Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
loopyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***

Here's a pic of my ultra sport. It was used when I got it, but it flys great. I am planninng on building the 60 size this winter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82384.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1457719  
Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
vmsguy

Here's the link to my electrified US-60.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...tm.htm#8145767

I plan on building another someday.

There's two major things I'd do differently.

1. I'd build the cowl solid on the top and sides, and leave the bottom wide open. (Like for an inverted glow engine) No need for engine hatch.
2. I'd mount the ESC under on the bottom of the fuse, in front of the wing. Imagine the plane upside down, and that area like a sunken living room. The ESC would then be out of sight from all top/side views. But still be open to air for cooling.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I need to apologize to the Brotherhood for my absence. Things got pretty busy for me with SEFF and Top Gun and getting the write-ups on those events finished up and the rest of the world kind of got put on hold.

Anyway, here is the update USB (Ultra Sport Brotherhood) list

1. Ken Isaac - RCKen
2. Mike Buzzeo - Minnflyer
3. Alex7403
4. Dash008
5. AH1G
6. tschuy
7. MILDBILL-RCU
8. Box car
9. Top Gunn
10. SeaJay
11. Crash Campbell
12. SKYHI1
13. ChuckW
14. RhyanO
15. landeck
16. Ilikebipes
17. airbusdrvr
18. Insanemoondoggie
19. daisy shoot
20. prgonzalez
21. BelAirBob
22. hrrcflyer
23. rastus1
24. tony0707
25. *JCB*
26. Redback
27. bigugly
28. MetallicaJunkie
29. Gordie M
30. Jim_Purcha
31. rcsws
32. jeffsend
33. fireman7875
34. 72
35. ser00
36. Oly
37. cpeisher
38. donzhere
39. SKYHI1
40. kbarko
41. pgilbert
42. rambler53
43. rcjets_63
44. dschroeder
45. Quikturn
46. blueapplepaste
47. green river rc
48. SushiSeeker
49. VCScott
50. FallDownGoBoom
51. ccp10
52. Deadeye
53. Eganwp
54. carlosponti
55. Navy18
56. MineBurg
57. Cdallas2
58. loopyrc

Ken
Old 07-01-2010, 02:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

For those asking about the Twin Ultra Sport. Ididn't build one, but Idid find this picture that Ihave showna couple of times. I have a US60 short kit that Iwould like to try and build a twin out of like this one.

Maybe two OS55 AX's for power???Hmmmm!!!!

Ken

Name:	Pn36643.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1461519  
Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
box car

That is a nice looking plane, Twin 55 might need a drag chute for landing. I have RCM plans for the 1000 and just got my foam wing was thinking of 2 RCV 120s that sounds like fun.
Ken
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's cause Ken can't fly unless he has too much power
Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

That's cause Ken can't fly unless he has too much power

Hey,I'm a computer guy. We only know binary. on and off. Translates to a plane as full throttle and idle!!!!!

Ken
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Wow, Ken.. 

That is an awesome plane, I think I will save that Pic to my computer and use it for inspiration for my  US1K twin. Thanks!!

Craig.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

While that twin is cool, to me it looks more like a Cessna of some sort and less of a US. Just doesn't seem right to me - love that "normal" US look!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Gordie M

Guys,

Mine had a midair today. She's bent, but fixable.

Can't say the same for the WW1 Eindecker it flew through..... the US60 chopped that puppy clean in half.....

Unbelieveable really, one of those things that if you tried to do it, you'd never achieve it and then when you least expect it, it happens

cheers,

Gordie
Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean about midairs. We were the only two at the field and flying identical kits. We saw the planes wobble way out there and the loud bang arrived a second later. We landed just fine, but the wings took a lot of damage. His fuselage had cracked formers, and 6" of my leading edge was sticking in it like a spear.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have a functional US soon.

This Magnum .61XLS will be equipped with a mufffled tuned pipe. vvvvaaAARRRRRROOOOoomm!!!!!!!!

(...insert Tim Taylor grunt here!)

..edit Can I please get these pictures fixed. Can someone also slap some C4 on this server machine and DETONATE IT!!!!!

Brian

Name:	Ep84816.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1464192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61515.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1464193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40084.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1464194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12429.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1464195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62453.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1464196  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
MinnFlyer

fixed
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Gordie M

Hey Brian,

How did you tint your canopy, I tried to do mine with dye, no luck at all?

My re-build is underway from the midair, fixed the front wing mount former F2, had to cut out the wing bolt plate at F4 and I am just checking the 90 degree wing / fuse alignment as best I can before re-gluing in with some doublers. Once I've done this and then done the wing to stab alignment and incidence, its rebuild the right wing tip and recover.

Should be OK, but my already heavy plane is gonna be a bit heavier still.

Oh well, could have a total loss.....

cheers

Goride
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
EscapeFlyer

Hi Gordie!

I used a method that I've seen around here from time to time. I don't remember where I read it, but I'll tell you how I did it. Hopefully I won't upset anyone, because I won't take credit for the recipe.

I think most of my luck is due to my 8 year old daughter. She did most of the work. I heated water in 2 large pans to 150 degrees. I then had ready a 1ft X 2ft X 1ft deep cardboard box lined with a trash bag (Minnflyer gave us that idea) to pour the heated water in. I then poured another pan full of hot tap water (my thermometer read 120 degrees from the tap) into the box.

This recipe said to pour 1 cup of vinegar for every gallon used. I have no idea how much water I used, so I employed the TLAR (that looks about right) method, and dumped a bit into the water direct from the bottle.

Then I opened a packet of Black RIT Dye powder into the water, and guessed about half the same of Royal Blue liquid RIT Dye. I mixed thoroughly. There is a little chemical reaction here- don't let that worry you. Just keep mixing. Better yet, employ a family member to do this for you and you have nothing to worry about! My daughter does well on force fed oxygen these days! (Of course I'm kidding.)

Make sure you wash the canopy. Do not touch it with bare hands after this point until the process is over.

My daughter let it sit completely submerged for 30 seconds. She pulled it out and rinsed it with cold water. It was tinted, but I wanted it a bit darker. She soaked it another 30 seconds and still wanted it darker. Then she soaked it a full 2 minutes, and I was happy with the results. So I had my assistant rinse it thoroughly with cold water. I let it air dry, cut it, and there you see it now.

Next step was to empty the dye mixture. I'll let you know how that turns out after my court date. (It turns out the whe wife didn't appreciate my artistic impression left in the kitchen at all! What a party pooper.)

Brian
Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 PM
EscapeFlyer

My daddy told me to what do. It is a lot of fun.

This is his Daughter Ashley.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
landeck

I am in the process of building the US 60. In the past I built the US40 and know how tight it is in the built up cowling. I am thinking of using the Fiberglass Specialties fiberglass cowling they have for the US60. Has anyone on here used it? I if so what was your experience?

Bruce
Old 07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
SeaJay

Ashley..

So, Hows that Forced Oxygen working for ya?  Have the tremors stopped? and don't worry, you hair will grow back, Someday!!  JK. 

Anyway, its great to hear that you enjoy working with your dad on his planes. Do you fly also? I know that flying isn't something that many girls do, but I know that it's a great way to have fun with him, and I am positive that he enjoys sharing the hobby that he enjoys so much with the daughter that he obviously loves so much.

I hope that you continue in the hobby, who knows, you might be the next Aerobatic Champ!! 

Have fun..

Craig.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
exnordel

Glad to see this UltraSport thread. I flew an UltraSport 40 for about 10 years and loved it. It was recovered twice during that flying period. I had a very strong running Super Tigre 45 ABC (Italian), tuned pipe and Dave Brown retracts. It was insanly fast with unlimited verticle. I eventually retired it and hung it up in my garage until a younger club member saw it and wanted it real bad, so I gave it to him. I am now flying a GP Super Kaos 40, but really long for another UltraSport, so I see one in the very near future.

Vince
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
flhyr

Guys, I loved my US40. Flew it like crazy, acutally built it 20 years ago when I was in high school, and a few weeks ago my radio completely locked me out and the plane went in at full throttle inverted after the down wind turn after takoff. Very disturbing... I think I had a switch or battery connection failure or someting because no failsafe kicked in.

But the point is... I went home to order another kit from Tower,,, only to find its been discontinued... AGAIN! Darn the luck.... The 60 is still in produciton so I'm thinking I'll get that one instead.

Bummer.... the plane had a lot of sentimental value, hell I had that plane longer than I've known my wife....

Old 07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
exnordel

Better get online with Tower and get that US60 on back order. I'm sure that once they get in stock they will go fast.

Vince
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

One could buy the Kaos 40 instead tear off the covering and add a turtle deck, US canopy, and US shaped empenage.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM
SeaJay

Well, I finally did it!!

I finally maidened my US1000.. Man was I shaking.. It seems that I have the LG set too close to the CG, because whenever I would try to throttle up, it would try to nose over on me! Alot of up elevtor was the key until it got rolling.. She took off staight steady and smooth, just a little right trim, and down trim, and she was flying "hands Off", so to speak.. I flew a few circuits, got brave and did a High altitude snap roll, (Not really snappy, tho) a loop or two,and a few other basic manuvers.. I only flew it for about 4-5minutes, as I was told by the previous owner that it would go through 24oz of fuel in 7 minutes (Super Tiger s3000, with an OS 7D Carb). Lined up for the landing, Brought her in... Man did she float forever.. I actually did ahard bounce, and was afraif to give it throttle for a go around for fear of a snap roll (Should I have been worried about that?) so I kinda ran her into the brush at the end of the field. No damage,just grass and weeds in the LG..

I didn't get a second chance to fly, as Itstarted to rain heavily.. Will probably fly her again this weekend.

Does anyone know if one of the Turnigy Rear carb 30cc gasser engine will fit in the US1000?? because going through 24oz of Glow Fuel for 7+/- minutes will get expensive, very quickly!! Any Ideas as far as a gasser goes for this Aircraft? I have also heard of folks using a gas/glow mixture, anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks, Craig...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
hrrcflyer

Craig,

Congratulations on your US1000 maiden. I know exactly what you mean with regards to your shaking. You should have seen me flying my 1/4 scale Byrons Sukhoi for the first time last Monday. It got so bad, I had to sit down while I flew it.....[sm=lol.gif]

I'm not sure if any of the rear carb gas engines will work for the US1000. I think the rear carb will push the engine too far forward and make it extremely hard to balance the plane, but I may be wrong (it certainly won't be the first time). Maybe one of the small side-intake engines like the ones from RCFG or others may work a little better.

If you find a gas engine that works, let us know.

David
Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
MinnFlyer

Going by the fact that it wouldn't snap, and wouldn't slow down for landing, I'm thinking that it might be a tad nose heavy.

Next flight, get up really high and see if it will spin. If it just sort of spirals down, it's nose heavy.

Full up for taxi and initial take off is normal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.