Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building > Kit Manufacturer Direct Support Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about a hot glue wood and electronics

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Manufacturer Direct Support Forum Get support here directly from the manufacturers themselves or their official reps for the kits they manufacture or distribute.

Question about a hot glue wood and electronics

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about a hot glue wood and electronics

Can you use hot glue to hold a receiver board down to a wooden balsa airframe or would the glue short out the electronics?
Old 08-25-2020, 03:32 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't think it would short anything out but I also think it wouldn't provide enough vibration isolation between the motor and the receiver board. Thick, double sided tape would work better.

If you've ever done any vibration testing you would know that as the frequency goes up the amplitude goes down for the same g load. A brushless motor operates by pulsing the motor several times during one rotation which appears to be smooth but is actually many little shocks. That means you get small vibrations but they are still perceptible to electronics.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Actually I was probably going to use a brushed motor because it's just a small kit a guillows 600 series kit. But it's probably still true what you said about the vibration being a problem maybe I'll use gorilla glue or something like that I think gorilla glue doesn't conduct much either or maybe like you said I use double-sided tape if I can find some thanks that's a good idea
Old 10-15-2020, 12:08 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Gorilla glue would be worse. The double side foam tapes gives you some vibration isolation because of the foam.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:32 PM
obrien135

Thank you. I haven't gotten the receiver board yet but I put a piece of double-sided tape on the spot where it's going to go so that's why I'm going to use thank you for the advice thank you very much