Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great planes RV-4 help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great planes RV-4 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 AM
JW0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great planes RV-4 help

Hey guys, I noticed not long after I got my kit that the plywood parts are starting to warp. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had the same problem and if there is a fix for it.This is my first build and I amhooked. I live in a dry climate and would love to know how to fix this problem before it starts so I don't have this problem on another kit. As always, thank you for the help.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Great planes RV-4 help

You will always have a little warp... I have just wiped the piece down with a damp paper towel and sat a book on it till morning. If the warp is bad enough that it wont come out that way, call customer svc, Great Planes has sent me many replacement parts in the past at no charge. They really take care of their customers.
dan
Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's really not a big deal. Once the parts are glued in place, the parts they are glued to will hold them straight.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
JW0311

Thanks for the help. Some of theses parts are warped pretty bad. have had to use alot of clamps to get them straight. This being my first kit, I don't want to have it fly like a brick. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
tobydogs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those who have built the rv-4 40...did your wing halves turn out exactly the same? i built the 2 halve and joined them together and now the wing is slightly diff but not twisted.

i did a build thread on this plane and have tons of build pictures...maiden flights and the several flights after proved fun ,flew well.....BUT.......I TRIMMED THE AILERONS TO STOP A RIGHT TURN AND AFTER TRIMMING TO A SMOOTH HANDS OFF FLYING ...I LANDED TO FIND ONE AILERON UP ,OTHER DOWN BUT A FULL 1/4" opps sorry for the capitails

looking closely at the wings it seems one side is at a diff degree than the other ever so slightly. anyone whos built this strange design wing will know its strong and not go to be able to fix it. i call gp to see if they have heard of this happening before and they said "no".......anyway,looks like i'll be buying a wing replacement kit to get this girl back in the air.

just a few pictures of the finished product....any suggestions would be helpfull ,thanks,stu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12429.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1459942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46820.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1459943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25565.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.2 KB