Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

xxl brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 AM
dzchey21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xxl brake upgrade

So i finnally got around to doing a brake upgrade on my xxl because the pads were wore down to bare metal on my stock shoes
I took a losi 8ight brake disc, and it mounted right up, its a fiber disc rather than two metal discs. I used my wore out all metal pads and let me tell ya, the thing stops sooo much better now, super smooth, not too grabby, I was shocked the first time i went from full speed to a stop on the street, it stop so fast i thought something was wrong LOL. But here is the best part it never wanted to flip over forward while doing so, which for me is the best part.

I also used a peice of fuel tubing over the brake linkage rod instead of the spring that comes on the truck, really seams to help give a more positive feel between the brake and the controler.

only thing i do need to do is get another brake pad to add to the stack, it works now but once the disc starts to wear it wont be adjustable any more, i think one more pad with no brake material otta do the trick

Anyway i know its been done before but i thought i would just share my findings on this.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 AM
ntrain42

Default RE: xxl brake upgrade

Better off with the LST high performance brake pads and new or resurfaced brake discs. When set up properly you will get better braking action and less drag. Ive seen the 8ight disc swap out and was not really overly impressed with the way it works or the potential for binding.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Mclovin350z

The stock xxl brakes are horrible. I did the same thing with an 8ight disc and all three pads. I can't believe losi even uses metal discs in the first place lol. Them things bind on the shaft something terrible. Ever since the switch it's been butter smooth and predictable every time.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:09 PM
dzchey21

yeah stock brakes are a joke and bound up on me many times, this set up so far as not, i have a smaller disc i could throw on to help keep the disc straight, but for me its working awesome, smooth and bind free, even alot of high speed passes on the street hasnt seamed to effect it much...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Mclovin350z

Did you use all three original pads with the single 8ight disc? I put1 on1 side and two on the other, it holds the disc straight and has no drag worth mentioning.

Re-reading your first post.... "because the pads were wore down to bare metal on my stock shoes".... you do know the stock pads are just metal pieces right?

Either way you've done yourself a favor, your driveline will thank you.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Mclovin350z

Did you use all three original pads with the single 8ight disc? I put1 on1 side and two on the other, it holds the disc straight and has no drag worth mentioning.

Re-reading your first post.... "because the pads were wore down to bare metal on my stock shoes".... you do know the stock pads are just metal pieces right?

Either way you've done yourself a favor, your driveline will thank you.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM
dzchey21

Well i guess i didnt know it was total metal on metal, some of the pics of factory brakes looked like they had a lining on them like a regular brake pad

Anyway yes i have two on one side one on the other, althought it could use one more pad, but the thing is working awesome, doesnt seam to have issues with getting wet like the stock set up did, and doesnt grab sometimes, and then not work others, seams to work faster on jumps too without the aggressive nose dives or not working fast enough, like i said im pleased with it and im sure the front diff is alot happier with me LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Tom08

Maybe i did something wrong. My 8ight disc split on third run. Was perfect untill then!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0451.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	1978537