Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
 Epoxy Paint >

Epoxy Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Epoxy Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Paint

I'm ready to start painting my Smith miniplane. I do not have the equipment or work area to use spray equipment so I have to use rattle can paint. I see that there are several epoxy paints available in cans. IE: Krylon, Dupli-color etc. Are any of these glow fuelproof?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Epoxy Paint

No. Some MAY be glow-fuel resistant, but none are glow fuel proof. Either use dope (Sig, Brodak) , true 2-part epoxy paint (KlassKote), or Polyurethane (Warbird Colors or Automotive) if you want a true fuel proof paint job.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
pmw

Rattle can paints are not epoxy paints. I've used just about everything on the market over the years and none of them are "fuel proof". All have a degree of "fuel resistance", some more than others. The best I've found is Dupli-Color. Rustoleum is good, but some colors are better than others (a search will give you a lot of info here). MinnWax polyurethane (not water based) is very good, but it only comes in clear and will yellow over time. The most important tip is, regardless of what you use, let it cure for a minimum of a week, peferrably several weeks if you can. Good luck!

Paul
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: pmw

Rattle can paints are not epoxy paints.
Paul

I found that they do actually make epoxy "spray paint." Rustoleum makes it and they sell it at walmart. It is called appliance epoxy and comes in all the big appliance colors such as white, almond, black, and maybe a few others.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20753.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1441644  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

No. Some MAY be glow-fuel resistant, but none are glow fuel proof. Either use dope (Sig, Brodak) , true 2-part epoxy paint (KlassKote), or Polyurethane (Warbird Colors or Automotive) if you want a true fuel proof paint job.
My experience with dope is that it is only fuelproof up to about 10% nitro (at least the Brodak/Randolph brand is). Dope worked well when I was a kid when I couldn't afford high nitro fuel, but I learned about this limitation the hard way later in life.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a can of paint made by TRU-TEST HI-Q that is epoxy. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say anything about it at all? I have used a ton of Lustrekote and if you allow it to cure for about 10 days it is fuel proof. A pain in the butt to work with until you have it figured out, very light coats and tack dry between them!! If it isn't done in light coats then expect runs!! The only real fuel proof paint I have been using is Klass Kote. There are others on the market I'm told are very good. KK is a true two part epoxy paint, very high dollar but if you want bullet proof then it's the right stuff. It mixes 50-50 then you thin another 50%. It is so tough I have cleaned it with acetone without harming the paint finish. It isn't a can paint though but it is bullet proof!! Doesn't even chip, good stuff!!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Gentlemen thanks for all of your input. I guess there is no easy way out here so I'll just continue with my plan to color coat with Rustoleum and clear coat with Nelson's poly-u. Thanx again.
Dave
Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM

is this paint for use on gas pwered planes too? any other type of paint I should look at?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
pmw

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: pmw

Rattle can paints are not epoxy paints.
Paul

I found that they do actually make epoxy ''spray paint.'' Rustoleum makes it and they sell it at walmart. It is called appliance epoxy and comes in all the big appliance colors such as white, almond, black, and maybe a few others.

David,

I've never seen that paint around here. That's good to know; I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the info.

Paul
Old 05-30-2010, 05:47 PM

I'd like to offer a suggestion that you might want to consider. There's another way to go besides painting with rattle-cans even if you don't have spray equipment. I've used the Preval Sprayer as shown here:

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Spray-Power-Unit-Container/dp/B001ENSKUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275258649&sr=8-1]Preval sprayer[/link]

One power unit will spray up to 16 oz of paint (more than a single rattle-can). I used Nelson Hobby paints which are water-based and totally fuel-proof when the cross linker is added to the mixed paint before spraying. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html

Being water-based there's no smell and water is used for thinning the paint as well as clean-up. It works differently than enamels (more like lacquer - thin, mist coats allowed to dry before recoating, about 20 mins) but is very easy to use and the results are a tough, fuel proof (I use 30% heli fuel in my DirtyBirdy), and high-gloss finish.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Curt,
Thanks for that very creative suggeation. I have no knowledge of the Preval spray system but I think I will be getting aquainted with it.

Dave
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't go wrong with KlassKote and you can brush it on easily too as it will not leave brush marks. It is also the most durable of any of the paints normally used in modeling, a true epoxy. While it is relatively expensive, it covers very well and a little bit will paint a large surface. Many of the better hobby shops now carry it but you can also buy it through the web, just Google KlassCote for color charts and pricing.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: CurtD

I'd like to offer a suggestion that you might want to consider. There's another way to go besides painting with rattle-cans even if you don't have spray equipment. I've used the Preval Sprayer as shown here:

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Spray-Power-Unit-Container/dp/B001ENSKUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275258649&sr=8-1]Preval sprayer[/link]

One power unit will spray up to 16 oz of paint (more than a single rattle-can). I used Nelson Hobby paints which are water-based and totally fuel-proof when the cross linker is added to the mixed paint before spraying. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html

Being water-based there's no smell and water is used for thinning the paint as well as clean-up. It works differently than enamels (more like lacquer - thin, mist coats allowed to dry before recoating, about 20 mins) but is very easy to use and the results are a tough, fuel proof (I use 30% heli fuel in my DirtyBirdy), and high-gloss finish.

I haven't used KlassKote but I have brushed Nelson water based paint and I have to say it leaves very little in the way of brushmarks. Can take 4-5 coats to cover nicely, however.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of my UC friends say Brodak dope is not fuel proof over 5% nitro.

Paul