Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good Biplane Kit to Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good Biplane Kit to Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
cwhipple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good Biplane Kit to Build

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Very good engine, you will have to check the weight And see if you want to try one in that plane. I have only seen it used in the 90 size stunt planes and it really is a power house.
I am just looking to fly around gracefully. LOL, not 3d for this flyer.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
cwhipple

While we are at it. I will throw out this 1.07 carat ring I have. Appraised at 3k. Make me an offer!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

If you really want a Pitts in particular there are 2 kits I know of - Bob Dively and Toni Clark.

Both are pricey ($500+) and giant scale (80"+). But very scale if that interests you.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Captbill
My Feedback: (33)

I I have a kit built pheaton .90 built, sanded , aligned,pushrods installed , servo tray and receiver platform installed, aluminum .90 motor mount installed cowl installed landing gear installed, 4" sullivan tires ready for covering. Interested ? I am Capt Bill. I build and sell bi-planes and some of my own kits as well. My emphasis is on bi-planes. I have a Tecate' .40 on RCU for sale and a Balsa USA .40 for sale as well as others. I haven't put the pheaton on-line yet but am getting ready to and saw your thread. I have built many planes and thought you might be interested. If so, Give me a jingle at [email protected]. I want 350.00 for the plane and you pay the greyhound shipping which is the best by the way. I know the price is exspensive but if you knew what your getting into you would think twice. E-mail me . Bill
Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Aeromaster bipe. That is an awsome flying biplane. Foam core wings can be bought for it to speed assembly. It is not a 90 size. But a 61 2 stroke flies it beautifully! A 90 would fit in it and make it even faster! It penetrates the wind well. I fly mine with a OS 61. It is on it second engine. That is how long I have had it. It is a rare airplane and draws attention at every show I have taken it to. It is over 25 years old.

I have a second one that will soon be going through rebuild. I want to redo the covering. But I have to get my 96 inch D1W off the boards and a 120 size corsair. I want to put a small gas engine on it to power it. A 15 or 17 cc gas i think would be really cool.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:16 PM
GerKonig

The Balsa USA Phateon 90 is a beautiful plane. Mine had ailerons in both wings, and was somewhat (undestatement coming up) overpowered with a Webra 120 (2 stroke).

A small gasser would work great, just put the servos in the tail and the battery pack as back as you can. It will be nose heavy otherwise. Mine was nose heavy with the 2 stroke 120 (and a big muffler). Of course mine had the servos in the regular location.

Would I bulid another Pheaton? Of course not, I would build a Balsa Usa Nieuport 11, or 17:-)

Gerry

Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
cwhipple

Sounds like I will enjoy the Phaeton with a small gasser.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Let me guess,.....the woman turned you down and now your trying to recoupe your losses?! LMAO! Trust me, your better off with R/C airplanes than a wife, a plane costs only soo much, a wife......well, you never stop paying for her.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
cwhipple

No, it is my girlfriends ring from when she was previously married. LOL...[8D]
Old 05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
cwhipple

Better picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23777.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1430830  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

While the Sig "Hog Bipe" is not rated for a .90 engine, I have seen several fly with .90 four-strokes. I've attached a photo of my "Hog Bipe" powered by a Magnum .70 4-stroke, which does not overpower it by any means, but certainly is adequate.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
cwhipple

ORIGINAL: lkruse

While the Sig ''Hog Bipe'' is not rated for a .90 engine, I have seen several fly with .90 four-strokes. I've attached a photo of my ''Hog Bipe'' powered by a Magnum .70 4-stroke, which does not overpower it by any means, but certainly is adequate.
No picture.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Well, rats! You can go to my photo gallery and see a shot of my HB. I dunno what happened on the last post. The screen indicated the photo loaded, but apparently it is still whizzing around, lost in cyberspace.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
cwhipple

Nice looking plane. I hope my Phaeton comes out close!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Steve Landron

I scratch built the Tequila Biplane from RCM (Remote Control Modeler) in 1988. I still have the plane in my garage waiting for the time to fly her (I retire Active duty in 34 months). It fly's majestic; I remember one flight in particular how mesmerized I was, as the biplane did a slow flyby and almost forgot I was flying it. Nothing like a biplane in the air especially a 1/4 scale sized one.

This one’s big enough to do anything, loops, rolls and slows down to a snails pace on landing. If the plane gets too slow wanting to stall, your first indication is loss of Aileron control, just throttle up to regain control, this one is very forgiving in the air.

The Fuselage is big enough to install smoke etc. with plenty of room to spare. The Tequila is built with only lower ailerons, elevator, throttle and rudder. It fly’s with an S-2000 1.2 ci Nitro motor and in 18x6 prop. If you can get a copy of the plans from RCM, I would highly recommend building the Tequila. Don’t see many at the field at all, if ever. Check my models/gallery for a picture.

Steve

[8D]
Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

To increase the roll rate of a Bi-plane you sweep the top wing !! (Pitts) & to increase it even more you do the bottom wing the same !! (Ultimate) How about these Bipes !! Skybolt, Starduster, Stampe, Tiger Moth, Goshawk,Sparrowhawk,F3f,Gulfhawk,Jenny, Command-aire,Alexander Eaglerock,Beech Staggerwing,Boeing Stearman,Waco cabin bipes Just to name a few !! Still cant beat a well built Andrews Aeromaster !!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Aerobatx
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone ever see a Bridi BreeZee biplane fly?

I picked on up on eBay recently.

Also, if you build the Balsa USA Phaeton, include upper wing ailerons, fersher, it flies much better.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM
cwhipple

Top ailerons is on the checklist! Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 AM
[email protected]

If you can find a Flair 1/4 scale tiger moth it is a amazing plane.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

The Funaero kits have been reported to be good laser quality kits to build and fly. The price and size looks to be in the right range for you.
http://www.funaero.com/id70.html

Check out the Albatros DII or DIII
Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really what you should do is buy what ever plan you like, alot are free, some wood, and a jig saw. You can afford the jig saw with all the money you saved not buying a kit. The cutting of the parts usually only takes a couple of hours. At least you won't be limited to just what ever kit you can find on ebay. Plus you'll have more fun!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That has been my feelings too when I was going through my Bipe stage. Here is one I built using Gordon Whitehead plans of one you never see, it's a Krier Kraft, there was only one full scale built. My friend built his to scale, white and red but being color blind I did mine so I could see it. I used a YS 1.10 in this plane. Ailerons on both wings and it had a roll rate of a drill bit at high speed. Plans even have the wheel pants shown and the LG functions with a spring system. I think there are several bipes I have built in my photo gallery. When I was building Bipes I grabbed up kits as I found them but plans are now the way to go.

Name:	Sq48356.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1451943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41605.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1451944  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Gray Beard that is SWEET!!!!!!!! every time I build a Bipe I swearI wont do another one... I have 2 waiting to be built a very old SMP and an EAA from Balsa USA. I want to build a Skybolt and really wish I hadnt sold my Goldberg Ultimate to a friend, just sitting now... [:@]
Old 06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't anyone get me wrong, I still love Bipes and just got my little Aeromaster back in the air and started flying it again. I even enjoy building them. The one and only problem with a Bipe is hauling it to the field and back again. I can't stand assembling and disassembling a plane, it's bad enough having to clean them after a day of flying. I try to haul them assembled and I get away with it but even my little Master takes up so much room I can only take out one other 60 size plane. If I want to take out one of my big planes then the Master has to stay home. Other then that I love them. The EAA was going to be one of the next Bipes on my board but I never got to do it. The Great Lakes was another favorite but it was a lot like the Krier Kraft. I still have several plans in my closet for other Bipes I never got around to building. Most of them in 40 size. If it wasn't for the hauling problem I think I would still have a fleet of them. I still have my big Boeing F4B-2 on the wall. It gets taken down every couple of years and reassembled and flown but after a couple of flying days it goes back on the wall. No IMAA events here in my area so no need to be fighting to get it in and out of the van. At one point I was taking both the Boeing and Tiger Moth to IMAA events, that was a van full with all my camping gear and flight equipment but I managed. The Tiger Moth was a sweet flying plane, sort of like a big trainer. The Boeing is/was a lumbering ox.

Name:	Cz80147.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1451961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78477.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1451962  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Pheaton 90 is a great flyer. I've built two of them, the first with a 1.20 4 stroke but went extreme on the last and powered it with a Quadra 75cc gasoline engine. It turned out to be a ball to fly, still could fly slow and easy or really turn on the power for aerobatics, even with just the ailerons on the lower wing. I did set the firewall back a couple of inches and beefed up the landing gear for the big Quadra but otherwise stock and handled the big engine fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.