Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

reason for custom exhaust pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
c.rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reason for custom exhaust pipe?

ok, i know everything else in the world gets a gain by an aftermarket exhaust.. i guess im just wondering what the deal is with them. (im new to the nitro scene)

they all basically look the same? i need some info..
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
dzchey21

Default RE: reason for custom exhaust pipe?

There is alot to pipes, and i honestly cant tell you that much about it other than the savage guys seam to like the ofna 086 pipe but im not sure how well it will work with our headers, from what i was told the pipe that comes on the xxl isnt that bad, im going to run it with my picco.

I let one of my savage buddies take my old stock pipe while my truck was down and he said it made a huge difference on his stock 4.6 engine.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: c.rod

ok, i know everything else in the world gets a gain by an aftermarket exhaust.. i guess im just wondering what the deal is with them. (im new to the nitro scene)

they all basically look the same? i need some info..
Here's an article I had scanned awhile back from RC Car Action.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM
dzchey21

good article, too bad we cant adjust our pipes
Old 03-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Mclovin350z

If your pipe pipe and manifold goes together with a coupler and zip ties, you can adjust it.
Very good article I remember that one.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM
c.rod

so , how many, which ones are out there etc? i know losi makes pipes, so on the XXL is it really an advantage to put a pipe on or is the stock one already a perf.. pipe?

i guess i understand the basics of it from the helpfull link above, but im just wondering how the tuned pipe is compared to the stock one...
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

so , how many, which ones are out there etc? i know losi makes pipes, so on the XXL is it really an advantage to put a pipe on or is the stock one already a perf.. pipe?

i guess i understand the basics of it from the helpfull link above, but im just wondering how the tuned pipe is compared to the stock one...
Any Aftershock, Mega baja and any other Losi monster truck besides the LST line will probably come stock with an M26SS and a different muffler. This one has a stinger close to the middle of the pipe - this pipe is not any good. Any of the LST trucks will come with an HT pipe. This is a good all-around pipe which is good on most RTR .26-.28 engines. If you swap over to a higher end engine, you'll want to match the pipe to the engine. On most monster truck pipes, they are non adjustable. In essence, these are more like a 1/4 wave tuned muffler vs. a true full-wave tuned pipe. 1/4 wave tuned mufflers are non-adjustable by nature, but are tuned for a specific group of engines. Full-wave tuned pipes are mainly used on planes and boats - these can be long or short depending on how you want the engine to perform but require shortening the header and/or pipe itself to tune it in 100%.

If you have a stock XXL with the stock exhaust, its probably an HT pipe and is more than adequate for the 454 or comparable engine. I doubt they have the port timing to take full advantage of a better pipe like a Buku or Ofna.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 PM
c.rod

thats exactly what i was looking for.... so not much of a gain(if any)on the xxl....
Old 03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

thats exactly what i was looking for.... so not much of a gain(if any) on the xxl....
If you had a high performance engine, then you'd want a different pipe but I think the general LST population would agree the HT works plenty good on the stock RTR engines.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
ntrain42

The stock Sport pipe is an excellent match for the 454. I'd keep it and not worry about it to start. Its a good tuned pipe for the 454 thats gives a nice wide powerband. There are other pipes that will give you a bit more top end, but they will sacrifice low end torque, not something you want to lose on the XXL unless you want to regear it a bit. To start off, I wouldn't mess with anything and work on getting to know your engine and MT.