Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Senior Telemaster: Barn Door Wing; Flaps.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Senior Telemaster: Barn Door Wing; Flaps.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster: Barn Door Wing; Flaps.

I am building a Senior Telemaster wing to the original design with inset, so-called "barn door" ailerons rather than the strip ailerons of the later Joe Bridi wing. The wing ribs are at 3 inch (75mm) centres and the aileron is six bays long plus one hand a half inches to fair it into the wing tip. The ailerons pivot on a substantial spar which is one and three sixteenths of an inch high by three eighths of an inch wide, (1.1875" x 0.375" or about 30x10mm.)

I plan to fit flaps pivotting off the same spar, my problem lies in deciding how big to make them.

There are seven bays between the centre rib and the aileron. Allowing that at least the first bay must remain static in order to fit the wing to the model, should I have flaps which are six bays long giving a flap of 18 inches in the length, or five bays long which would give a flap which is 15 inches in length, or four bays etc etc?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:12 AM
sandal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Senior Telemaster: Barn Door Wing; Flaps.

Telemaster with flaps - I want to build one too!

I would use all the available space for flaps, for two reasons:

1) When you are flying slowly and want more lift, dropping those big flaps just a few degrees will give you a huge amount of lift and very little extra drag. Great when you want to carry a load or fly very slowly. Smaller flaps would need more deflection to produce the same amount of lift, which would also create a lot more drag.

2) Fully down, big flaps will generate a lot of drag and allow you to descend even steeper without gaining speed.

People's opinions are different, but the way I see it, larger flaps will give you lower landing speed, lower minimum speed in the air, higher load carrying capacity and better "airbrakes". I don't see any disadvantages.