Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Hi folks,

When I wrote in post 847 ___

"Results would only be for "show off"

I now realize that someone could interpret that as meaning to become "a hangar queen" or to be a non flying "display"

I was thiking, and still am, that it would be a real show to see the change in sweep angle while in flight.
Make a low speedlow pass into the wind with straight leading edge and the gears down and climb out to a 180 turn and come back on another low pass at high speed with the gears up and the wings swept fully back.

Lots of onlookers would ask "how did you do that ?" .

Zor
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been on my mind for awhile now, soI put a 13" prop on to see what kind of clearance I had.. With the 13" it's only two inches with the fuse level, I most likely will be using a 12" so that would give me 2.5".. Do you think I will be ok on a short grass field, provided a chipmunk doesn't stick his head up?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66838.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1601674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53424.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1601675  
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Zor
Banned

Two inches prop clearance is plenty for a wheel landing.

On a three point landing the nose will be even higher.

I have only 1 1/2" on my Skybolt. 14 x 7 prop 3 blades on a Saito 125.

Zor
Old 04-30-2011, 07:36 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Let me go and see if I can locate that issue so that I can elaborate more on the issue, I do remember some specifics as to how the author/builder of the Swing Wing aircraft overcame the mechanical forces needed to sweep, then bring back into regular configuration, I can see it in my head, but would find it kinda difficult to describe it in words, as to how it was set up.

And to answer your question, yes, I still do have many of the model airplane magazines that I had from 20+ years ago.. ( Ok, OK... Yes, Yes.. I am a bit of a hoarder, so sue me!)

Craig.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Zor

Two inches prop clearance is plenty for a wheel landing.

On a three point landing the nose will be even higher.

I have only 1 1/2" on my Skybolt. 14 x 7 prop 3 blades on a Saito 125.

Zor
Thanks Zor, good to here... I did leave some room in the wheel wells to to move the struts out a bit, but not much... I will do the nose today and the belly pan, then it's down to gluing the tail up and sanding.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Tango Juliet

I need some ideas.

Some of you may be aware of my (sort of) build thread, "Another Ultra Sport 60 Build Thread" here on RCU, and some of the (slow) work I've been doing to it. I've decided to use one servo for the aileron control as per the plans, however, I need to install the servo down into the wing at the center section, on its side. Not per the plans. I'm a little unsure as to how I should secure the servo in this space. I'm haveing a bit of a mental block. I'll be using flaps and the flap servo will be mounted aft of the aileron servo in a fashion identical to how the plans would have the aileron servo mounted, so just the aileron servo is taxing my brain.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Tango Juliet

I need some ideas.

Some of you may be aware of my (sort of) build thread, "Another Ultra Sport 60 Build Thread" here on RCU, and some of the (slow) work I've been doing to it. I've decided to use one servo for the aileron control as per the plans, however, I need to install the servo down into the wing at the center section, on its side. Not per the plans. I'm a little unsure as to how I should secure the servo in this space. I'm haveing a bit of a mental block. I'll be using flaps and the flap servo will be mounted aft of the aileron servo in a fashion identical to how the plans would have the aileron servo mounted, so just the aileron servo is taxing my brain.
Tango,
I didn't take pics of it, but my flap servo is off to the side of the center ribs (W1's) All i did was glued two rails 1/2" x 1/4" thick between W1 & W2 flush with the top of the ribs and spaced for my servo to fit. Then I sheeted over it, but didn't put any glue on the rails till after I cut the sheeting out for my servo.. I also ran my flaps into with in a 1/4" of the fuse, the fillet goes over the flap and looks nice and clean. It also gives me more flap surface and stops the flap from going up and further then it is supposed to.. I will take some pics tonight on how my flaps are set up, it might give you some ideas.......

Jimbo
Old 05-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Tango Juliet

I don't need any ideas for the flap servo. I need ideas on mounting the Aileron Servo.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps it would help if you told us how you were planning to drive the ailerons from that servo. Nyrods? Flex cables? Really long torque rods?

Jim
Old 05-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Tango Juliet

Nyrods. I'd post photos, but I'm at work and won't be home until late Tuesday night.

Let me see if this works... Here's an image from my build thread. It shows the two openings, the forward (larger) one is where the Aileron Servo needs to go. You can't see it in the image, but the Red, outer sheath for Nyrod is already installed in the wing and routed to the bottom of the wing about 2/3's out toward the tips.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10171916
Old 05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Mustangman40

Nyrods. I'd post photos, but I'm at work and won't be home until late Tuesday night.

Let me see if this works... Here's an image from my build thread. It shows the two openings, the forward (larger) one is where the Aileron Servo needs to go. You can't see it in the image, but the Red, outer sheath for Nyrod is already installed in the wing and routed to the bottom of the wing about 2/3's out toward the tips.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10171916
I see what you are saying now, the aileron servo goes in the forward opening and the flap servo goes in the aft opening but has to mount to the side of W1's... I would cut rails from the W1 to the W2, epoxy them to the sheeting and to W2, clamp them and let it dry. Then just make a plug to go back in the W1 and epoxy it in and to the but ends or the servo rails... Not sure that makes sense...

Here is how I set mine up. Where there servo is drawn on the sheeting, I installed two rails before sheeting it, I will cut it out once everything is all filled and sanded. I also ran my flaps in board to the fuse, about 3/8" away, had to make the suppliedcontrol rodsshorter but it wasnta big deal.. NowI have more flap surface and they come up againstthe fillets, it worked out pretty well..

Name:	Lj21659.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1602429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52323.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1602430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63084.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1602431  
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Mustangman40

I don't need any ideas for the flap servo. I need ideas on mounting the Aileron Servo.
Didn't read the post right, sorry about that.. Did you look at Minn big thread and see how he did his, he used Nyrods as well... So what you want to do is mount the servo on it's side, to hook up the Nyrods? I know how you can get one in there, but you cant take it out..
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Tango Juliet

I've already cut out the space where the W-1 was originally. I think what I'm going to do is lay the servo on it's side in the space so that the wheel (or arm in this case) moves right and left. If I have the geometry correct, I think I can get a bit of differential aileron from the movement.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Mustangman40

I've already cut out the space where the W-1 was originally. I think what I'm going to do is lay the servo on it's side in the space so that the wheel (or arm in this case) moves right and left. If I have the geometry correct, I think I can get a bit of differential aileron from the movement.

I looked at Mikes big thread and it looks like he brought his Nyrods up to just under the sheeting when they get to W1. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68..._3/key_/tm.htmI didn't look further in the thread, but I would think he just dropped his servo deeper into the wing to make his connections..
Old 05-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Tango Juliet

I found an old post Mike (Minnflyer) made withone of his beautiful renderings and he did just as I thought (much like you just said).

Name:	Eb86897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1602501  
Old 05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Mustangman40

I found an old post Mike (Minnflyer) made withone of his beautiful renderings and he did just as I thought (much like you just said).

Mike to the rescue, that solves the problem of being able to get the servo out, should you need to...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[img]http://img863.imageshack.us/i/img2011050300049.jpg
[/img]

Here is my US40 just after a few flights last night.

Name:	Om33110.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1604582  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

hey scottrc is that a magnum 52 up in the front of that US?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, and it pulls the living heck out of it. It's a big difference from the OS.46 SF that I normally use.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Mustangman40

Her she is, all ready to cover (well just a little more sanding to do on my fillets)!

This was a fun build and i could notbe happier how it came out, i will give her a nice covering job. The ST 90 fits very well andI can take it out without any problems.. I am glad I went with the flaps, kind of looks like a warbird from the back... I am having so much fun building again, I am going to start on my TF GS P47 right away. I was going to do it this fall, but I cant wait to dive on in..

A big thanks to everyone for putting up with all my questions and thank you to Minnflyer for his mods he posted in the big thread, I used several of them.
The covering will have to wait a week or so, have to pick back up onmy Little Toni so i have a plane for next weeks fun fly. I also have to balance the sons trainer so we can fly it tomorrow.

Here are some pics of her naked, now it's official, I am a member of the brotherhood.. If your wondering about the dash, I didn't do it because I am painting the canopy black.. Any recommendations on what paint to use?

Name:	Bz78406.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1605341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25617.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1605342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49649.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1605343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31153.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1605344  
Old 05-07-2011, 02:06 PM
RoyR

I finally maidened my “HodgePodge” Ultra a couple of days ago. I also took it out today and got some good flights on it before my last landing. We have intersecting runways and I was coming in on the narrow one, but landed one foot short of the intersection. Nothing but rocks and gravel, so I bent one landing gear and broke the prop.
It is repairable with no problem. (as long as I didn’t knock something lose on my gear mount)

I do want to report on the flying. Using Minnflyer’s advice I added flaps and retracts.
And my choice (because of price) I put a Super Tigre 90 on it. Once I figured out the low speed needle setting the engine is great. Starts with one or two flips and hasn’t died on me in flight.

I have an older US 40 that I haven’t flown in years, so I can't remember a lot about how it flew. But the first thing I noticed on my first flight of this one was just how solid these Ultra Sports really are. First take off was straight ahead, and the only bobble I have seen on it was when the wind was bouncing it.
I only used one or two clicks elevator and aileron to give it straight hands off flight.
I haven’t added any weight or made any adjustments, just leaving the CG where it ended up, and it seems to be perfect. Even with the 90.
I may play with it more later to see if it makes it better in some maneuvers, but have no problem right now with ‘normal’ flying.

I have never flown with flaps before, but it is a lot of fun. Slows down the plane and I don’t have to do much, if any, changes to the pitch. I had worried that I may have too much travel in them. Full flaps are about 50 to 60Âș down. But it handles it fine.

Love the retracts. Even making a low pass at half throttle people remark how Fast it is. It is pretty fast, but just the looks of it going by with wheels up make it look 30% faster. After my hard landing and complaining about bending my gear, someone remarked how much trouble retracts are. I agree, However, on the Ultra, they are worth it. It would be almost blasphemy to build an Ultra without retracts.

I have another 60 kit in reserve, and I keep thinking maybe I should get a third. After the few flights I have made on this one, I can’t see myself continuing in RC without an airworthy Ultra Sport in my hangar.

My only complaint- Look at the color of Monokote I used. In the air that and the sky are the same. Fortunately the bottom of the wing is black, so I can see it half the time.

Name:	jh15111.gif
Views:	75
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	1605462   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96564.gif
Views:	61
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	1605463  
Old 05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Tango Juliet

She's purdy ! I was hoping to get more done on mine this weekend, but I got called back in to work early, and it's probably the best flying weather we've seen in over two months [:@]. Oh well. Whatcha gonna do [&o]?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Mustangman40

Roy,
glad you like the combo with the ST90, that's what is on mine as well. Every time I read about a maiden flight of the US, it's always the same, awesome.. Now I really can't wait to get mine in the air, we finally have some good weather around here...
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM
RoyR

We just moved to Pueblo Colorado less than two years ago. This spring has been very very windy. The first half decent days we had I spent breaking in the ST90 (it didn't take very long by the way) We had a good windless morning last week and I got one flight on it. Today was the best day we have had in months. Very little wind all day long. Just sorry I missed the runway or I could have gotten a couple of more flights in.

About the Super Tigre. I had a hard time running it the first couple of tanks. It wouldn't idle, and transition from low to high was rough and the engine died.
The instructions said the low speed needle was preset so I left it for awhile. Finally I checked it out and it was out about 8 or 9 turns. I put it at around 4.5 and it idled perfectly, and smooth transition from idle to full throttle. It may turn out to be a good engine after all.

Also, TJ. I can't wait to see yours when you finish. I have been following you on your build thread. Me, I just slap them together and go fly, but you make it an art form. (that's why I don't show any close up pictures. lol)
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

All this talk about maiden flights, well I just started my US .60 tonight. Got the tail done and about 1/2 of the first wing half. Going to do the flaps and retracts on mine also. I actually made my first flaps down landing this morning with a contender. Can't wait to Get this one in the air!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.