Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Kyosho Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Nexus

Community
Search
Notices
Kyosho Helicopters Discuss all Kyosho heli topics here.

Show Us Your Nexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Show Us Your Nexus

I love my Nexus, it's my first nitro heli, and I really like the way it fly's compared to the micro's i've had. Mine has the OS 32 in it, and it runs like a dream. I picked this Nexus up for used $200.00 about a year ago, and then replaced all the bearings and bought it a new Futaba T6EXHP radio set. Im still setting up my pitch and throttle curves in the normal mode. I may not even mess with idle up mode since I have no desire to learn 3D. First I had the pitch at +2 to +10 roughly, and now im gunna try -2 to +9 as suggested by one of the other RCU members, but it's been kinda windy lately, so I havn't had the chance. When I first got it, I cleaned it up, looked it over real good, and fired it up. I was spooling it up in the front yard and went to look at the skids to watch for lift off, and to my surprise, it was about 1/2" off the ground, and just sittin there solid ! I had to move it around a little to prove it to myself, and it was up allright !
While hovering it, I noticed an occassional tail glitch, so I replaced all the bearings and the old radio system. Today it's completely glitch free, looks like brand new, and fly's great, but I still get real nervous flying it. Guess it's gunna take me a while to warm up to heli flight.
Here's a couple of pics of mine, one down, and one up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83411.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	600218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57725.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	600219  
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Public-Enemy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Show Us Your Nexus

hah i have one sitting in my room that i havent flown for like 2 years, do they even sell spare parts for them anymore? ill take a pic when i can
Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM
freeonthree

Kyosho doesn't have too much for them anymore, but there's still lots of parts out there to be had. I think it was Century that I recently bought a bunch stuff for it from. I dunno, since I bought it about a year ago and replaced all the bearings, it hasn't needed anything else. I don't beat it, so if I don't crash it should last me the rest of my life. I was going to get something else like a Century Hawk Pro, and mve all the stuff into it, but I see no reason to now. Im not into 3D, and I seriously doubt if there's anything out there built better. This thing looks and flys like new, and with the new radio system , I only have $500.00 in the whole thing. For the kind of flying im into, I can't justify upgrading. Actually, Im thinkin about gettin a couple more off ebay. I see em go for $150.00 all the time, so parts are definently not an issue. If you go to shop Kyosho.com and enter any part numbers you need, you may get lucky. Im one of those people who loves old stuff, if it's in mint condition, and the Nexus is one of my favorites so far. It's cleaner than the board of health, and thats no exaggeration. How come you quit flying yours, and how long ago did you park it ?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Cyberfyn

I learnt to fly on the Concept SR-T which has the same "flapping" head system and a lot of other parts. I makes for a very good training heli. Very stable and forgiving. Does tend to suffer a lot of transitional lift and ballooning, but for learing to hover and simple circuits you can't go wrong!

I now have an all alloy and OS37 powered Caliber 30, but still have fond memories of my old Concept. Wish I'd never sold it now []

I'm surprised it flew well with a -2 minimum pitch! Didn't it fly away in a breeze! For learning -1 is fine That way you won't slam it into the deck if you back off the throttle quickly, but will still be able to loose altitude if needs be.

Ian F.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:40 AM
freeonthree

I havn't been able to test fly it since I changed it from +2 to -2, but I don't fly it in the wind yet. A friend told me to change it to -5 but I want to test it this way first. -5 sounds a bit radical to me for my style of flying. I have a feeling that the -2 setting will be alot better than it was. So far I have only flown it at +2 for the minimum. Im not going to set up the idle up mode, I won't ever use it if I did. No 3D for me... Hmmm... whered my pics go ? Guess i'll try it again...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85158.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	600732  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 AM
freeonthree

Now I see the pics I first posted... thats weird, I guess ya can't see em when your typing a message and look back thru the messages... Im learning...
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Big feet

Hi,
Nice to see another nexus in the air. I have flown fixed wing for over 17 years but bought my nexus 46 just over a year ago.
I immediatly got a simulator, to save me fixing the nexus from the crash that would soon follow (I do believe in SODs law), and leart to fly in the heat (it was January hence cold). I then saw a lama and got one of these, and improved my flying in the living room, side on and nose in (still warm).
Then and only then did I get the Nexus into the air. I must say it is nice to fly as a learner, apart from the starter shaft that keeps shearing. I only got it in the air in August due to a number of annoying reasons and have now flown without the training hoop, and even managed a few circuits.
I love the nexus, I have thought about a new machine, Raptor or something, but I agree with you freeonthree, I can't justify one while the Nexus flyies so well. I have an old gyro without heading hold on it, I think this is better to learn with due to the fact that I need to control the tail more than I would with the heading hold type. I am a learner after all.
And at the end of the day, helicopters are just like flying, only slower... Joke guy's
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
elebouef

ORIGINAL: Big feet

Hi,
Nice to see another nexus in the air. I have flown fixed wing for over 17 years but bought my nexus 46 just over a year ago.
I immediatly got a simulator, to save me fixing the nexus from the crash that would soon follow (I do believe in SODs law), and leart to fly in the heat (it was January hence cold). I then saw a lama and got one of these, and improved my flying in the living room, side on and nose in (still warm).
Then and only then did I get the Nexus into the air. I must say it is nice to fly as a learner, apart from the starter shaft that keeps shearing. I only got it in the air in August due to a number of annoying reasons and have now flown without the training hoop, and even managed a few circuits.
I love the nexus, I have thought about a new machine, Raptor or something, but I agree with you freeonthree, I can't justify one while the Nexus flyies so well. I have an old gyro without heading hold on it, I think this is better to learn with due to the fact that I need to control the tail more than I would with the heading hold type. I am a learner after all.
And at the end of the day, helicopters are just like flying, only slower... Joke guy's
I must say it is nice to fly as a learner, apart from the starter shaft that keeps shearing.
Try not giving as much throttle when starting it.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: elebouef

ORIGINAL: Big feet

Hi,
I must say it is nice to fly as a learner, apart from the starter shaft that keeps shearing.
Try not giving as much throttle when starting it.
Thanks Elebouef, I normally start the engine on or about idle. I have reduced the size of the 12volt I was using for the starter. Seems to have helped. I will keep an eye on the throttle now as well.

Cheers