Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who Makes TowerKote?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who Makes TowerKote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who Makes TowerKote?

Is it an exact copy of Monokote, Ultrakote or something entirely different (like ChinaKote). At half the cost of anything else, the price is appealing but it is too good to be true it seems to me.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who Makes TowerKote?

The manufacturer probably changes from time to time, depending on who will do it for the lowest price.  It's a crappy product.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
carrellh

It may be equal to Top Flite Econokote. It is definitely NOT acopy of Monokote or Ultracote.
It is a low temperature covering and many say it is not fuel proof for glow powered models. I've used it to patch an ARF trainer. One combat pilot I know uses it on foam fuselages and wings. He does not worry much about fuel proofing since combat planes usually have short lives.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Used it once, years ago. Never again! It will not hold up to glow fuel.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

When You first put it on it looks ok.  Will not stand up to years of use or even hanging in the hanger!  I have a plane that Has not been flown in three years (trainer) and the Towerkote is slowly comming loose.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:39 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no quality questions at all if you paint your planes.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

It is junk! It is soft, scratches easily, glue not fuel proof, and easy to burn through. I will not use it again even though I have a few rolls.

Paul
Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

Is it an exact copy of Monokote, Ultrakote or something entirely different (like ChinaKote). At half the cost of anything else, the price is appealing but it is too good to be true it seems to me.
Looks like no one knows "Who Makes TowerKote ?"
Did you contact Towers?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Zor

Looks like no one knows ''Who Makes TowerKote ?''
Did you contact Towers?
No, I kinda figured people here would know more than a sales guy on the phone.

But.. I got my answer. I won't be buying a roll of it.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: MikeL

The manufacturer probably changes from time to time, depending on who will do it for the lowest price. It's a crappy product.

I knew that if I looked long and hard enough that we would agree on something. And we do.

I covered a Phaeton biplane (original Balsa USA model) with Econokote. Within a year, fuel had crept under the covering virtually all over the model that was in the propeller slipstream. I never had this problem at all when using Super Monokote or Oracover (Ultracote).

Ed Cregger
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Zor

Looks like no one knows ''Who Makes TowerKote ?''
Did you contact Towers?
No, I kinda figured people here would know more than a sales guy on the phone.

But.. I got my answer. I won't be buying a roll of it.
I had not seen anyone answereing your main question "''Who Makes TowerKote ?''
So . . . my question "Did you contact Towers?".

It is unlikely that the modeler know who are the manufacturers as many hobby products are made by subcontracts.

I have noticed, over the years, that most manufacturers do not have websites and rely on importers and distributors to handle any inquiries.

Of course the importers and distrinutors have little knowledge of the products manufacturing.

So I fully agree with you but it is unfortunate that we are so restricted to the products knowledge.

Finishing models, I have been a "fabric and genuine aircraft dope" modeler. I like building as much as flying and I like a finish like the full size "tube or wood and fabric" finish. I consider the dope as being the best by far adhesive for the fabric and its long life characteristics and properties. The reason why many full size airplanes are finished with fabric and dope. None to my knowledge are using "iron on plastic films".

Yes I recognize that Ceconite (spelling ??), polyester and nylon are plastics but they are not ironed on with poorly adhesive media and do not tear easily.

I also recognize that fabric and dope is not a practical and economical finish for pre-fabricated models (ARF and RTF). These models are made under highly competitive markets and made to be replaced often. The health of the industry is at stake.

Zor

Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I don't know who makes it either, but I had a good experence when using it, easy to apply, shrinks nice and stays put. The fuel proof issue, I can't comment, the seams on my planes are usually pretty tight and I saw no ill effect from oil or glow fuel residue. I just stick to mono or ultra if I'm going plastic on a plane, for fabric, I do solartex or koverall and dope.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
ramboy

The label that comes on the roll of Towerkote says it is fuel proof.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
TFF

It is Econokote, and it is sold as a cover it all product as it is low heat so it can be used over foam without melting. It is not stiff like Monokote so it is not great for adding strength.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: ramboy

The label that comes on the roll of Towerkote says it is fuel proof.
Reading all the comments about these various iron on sheetings there seem to be no doubt that their surface is glow fuel proof.

What seems to be reflected in the comments is that glow fuel penetrates at the edges of the sheeting and I conclude that the adhesive is not so fuel proof as the clear plastic surface.

Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

Zor

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I built or assembled a Foam/balsa sheet plane in 2000 and covered with TowerKote. I still have it and fuel has not bothered anything about it. - not even the trim pieces.

It is made by http://www.generalformulations.com/ in Sparta MI 49345

Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

I don't know who makes it either, but I had a good experence when using it, easy to apply, shrinks nice and stays put. The fuel proof issue, I can't comment, the seams on my planes are usually pretty tight and I saw no ill effect from oil or glow fuel residue. I just stick to mono or ultra if I'm going plastic on a plane, for fabric, I do solartex or koverall and dope.

My seams are tight and were sealed using K&B Superpoxy clear. This same sealing technique never caused me a problem when using Super Monokote or Oracover/Ultracote. I was really dismayed because I loved that Phaeton Biplane. I wish they would offer the original kit once again.

I don't know who manufactures Econokote/Towerkote (I was told by Tower that they were the same product). I do agree that it goes on like a dream and is an otherwise great covering. Who knows, maybe my Econokote was not typical of the product produced later.

Ed Cregger