RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Kit Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/)
-   -   Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-building-121/10842479-balsa-usa-fokker-dri-1-4-scale.html)

acerc 01-14-2012 01:38 PM

RE: Balsa USA Fokker DR1 1/4 scale

Nice, can't wait to see some color.

WacoNut 01-14-2012 01:51 PM

Del,
I am considering adding the holes in the sheeting behind the cowling. I am assuming these are carb vents on the full scale?

Anyhow can you give me the ditsance from the back of the cowl to the front of the hole as well as the dia. of the hole on your 1/3 ? I will divide it out to 1/4 scale.
Later!!
Anthony

VincentJ 01-14-2012 02:20 PM

Anthony, your plane looks very cool even in primer!!!! I can't wait to see it finished. I would love to see it fly.

WacoNut 01-14-2012 03:06 PM

Thanks VJ,
I am itching to paint the bottom tonight but I know I should wait for tomorrow. The planes really start to come alive once you start putting some color on them.
Later!!
Anthony

deljon 01-14-2012 04:41 PM

Evening Anthony, yes they are indeed carb. intake tubes, one on each side.
Hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow and will get out in the shop to get those measurements for you.

Awesome job man, what more can I say............:):):)

Del

WacoNut 01-14-2012 05:29 PM

Thanks Del,
I hope you get to feeling better. This cold air we are getting is a real pain. I fired up a space heater in my hobby room and opened the window to let the fumes out from the primer and still stunk up the house. The wife isn't happy;)

The primer is good and dry, I am sanding the plane now and will start masking tomorrow when I get home for the paint. I will add the carb intake tubes before painting the top portion of the fuse.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-14-2012 07:19 PM

All the parts are sanded and cleaned ready for paint. I removed them to a different room to keep them dust free while I cleaned up in preperation for painting tomorrow. I hope I don't get hung up at work too long tomorrow.

I will post some pics tomorrow once I get the masking down and start painting.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-15-2012 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bottom turquoise color has been sprayed. I maksed the parts that needed masking with 3M vinyl masking tape and then brushed along the edge of the tape with Polycrylis using a fine 3/0 brush. This should hopefully seal the tape to prevent bleeding.
This is my 1st time spraying Valspar latex and I really like the way it sprayed. I thinned the paint 50/50 with windshield washer fluid then added 3 ounces of Floetrol to about 1 qt of thinned paint. I am using a Craftsman HVLP gun and spraying at 40psi.

All the parts were given 2 light coats then a 3rd wet coat. I will let that dry a bit and see how the surface levels out and if anymore paint is needed.

I really like the color.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-15-2012 12:26 PM

Swwweeeeettttt.  Anthony give us an honest opinion of the latex, overall. I've been thinking of going to it myself.

VincentJ 01-15-2012 12:51 PM

That color is perfect. Nice job laying the paint down.

WacoNut 01-15-2012 01:01 PM

Thanks Guys!!!

Robert, I like using latex. The only plane that I have that isn't painted with latex is my 25% Waco. Latex holds up well again gas. I still clean my planes immeduiately after flying. Mostly just old habit from my nitro days.

I will clear coat the Fokker with satin Polycrylic spray when all the painting, vinyl decals and weathering are applied.

Mind you with latex you will not get a glossy glass smooth finish like automotive paints. The best thing about latex is no smell and you can get custom mixed quarts for $12.

I am happy with how the turquoise color has turned out. I will bring a couple parts up into better light and get some pics.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-15-2012 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the top wing outside where I could get some good light for a pic of the wing. Looks pretty good. I think the color is spot on.

BTW: I pulled all the masking off and I did not get any bleed under anywhere. The PolyC along the tape did the trick.

Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-15-2012 02:43 PM

Excellent work there. Love the idea of latex. And I see I'm not the only one who don't tape up the control horn. Never remember to do that till it's too late.

WacoNut 01-15-2012 02:53 PM

Hi Robert,
Those are the strut attachment points. I meant to paint them:D. They will be painted red later along with the struts.

The latex seems to be really dry at this point. I am going to mask the fuse, stab and elevators tomorrow night and spray the tan color. I will do the wings the next night. Once that is complete I will try my hand at streaking. I will spray several test panels on a piece of drywall to practice brushing the streaks before moving on to the plane.

My cowl is due to arrive Tuesday and I am ordering the vinyl decals and a Xoar 20x8 Axial prop tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-15-2012 06:50 PM

Del,
I installed the holes for the carb intake tubes. I had 2 different dia. tubes readily available and I went with the one that looked right;).
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-16-2012 10:15 AM

Can anyone tell me the size of the vinyl crosses from Balsa USA for the fuse and wings?

I have ordered them but I want to continue the painting and I need to mask off these areas.
Thanks!!
Anthony

WacoNut 01-16-2012 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the tan base coat sprayed. This was done with 2 light coats. You can also see where I tested the streaking on the piece of drywall in the background.
For the streaking I am going to use a 1" cheap bristle brush and I cut 1/3 of the length of the bristles off with pinking shears. The paint is thinned 50/50 with windshield washer fluid and Floetrol added as I did for spraying.

I will try this out on the sub wing shortly and post pics of the results.
Here are a few pics of the tan.
Later!!
Anthony

roncannell 01-16-2012 01:06 PM

Busa Wing Cross is 9 x 9 inches
Fuse Side 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
Rudder 6 x 6 inches

WacoNut 01-16-2012 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ron,
That is the info I needed.

Here is a pic of the sub wing. I think the streaking looks pretty good for a 1st attempt. One thing about this flat latex is it dries very fast.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 01-16-2012 02:30 PM

WOW!   That look's great Anthony.

WacoNut 01-16-2012 02:33 PM

Thanks Robert, I am happy with it:D

WacoNut 01-16-2012 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about the streaking but so far so good.
I had to run down and do the fuselage after seeing how the sub wing turned out. I do have a little touchup to do at the bottom of the fuse. I lifted the tape in a few spots with the paint brush.
Off to do the stab and elevators.
Anthony

SunDevilPilot 01-16-2012 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your brave doing the streaking. Looks really good.

Some full scale DR1s with similar finish.

SunDevilPilot

deljon 01-16-2012 04:05 PM

Your streaking looks great Anthony, you've got the touch.

Sorry I didn't get back about those dimentions, I'm recouping from surgury last week. Just
starting to feel halfway decent.

Del

WacoNut 01-16-2012 04:13 PM

Ouch!!!
Hope your back at it before long. No big deal on the measurements. I went off some drawings and got it close enough for what I am doing. Building to satisfy myself;).

I made a little mistake. I just streaked the aileron's and forgot to mask off for the white cross field. No big deal and I can spray a couple coats of white later as the whole top wing will be oversprayed in red but still miffed me a little. Might as well do the top wing the same way to keep the paint consistant.
Later!!
Anthony