Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

!@$! Turns!!!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

!@$! Turns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 AM
ShotgunTC88
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !@$! Turns!!!

O.K guys the mystrey is.......

I have a Corona, Mega 15/16/3, 7cell 1900,Castle 35amper S.C, hobbico gyro,(Tried my Futaba GY401,no diff.)9tooth stock pinion,4deg.blade holders,everthing else stock.

The prob?,
Well no mater what I have tried I cannot get the little bugger to turn left anywhere NEAR as good as right (Right pirohettes are drillbit fast, Left is like 1/4 as fast) Turns left REAL Lazy!!

I have flown fixed pitch and collective Helis for at least 10-15yrs and I just cant figure this out!

No tail drive slip,gear slip,etc,etc,yada,yada Maxed out on left T.R servo/pitchslider,gyro from 20% all the way to 90% without change in habit, expo,Rev mix,and every dam thing else I can think of....

PLEASE offer some suggestions (besides belt drive<g>) the little guy just dont like turning left

Much thanks
Shotgun
Old 07-02-2004, 12:31 AM
askman

Default RE: !@$! Turns!!!

you have to adjust the tail rotor pushrod such that it is balanced. Make sure that length of the pushrod is correct. (the angle of the servo horn should be parallel to the tail rotor arm). Second, adjust the static pitch of the tail rotor such that helicopter is close to neutral when it is centered.

It takes some trial and error to set this right...
Old 07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
RandyT

Sorry if you don't mind I'll just keep throwing out ideas. Is the servo holding up under load~? Or maybe the gears are binding or broken~? Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:55 AM
ShotgunTC88

Thanks Randy,

I am using an M.G HS81, And have tried both 10deg. offset and parallel on the servo (Tail pitch lever still parallel).

I dont quite get what your saying about the "Static pitch being neutral"?, Do you mean the T.R blades being at neutral (i.e, both blades "zero pitch" as in the blade/ends holders both inline with each other?)

Goin nuts here...<GGG>

Thanks
Shotgun
Old 07-03-2004, 12:59 AM
ShotgunTC88

ORIGINAL: RandyT

Sorry if you don't mind I'll just keep throwing out ideas. Is the servo holding up under load~? Or maybe the gears are binding or broken~? Good luck.
Tried that too, I held the servo arm and tried to stall it, Its fine, No binding in T.R either

wierd

Shotgun
Old 07-03-2004, 09:31 AM
askman

too bad you don't live nearby or I can have it fixed in couple minute, and it is hard to explain without pics. I am assuming you are using good gyro.

first of all, make sure that servo arm and the tail rotor lever is paralle, then take a look at where the tail rotor servo arm is,when it is flying and not turning. You want the servo arm to be at about vertical when it is flying and not turning. if it is not vertical, you can adjust it by loosening the wheel collar at the end of the tail rotor and moving it in or out. Adjusting this, you will see that it will make it turn more to one way or another. Basically adjust this until you have same amount of sensitivity on tail rotor to both side.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:44 AM
RandyT

You probably did this, but when the t/r servo arm is at neutral, the t/r blades are at neutral, and the lock nut and the other piece are smashed against the spider link so there's no play~? Knowing that your flew before I would assume no boom slaps, but my boom was so whacked one time, the kink in it was interfering with the T/R shaft from spinning freely. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:24 AM
ShotgunTC88

ORIGINAL: RandyT

You probably did this, but when the t/r servo arm is at neutral, the t/r blades are at neutral, and the lock nut and the other piece are smashed against the spider link so there's no play~? Knowing that your flew before I would assume no boom slaps, but my boom was so whacked one time, the kink in it was interfering with the T/R shaft from spinning freely. Good luck.
Yep, got the T/R spider as tight/adjusted without play as you can on this machine without drag or slop, And yea, I have had quite a few boom slaps...<GG>, But got it back straight as an arrow with no drag on drive or whipping.

Gotta keep on trying, I love the little guy!!!

Thanks for the help
Shotgun
Old 07-04-2004, 01:31 AM
ShotgunTC88

Askman,

Well, I tried my GY401 and it didnt help so I stuck the Hobbico "Cheapie" back in..

Tail rotor control arm is parrallel and servo arm is offset at 10deg. right now (Static),

So I will take her out and see whats happining while in flight, It sounds like you may have a good idea, I didnt pay attention to the servo position in flight, Seems like the high fusalage right toruqe from the mainrotors could be causin a lot of the prob.

We will get it.

Much thanks guys!

Shotgun
Old 07-04-2004, 02:55 PM
RandyT

I don't know if this will help you any but this is how my T/R linkeage is set when the servo is at neutral. I set the horn straight up and down even though the manual I think say is should lean a few degrees clockwise. Both my Corona's are set up the same with no problems turn left or right. Kind of running out of ideas here but I'll keep thinking. Good luck. Ohh one thing, your tailrotor gearcase isn't cracked is it~? Even the smallest hairline cracks make the gears slip, but you would hear it kind of grinding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59212.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	150194  
Old 07-04-2004, 03:55 PM
ShotgunTC88

yepper, Thats the way its set up.

I got one other idea, I had a nice smack when I first got it and popped one of the T.R linkage (black guides) holders off and am just running with the one that didnt "dissapear", It could be flexing the pushrod!!!

Never even thought of that till you guys posted up.

If thats it Im gonna die...............

Thanks for the help.

Shotgun

p.s, yea the Tail rotor cases are easy to crack even in a mild tail strike, Two things you can do to help....

1.DONT tighten the bolt that holds it on the boom as tight as the manual states, Just snug it down where it wont shift on the boom.

2.(I know what you guys are thinkin, but that isnt it..)

When you tightin the setscrews on the T.R blades that hold it on the drive gear shaft snug them down to were if you have a tail/ground strike it will slip and absorb some of the impact.
It can save your gears and case.

Tightin them down enough to were you can hold the main gear and turn the T.R and still be able to make it slip on the T.R mainshaft
In a tail down,etc crash...., It wont slip under normal flying.

As a test (This was ignorant, but I had to try it) I run it up while using the instructions manual way and then the way I adjusted mine.

I tested it while having it strapped down and used a Tach to read the T.R rpms while cranking hard left and right after each adjustment (Mine/Manuals)....... NO slip or rpm change (I figured if the thrust while strapped down was more than in flight it would show slip on the rpms).

THEN, I took my daughters "donated" stuffed animal and put it into the T.R while running wide open on the stand <GGG> and it slipped on the shaft and didnt bust the tail case or strip the gears,
(It will groove the aluminum shaft slightly, but it dosent affect it when you retightin).

By the way,

I still had the left turn prob even with a filed flat spot on the front of the drive shaft (loc-tited too!) and the T.R blades gearshaft tightend to the max (even mashed the dam aluminum once..<G>), So Im sure that isnt causing the turn prob.
Later bros.

Billy/Shotgun
Old 07-04-2004, 04:20 PM
RandyT

I didn't want to spend the extra 16 dollars on the carbon fiber push rod. So I went to the LHS and picked up 1/8" aluminum tubing. I used shrink wrap in the middle under to tube to ease the rattling, and on the ends to hold it in place. It's stiff enough so you don't need to use the guides, and cheap enough (3 for a little more then a dollar) when you boom strike it enough to get ugly to change out. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 AM
RandyT

Shotgun:

Any luck with your mystery problem~?

Randy
Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 AM
ShotgunTC88

Randy,

I dropped the Hobbico Gyro down to a VERY low setting and it seems to help the turns........BUT, Talk about hairy!!<GGG>

I sure am glad I been flying so long...LOL!

Im gonna keep on messing with it, Im sure I can get it to work because I havent seen anyone else with it being this bad of a prob.

I will report my findings.

Thanks again for the help

Shotgun
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 AM
ShotgunTC88

Well............FINALLY!!

I kept easing down my Gyro and I would guess Im at 20% (Thank the Lord I have flown along time..<G>)

Solved the prob.

NOW, My dam Pitch keeps goin out!...................LOL!

I still love it though

Thanks all
Shotgun
Old 07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
RandyT

Still seems kind of odd that you would have to turn down the gyro that low. And it is probably a good thing that you've flown so long, I don't think I'd want to try it. How about the expo's and the epa on your transmitter, or maybe a change of receivers~? Bad T/R servo wire~? Or a setting on a switch from another heli is still there~? Well at least you got it how you want it to turn. Good luck.

Randy