Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > LMH Helicopter
Reload this Page >

Need more power!

Community
Search
Notices
LMH Helicopter Discussion of all LMH helicopters both electric and glow.

Need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Sylvain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power!

Darth,
if you add the charger to the equipment needed for an electric heli, maybe you should add the starter, the fuel pump and the glow ignitor for a glow heli

Also, I'm not sure that glow heli are closer to realism. If you compare the noise of the Vmax6 and sound of a electric motor, the electric motor sound is close to a real turbine sound. Maybe electric helis a little more expensive, but don't forget about the zero maintenance of a brusless motor

Sylvain
Old 06-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Mini Boy

Default Need more power!

Hi guys:

Also, I'm not sure how the shorter 110 blades will sound (and I don't think it will be much different), but with the Corona, you can actually hear the "whop ... whop ... whop of the rotor wash beating around the tail boom. Sorta sounds like a Huey, but of course nowhere near as loud. It's really a rush!

Happy Choptering,

Russ
Old 06-11-2003, 02:21 AM
darthdrk

Default Need more power!

Did you mean the mainrotor blades beating on the tailboom?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:58 AM
10karer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Need more power!

Nice Dig Darth
Old 06-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Spiro

Default Need more power!

I am breaking in the new Vmax7 now and things are going well. I will keep you posted as to further progress. The following thread may be of interest:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...05#post1084648

For what it is worth,
Spiroo
Old 06-22-2003, 04:17 AM
Spiro

Default Sparky

Ok, lets talk electric for just a few minutes. I would really like some knowledgeable advice on the following:

1) Specific Battery Packs. What kind, type of cells, who sells them, price…
2) Chargers. What do you use, what do you recommend, what is required, what settings do you use…
3) My charger. I have a MRC Super Brain 959 Delta Peak Charger that works great for my TX and RX nicads and nimhs. For more info check out:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVN1&P=0

Could I use this?

4) Different Brushless setups. I have seen a number of motors and controllers offered at different prices. What makes one cost more than the next? Is there any flight / performance difference between them? Most seem to deliver similar hover times at least...

Thanks in advance,
Spiro
Old 06-22-2003, 04:36 AM
darthdrk

Default Need more power!

Spiro, The brain should work for charging 7-8 cell battery packs. Im kinda gettin my feet wet with electric too. If you need a motor I have an extra motor you can have it may need some new brushes which is simple to replace and youre going to need a ESC and a 9T pinion. The motor is an Electro Fusion 7 I hear youll need a 7 cell pack for this motor for best performance. 8 cells makes the motor run hot, well at least for me it does. I only have a 8 cell 1500 pack and working on getting a 7cell pack at least a 2400 pack. i dont know much about chargers but youll want a quick charger instead of an overnight charger. Guys over at RCgroups.com over in the electric heli forum seem to the electric setups down to a science. Davensocal and Fred Bronk has a wealth of knowledge and are willing to help the green(electric newbies) guys like us.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Mini Boy

Default Need more power!

Hi Spiro:

I've spent over an hour trying to find the links to the post you are looking for, and I can't do it ... give me some clues as to what it was all about.

Sorry to hear of your plight with the V-Maxx ... I've been reading a few stories like that these days.

It seems as you may be investigating the electric neighborhood. I would like to caution you (and Darth too) that your are only going to get from electric what you put into it. I for example, wish that when I ventured the Corona route that LiPoly batteries were as proven as they are now, as I would have by-passed the NiMh packs and gone right to the LiPo's.

My suggestion, knowing the mistakes I've already made, is to forget the brushed motor idea, and go directly to an inexpensive brushless, Mega or Jeti, with a Castle Creations (The NEW Improved ones) or a Jeti ESC. Then get a charger that can charge NiCd, NiMh AND LiPo. You then can do all sorts of things with batteries, as the motor and charger don't care what they run on.
Unfortunately, I can't suggest a charger, as I am investigating that at this time. I've heard the Great Planes Triton is reliable and does a good job, but I don't know what the charge rates are, and therefor how long it will take to charge a pack. You want a charger that will charge a 2600 MaH pack in 20 to 30 min. or so. The 2600 Sanyo HRSC-2600 MaH NiMh packs have been working out best for most folks. solid 10 min. + flights are very customary. I have a Shulze isl6-330-d charger that works like a charm, a bit pricey and WON'T do LiPo's. Shulze is talking about a software/chip upgrade to fix that, but I need more info on that.

Bottom line, There never was an article made that couldn't be made worse for less money.

For what it's worth,

Russ
Old 06-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Spiro

Default Need more power!

Mini Boy,

I am a bit confused,

"
I've spent over an hour trying to find the links to the post you are looking for, and I can't do it ... give me some clues as to what it was all about.
"

What are we talking about again?

Yeah, I hear you about the electric investment. It seems like they way to go, given the cash. Don't worry, I would never even consider anything other than a brushless setup.

I am, as stated in my 4th question, curious as to what difference there is from one brushless motor to the next. They all seem to get similar flight times and thus, I assume, efficiency. I have never heard anyone complain about the SoAndSo brushless setup being underpowered and wishing they had gone with ThatOtherGuy instead. I know you fly the hacker and are a big fan of that. Given the same choice today would you put the money in the hacker or less money in the mega?

Spiro
Old 06-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Mini Boy

Default Need more power!

Hi spiro:

Well ... now I know I'm losing it!!

I THINK you P.M. 'd me with a question about a post I made with a link to something???????

At this point in time, it probably doesn't matter any more!

GOOD ... as far as all who have had expereince with brushed motors, and the brushless, you are on the right track with going brushless route.

NOW ... question 4: and boy, that's a GOOD one! ( a lot of thought is going into this one!) Because fixed pitch heli's have a very poor GLIDE slope, if I were to buy another Corona, I MIGHT go with Hacker again. BUT, in the meantime, I certainly would give serious thought to a Jeti. ESPECIALLY when you realize that a "Hacker" 40-3P ESC is REALLY a Jeti!!!!!

To prove a point, I am ordering 2 Hobbico Superstar EP airplanes(PLEASE don't tell anyone) and one will have a replacement brushless motor/ESC, and it WON'T be a Hacker, but more than likely a Jeti, as the plane can GLIDE, and I don't need the confidence of the reliability of the Hacker AT ALL!
I think one can sum this all up by saying that all the brushless motors out there work well and are definitely more efficient and reliable than brushed, period. You want to be careful of the ESC, 'cause that can getcha when you are not lookin', and as time goes by, with the help of these phenomenal forums, we'll all know what the "hot setup" is.

Hope this clarifies SOME of the issues a bit?

Happy Investigating,

Russ
Old 07-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Spiro

Default Need more power!

crashedanyway,

I just got the Vmax7 up and running. I have broken it in and flew my first tank this afternoon. It did great on quite a hot day. It was in the upper 90’s here and I could hardly stand the humidity. The Vmax6 would give me all sorts of trouble on a day like today. I still need to fool around with blade grips and compression washers. I will let you know a little more about the performance when I have a few tanks under my belt.

Spiro