Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

What The Heck . . . .

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

What The Heck . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 08:20 PM
T.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What The Heck . . . .

Alan: You and I must be thinking alike here. I too am starting to think about getting a different kind of heli - but I really don't want to do so. I actually like the way the LMH flies (and the way it will bounce!). It's "different" from all the other helis at the strip too, and I like "different." But with this engine problem, well, it's just not fun is it!

I had another "V-7 starting session" today, (this has been going-on for almost three weeks now!), this time I managed to "borrow" a couple of tanks of 16% nitro, 20% castor fuel. I also received a lot of assistance from the "lender" of the fuel too. He offered to help when he realised I was having no luck getting my V-7 started using his fuel. His heli was flying great on the fuel, so that wasn't causing my problem was it

He went through all the usual checks: plug, batteries, fuel supply, needle valve, washers, etc. But, after having tried for a long time, using lots of different needle settings and different number of washers, he said: "It just doesn't make any sense . . . . everything says the engine should run . . . . but it just doesn't!"

When I got back home I re-fitted my old V-6 to the heli and, using the same "borrowed" fuel, it fired-up immediately I applied my old starter motor. A little needle-twiddling and that old V-6 sounded as sweet as a nut. I can hardly wait to see if this fuel allows the old engine to run a tank out without cutting-out half-way through - tomorrow, weather permitting

Tony
Old 11-02-2003, 09:16 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Tony I know it may be a "wild stretch" but you've got me wondering about your con rod. Is your engine mounted on the heli? If not why don't you take the back plate off and take a look? My vmax7 starts without fail.....even if not adjusted correctly. The LMH folks always wanted me to take the plate off and look before I sent my faulty engines back to them (I had 3 v7s to fail). The wrist pin may have escaped the piston coining and the resulting "slop" may be effecting compression or maybe even the timing......
Mark
Old 11-02-2003, 10:17 PM
fiat

good idea mark ,with all the strain tony had with the tight motor i kinda wonder if something like that may have gone wrong. It is so strange as these are so simple too.... Alan
Old 11-03-2003, 07:50 AM
T.W.

Good idea guys . . . . I'd got the V-7 dis-mounted and was about to prepare it for it's repatriation to the States, but after reading what you said I removed the back plate and peered inside - and everything looks fine!

I turned the engine over whilst looking into the back of the crank case and could see no problems in there at all. The engine still meets resistance as the piston reaches TDC, so the bore's still tight where it should be tight. Also the "flywheel" seems to run true through the full cycle. It's the weirdest thing isn't it

This afternoon I intend doing a little test-flying, using my old V-6 and the remainder of my "borrowed" fuel. Later I will 'phone Lite Machines and see how much of my money I can reclaim from them. They've already agreed to reimburse me the price of the V-7 ($89.99), but that's only just a little more than half of what it cost me to get the engine delivered to me

I know that Lite aren't really responsible for the import tax and handling charges I had to pay to UK customs ($21.22 and $22.88), but surely I shouldn't have to stand this expense, seeing as the engine has turned-out to be unuseable and is to be returmed . . . . and what about the initial delivery charge of $34.90 I had to pay?

Here's another one: Will I be expected to pay for mailing the engine back to Lite too? Personally I think Lite ought to pay some of these costs as a demonstration of "customer care"

I should get some answers later this afternoon

Tony
Old 11-03-2003, 08:19 AM
fiat

good luck Tony hope all works out for you. As far as shipping you are supposed to be responsible but maybe you can get them to help..
Old 11-03-2003, 10:02 AM
darthdrk

Ive been keeping up with this thread and Its pretty disappointing to continue to read about the Vmax7 engine problem. I have managed to get a good engine but i think its sad that you have to keep sending back engines that break and wont start. Im sure this isnt good PR for LiteMachines. I think its sad that there isnt an alternative to the v7. Lite should be looking to retrofit another engine to the Lite crutch and get away from the Norvels. While I like the power of the V7 engine Im still amazed that the problem with these engines hasnt been remedied. besides that, the glow plugs are a bit on the expensive side also. I dont know but mabey larry at Choppahedz could come up with something or even LiteMachines themselves. We here on the forums are just a small percentage of Lite fliers I can just imagine what the populous are going through. I wonder how many people have shelved their heli or is forced, if they can afford, to convert their heli to electric (electrics have their problems also, check ezone). We need a more powerful and reliable nitro power source. Well, alot of times this is the kinda thing that drives an individual to make a mod or develope an alternative. Im sure it wont be long before we see someone come up with a working idea.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
T.W.

Thanks Alan. I've spoken to Lite and you're right about the extra costs being down to me, but at least the original price of the V-7 will be refunded

The cost of sending the engine back to Lite has been "saved" too. After a long conversation which re-visited all the things I'd previously discussed by email with Paul Whitten, I was told that because of the special circumstances involved, I can keep the defective engine

So my V-7 is destined to become a paperweight and constant reminder of a very frustrating period of my LMH-flying days

So that's it, the end of another chapter. Now I will turn my attention to trying to persuade a buggy motor to power my LMH - and maybe look more seriously into getting a larger heli too

Tony
Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM
T.W.

Darth, I couldn't agree with you more - and dissapointing is putting it very mildly as far as my VMax-7 experience is concerned (I've been almost at the stage of pulling my hair out over the past three weeks!)

Everything you said is true. I told Lite on the 'phone today that in light of my own experience, and because of what I've been reading here about other's experiences, I don't ever want to see another V-7 for as long as I live . . . . but at the same time I really would like to continue flying my LMH 'cause I love the "flying experience" - when the engine can be persuaded to allow this

For the time being I have reverted back to my V-6, which will at least run and power my heli - it just likes to stop running occasionally is all! (Good job the LMH will "bounce!")

While I'm wishing I'd never tried up-grading to the V-7, I'm hoping I can get some flying in on the old V-6, just to re-vitalise my enthusiasm for the heli. But at the same time I want to do something like "notasme" has done - install as buggy motor onto my LMH . . . . but why aren't Lite looking into this kind of replacement engine - and maybe coming out with a nicely packaged conversion kit to do so? As you say, PR must be a nightmare for Lite at the moment

Tony
Old 11-03-2003, 08:49 PM
fiat

Tony and Darth, I have posted to chopperheads about the motor problem and he said that when at litemachines they did look into diff. engines for the LMH but why oh why have they never changed ????? I also do like the way the little chopper flys but it's not flying that frustrates me. I am hopeful that I get a good v-7 next, but if it dies out on me than I will convert to a buggy motor likw notasme had but there is a cost of experimentation to concider. Would it be better to just buy a .30 size chopper ?? Something to think of I guess. I still think that the fuel has something to do with it. We will see. Alan
Old 11-04-2003, 06:29 AM
T.W.

I'm with you Alan. I really like the way I can throw the LMH around without worrying that it will break when I "get it wrong." But it's the hours, days, and even weeks, spent "grounded" and tinkering with my V-7, which have put a damper on my enthusiasm for the LMH experience

I'm currently engaged in negotiations for a used Caliber heli and am looking forward to trying a "grown-up" heli some time soon. But I can't imagine it's going to be as much actual "fun" as my LMH to fly. However, it has a bog-standard OS engine, so at least it ought to run when I want it to - and be reliable to boot. Now that's got to be a massive bonus

I will keep my LMH - and I'll probably get around to "dressing it up" in a Darth fuz eventually - but only when my LMH engine situation has been resolved. Currently I'm measuring-up and thinking along the lines of making a slightly deeper rear crutch, and longer main shaft, so that I may be able to fit a pull-start buggy motor. This way there may be no need for actual engineering work around the drive-shaft area (I'm not an engineer!). I'm looking at this as a "Winter project" so don't expect to read any progress reports for a while

As far as the V-7's concerned, I now have no confidence whatsoever in the engine, so I will not try another one. But I do wish you "Good Luck" with your efforts to "get a good 'un" Alan

Tony