Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Citabria wing struts and tail braces

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Citabria wing struts and tail braces

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Citabria wing struts and tail braces

I have yet to get any detail information on the wing struts and tail brace wires for my Midwest 80 inch Citabria, although most of you have said they are required.

I have the article and plans for the RCM 1/3 scale Champ 7AC. Is the strut and brace wire detail the same (in detail, scale is different of course) for the Citabria as for the Champ, from which it was derived? Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok mabey this will help go to tower hobbies look up airplane kits look for the greatplanes dynaflite super decathlon giant and down load the manual that should give you a good idea on what you are tring to do i have built this and flys good michael
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: michael wood

ok mabey this will help go to tower hobbies look up airplane kits look for the greatplanes dynaflite super decathlon giant and down load the manual that should give you a good idea on what you are tring to do i have built this and flys good michael

Thank you Michael. I went there and got info that I can use for my Citabria by extrapolating for the size differences.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 05-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Buckmeister

I just got back from climbing into my warehouse containing a New in Box Midwest Citabria.
There is no evidence of wires on the tail either in the plans or the construction manual or the pictures on the box.

Regarding the struts. They are made from 3/16" x 3/8" x 22" Basswood.
Threaded rod 1" X 2-56 in all three ends.
Nylon clevises in all three ends that connect to Control horns on the Fuse and the wing.
The control horns on the wing are located on top of the rib that holds the aileron servos.
These control horn hard points measure 3/4"x 3/4" square.
One is 1 and 1/2 inches in from the leading edge and the other is laocated 6 1/4'' in from the leading edge.
The control horn on the fuse is located At the back edge of the landing gear.

Hopefully the pictures of the construction manual come out as this is a first time effort for me.
Buckmeister
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94581.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1440805   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44037.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1440806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23645.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1440807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35079.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1440808  
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
spaceworm

Thank you, thank you ver' much. The timing is very good, as wind and wet have kept me from maidening the Citabria. So, I can do the struts and make it look right.

Thanks again, to all who responded on this.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Thank you, thank you ver' much. The timing is very good, as wind and wet have kept me from maidening the Citabria. So, I can do the struts and make it look right.

Thanks again, to all who responded on this.

Sincerely,

Richard
buckmeister's drawings are very good.
I still feel that the snaps are stronger than the clevis and easier to snap in and out without tools to open the clevis.

I also still feel that the tail wires are well worth their strength to weight ratio.

One should do what they themselves prefer.

Zor

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Buckmeister

Spaceworm , who requested the info, wanted to know what the actual plans called for and that is what I sent him. The drawings were actual photographs of the Midwest Citabria model that Spaceworm is building. There is no call for or plans for wires on the tail for the Midwest Model.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Buckmeister

Spaceworm , who requested the info, wanted to know what the actual plans called for and that is what I sent him. The drawings were actual photographs of the Midwest Citabria model that Spaceworm is building. There is no call for or plans for wires on the tail for the Midwest Model.

Thank you Buckmeister, what you provided me was exactly what I was looking for. Others seem to have a preference for something of their own " Invention" that I personally feel would be totally out of scale, induce lateral loads on the joint, has to be butt ugly and has been unproven in the application I am building. I for one will choose to pass on reading any of his future postiings.

Thanks again Buckmeister,

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: Buckmeister

Thank you Buckmeister, what you provided me was exactly what I was looking for. Others seem to have a preference for something of their own " Invention" that I personally feel would be totally out of scale, induce lateral loads on the joint, has to be butt ugly and has been unproven in the application I am building. I for one will choose to pass on reading any of his future postiings.

Thanks again Buckmeister,

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard,

You did the proper thing and I did not critcise you. I hope you are not taking my post as such.

i simply expressed my feelings and my thoughts.

Zor

Old 05-29-2010, 08:58 PM
surf

"Thank you Buckmeister, what you provided me was exactly what I was looking for. Others seem to have a preference for something of their own " Invention" that I personally feel would be totally out of scale,"

So let me get this straight, your original question was if you could fly without struts, and now you are worried about scale appearance?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looking at one of these kits...it dosen't have plans, but it does have the booklet. Is it supposed to have plans?
thanks
d