Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
 Has this ever happened to your Corona 120, Or can you tell me why! >

Has this ever happened to your Corona 120, Or can you tell me why!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Has this ever happened to your Corona 120, Or can you tell me why!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has this ever happened to your Corona 120, Or can you tell me why!

I had just purchased a Corona 120 on ebay, A very nice clean machine, metal crutch and all. I flew the heli on a 7 cell 2400 mAh NICAD, it flew ok but I wanted more flying time without switching to lipoly and keeping all the electronics stock. So I decided to Put in a new Fusion 7 Motor and I Purchased a 7 cell GP-3300 NiMh Battery. The first few flights were ok with the 3300 NiMh battery, but the pack was not completely broken in yet, after a few charges I finally got the 7 cell 3300 NiMh battery to charge on my triton charger to it's full potential, and when I flew the helicopter, I was amazed to see how much longer the Heli Flew with the 3300 NiMh, BUT, when I was about half way or three quarter way through the NiMh 7 Cell Battery pack, The Corona Helicopter Went crazy and out of control and crashed, It acted like Rx/Tx signal interference, But upon investigation I found that the stock Castle Creations Speed control was partly melted![X(]
My Question is this.......! Was this a fluke of a defective or tired old speed control, or was I an Ass for thinking that the stock speed control could handle the power of a 7 cell 3300 NiMh Battery pack..... Not sure if it's safe to purchase another stock controller, Or should I use this 7 cell 3300 NiMh Battery with a brushless motor system for saftey sake........[&o]

By the way, Can you beleive that this corona crashed at full speed upsidown at an altitude of 11 feet, AND NOT A SCRATCH ON IT!
NO BROKEN BLADES NOTHING!!!!!! WOW IM IMPRESSED, HATS OF TO LHM COMPANY............
Old 09-05-2004, 06:43 PM

Default RE: Has this ever happened to your Corona 120, Or can you tell me why!

the fusion 7 motor is POS. if the motor did a terminal, it could fly the ESC. (but it should have shutdown before it melted, unless your BEC went instead, which is possible) I would go ahead and call LHM about it and see if they will replace it. they should. I would go ahead and get different motor. endoplasma or magnetic mayhem has been recommended with 7 cell. corona is tough. I've crashed in many ways, and most it cost me was about 30 bucks. recently, I broke one MR tub and couple blade in last couple month of constant flying and some hard crashes. I fly in about 30x30 in front of house on the road area, so It is tight especially when wind comes up. doing tight cirucuits and piros and trying to keep low...
Old 09-06-2004, 04:41 AM

Hey miniboy!

I thought that E-Power is problem free and you just plug in a battery and let her go!?
[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

(Nah, I'm just messin with you. )
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The stock controller and the stock motor are both junk. I've heard horror stories on both over and over. The stock ESC is a cheaped down version of the Pegasus 35 - for which I've never had a problem (the pegasus that is). Get an Atomic force motor or the endoplasm and a pegasus 35. The atomic force will work with 7 cells but likes 8 better. the endoplasm would probably do better with 7 cells as it's one less turn (16 vs. 17) and therefore has a slightly higher KV.

It's not the brushed setup thats bad - it's the POS stock motor and controller.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
My Feedback: (17)

I guess your right Skyhawknut, That's probably why a new castle creation stock speed control is only $39.00 You get what you pay for, Crap! But I've decided to take the guess work out of this whole mess! Ya see, I have 2 Corona 120's My first one is setup with a Mega Brushless system & Lipo battery, works like a dream, I just thought it would be nice to have 2 Corona's, One Stock and One Brushless upgraded. But Im just going to Upgrade my second Corona to a whole brushless system, I already know what to expect with that set-up and its not really that much more money. Besides I like the idea of being able to leave the lipoly battery already charged for days and then just taking the heli out on a moments notice. I can't begin to tell you how many times the weather was calm and perfect to fly, I then went to charge the NiMh or Nicad batteries, and by the time the batteries reached their peak charge the weather had already changed for the worst. I wanna fly when I decide to and not wait around.

By the way if anybody is interested, My Brand New 7 cell Flat pack GP3300 NiMh Battery is on ebay, item# 5919636795. Starting Bid only $9.99 NO RESERVE! My Brushless system is already on its way....

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!.......