thought I would give CA a try one winter two years ago. I ended up with astma symtoms (doctors words, I have never had astma and didn't know what it was) that lasted all that winter, rarely touch CA stuff nowdays, there are other glues that gets the job done better but slower.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Why in the world is everybody breathing all these noxious ca fumes! Go to Home Depot or lowes and get a good respirator. they are cheap and comfortable to wear.I got one at Home Depot for $40.00 that even filters out nitrate dope fumes! John R.

www.rcaircraftworks.com