Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

collective pitch?

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

collective pitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:53 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default collective pitch?

never flown a heli, and I could be completely wrong here but, doesnt collective pitch mean that when you increase the pitch of the rotor blades that the throttle responds simutaneously (collectively) so that the heli climbs or drops with the increased/decreased, pitch/speed(something along the lines of cruise control on a car going uphill)

like on a plane if you wanted to climb and you raised the elevator to climb,, the throttle would automatically increase....?

I'm only a parkflyer but what all/else are you doing with your thumbs that these 2 operations need to be connected?? I am just asking here because I hear so much talk of crashes and repairs and I honestly dont know... if you have a gyro for stabilization and a tractor type throttle for altitude then all there is left is left and right, and forward and backward, and up and down without the collective.....is this correct?..again I am just asking, I have no experience with helis but I think I'd like to get one.....Rog
Old 01-02-2003, 02:42 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep reading

Here is a link that has a ton of information.
http://www.helifever.com/links/index.cfm
Old 01-07-2003, 06:14 PM
raderrustler

I am not for certain Rog, but I do not believe the collective pitch changes with throttle, It is a seperate feature that rotates the main rotor blades to change lift characteristics, as when you go inverted with a heli your pitch goes from down thrust to up thrust with the heli inverted. Just what I think maybe I'm wrong, oh well. Thats why I have the 117.
Randy
Old 01-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Aracan

As far as I can tell, "collective pitch" refers to a rotorhead that allows you to change the pitch angle of both blades for the whole way around, thus making the heli go up or down.

The LMH has a simpler rotorhead, which only allows pitch-controlled nick and roll: The pitch angle changes when a blade reaches a certain point in its rotation.

The LMH rotorhead doesn't feature collective pitch, hence "up" and "down" are controlled by how far you open the throttle, which makes the rotor rotate faster or slower.

CP helicopters usually have a mixing function (either mechanical or electronical via the RC), which opens or closes the throttle when you change the collective pitch angle. This is necessary because as the pitch angle changes, so does the torque that is required to turn the rotor. The mixing function ensures that the rotor's rpm stay the same, no matter what the pitch angle is.