Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Just bought a nice LST2!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM
whipnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just bought a nice LST2!

Pretty cool video. I'd be bringing a brushless to that gun fight!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I ran my brushless truck for pulling. I beat the other guy with my LST2, so there was no need to try and race myself. lol

The brushless truck pulled about right with my LST2, I just didnt get it on video. Racing, if you can control them, brushless is faster. For pulling, im still not 100% sure that a brushless will really kick a nitro's butt. The nitro's are real hard to beat pulling if you have them set up right because they get into their power and stay there. It was a lot of fun to run them both though.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

nice ! i wish there would be events like that around here...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I ran my brushless truck for pulling. I beat the other guy with my LST2, so there was no need to try and race myself. lol

The brushless truck pulled about right with my LST2, I just didnt get it on video. Racing, if you can control them, brushless is faster. For pulling, im still not 100% sure that a brushless will really kick a nitro's butt. The nitro's are real hard to beat pulling if you have them set up right because they get into their power and stay there. It was a lot of fun to run them both though.

on our track the nitro's are beating the brushless
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
whipnet

ORIGINAL: supertib

Weird. Well I can only speak for my truck, and there is no comparison from when it was nitro to it now being brushless. http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savag...onversion.html

Must be other factors.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
cummins driver

Well, I guess im comparing it to RTR engines. Im about 99% sure my savage and my LST2 would outrun my brushless truck in a drag race just because of the fact that they are much more driveable and easy to control. However, the brushless truck will flip on its back at 30mph so i feel like its a lot more torquey and if I could get it to the ground, im pretty sure it would be hard for my nitro trucks to beat. Im sure a truggy with brushless vs a modded nitro is pretty close though. Both of those can get the power down better.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whipnet

Weird. Well I can only speak for my truck, and there is no comparison from when it was nitro to it now being brushless. http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savag...onversion.html

Must be other factors.

Now we are running modified Nitro's against race spec BL setups...the nitro have more speed, the BL more torque.... what makes the difference is the extra weight of the BL's works against them....my nitro 6T is almost 1 pound lighter then my buddies 5S 6T setup.........on the track that extra weight makes a huge difference in the vehicles ability to brake and accelerate on the track surface...as well the extra weight seems to make them more prone to breakage on a bad landing........
Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
cummins driver

Well I managed to bust the fuel tank today somehow Not sure how on earth that happened. I know I did it landing a jump, but it wasnt a huge jump, or a horrible landing. Does the chassis flex enough to do something like this? Guess im gonna have to stay away from the jumps with this thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83514.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1630397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55419.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1630398  
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or make sure your suspension is set up right.. (my guess - too thin oil in the shocks, letting it bottom out too hard..) I've never broken a tank, and I have two LST2's. And jump as much as possible..

Broke a Savage tank though once..
Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

i broke 2-3 tanks in the 3 years im using lst platforms and never broke one from the bottom.
they broke from either a hole in the side or the mounting ears. both from landings upside down and the body crushing the tank. (even the one that broken a quarter size hole in the side, engine stalled and i immediatly saw the fuel puddle)

im guessing bad luck, broken/craked tank post, or your rubber grommets are worn and letting the tank sit on the chassis.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
cummins driver

I dont think its anything to do with shock oil. The truck isnt bottoming out and i wasnt jumping it that high. Even if it did bottom out, I cant see that causing the fuel tank to bust? Not a single upside down landing, and I didnt even flip it, so I know it didnt get crushed from the top. Guess its just one of those things(bad luck as you say... haha), but id still like to know why it happened.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
HerrSavage

To be honest, the New Era roll-bar is probably the main reason I've never broken one..
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

i agree, but i have a hard time justifying the price, specially because i would have to buy 2 ...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM
HerrSavage

I know, it's expensive. But it IS a really good part to have.. No need to buy two. I have two LST2's and only have the roll-bar on my basher. But it's really easy to just throw it on the other truck if for some reason you need to. Three screws and off you go.. Can only drive one truck at a time anyway.. [&:]
Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Does the chassis flex enough to do something like this?
Yes, unfortunately it does. I've only seen one broken tank on an LST in person, but the chassis does flex a lot, usually resulting in broken plastic rails.

If you plan to jump a lot, you may want to look into a New Era roll bar and skid plate set to stiffen it up.

my guess - too thin oil in the shocks, letting it bottom out too hard..
You should never try to compensate for a too-soft suspension setup by using higher viscosity oil. The oil is there to control dampening on rebound, not to absorb the impact of a landing, which is the job of the springs. Attempting to use heavy oil for jumping will simply increase the effect of hydraulic shock, resulting in blown shock bodies and bent/snapped shafts.

If your chassis is built solidly, bottoming out on very large jumps actually isn't a problem - it reduces the loading on the suspension parts, and redirects the stress to the strongest part of the vehicle.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
HerrSavage

I should have said - "too soft suspension set-up", which yes probably has more to do with springs.. Which is why I always recommend RC Raven springs.. The stock LST2 springs are definitely too soft IMO for jumping.. From factory though the stock oil is also too thin.. 35 is good..
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM
cummins driver

Im gonna have to chalk it up to chassis flex. I didnt land on the top, didnt really even do any nose dives, just landed front down and rear down a time or 2 but no lawn darting really. lol I dont really think the new era bar would have helped me any here since its the rear of the truck that flexed; however i will be building a rollbar for the truck soon.

Since my wife is going to be pulling this truck at the R/C pulls I went ahead and got the weight rack built. It weighs real close to what it needs to with 2 plates of steel on the rack. I have 2 more i can put on if needed, but i dont have any use for them really since its already about where it needs to be on the weight with just 2 plates. Ill probably get some shorter bolts, and paint it all up soon. I think it turned out good though. I also got my shock spacers (hydraulic line) to keep the rear end from squatting under load, and the hitch has been built but oll post a picture of it too.

I need to ditch the wing and buy a real truck body for this thing. Would look great then i think[8D]

Name:	db83940.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1631648   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn41692.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1631649   Click image for larger version

Name:	jo31391.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1631650   Click image for larger version

Name:	zt52317.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1631651   Click image for larger version

Name:	te47419.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1631652   Click image for larger version

Name:	lc48615.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1631653   Click image for larger version

Name:	ln11499.jpg
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1631654  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
mrsheldon

I just bought another LST2(aftershock and i want to change the the shocks. I've had 3 LST based trucks and all of them had soft suspension.Any idea's.Im leaning towards savy flux big bores or CEN GST 7.7 shocks (4). 

Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
cummins driver

You just need some stiffer springs/oil in the stocker i imagine. No need to change to different shocks when you can tune these to work how you want. Plus, the LST shocks are very nice IMO.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM
mrsheldon

yeah your right. my buddy gave some CEN shocks for a GST 7.7 today. im gonna try them and get back .Ill post some pics of it.

Name:	Ge96017.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1631977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55862.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1631978  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
whipnet

You could always slap some Baja 5B shocks on there like I did my Savage.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
mrsheldon

NICE SAVAGE !!!Checked your photos. Those are a little too long for me. but it looks great. Im trying to keep the wait down also. I have some blue LST2 already and the cen shock is lighter.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM
whipnet

Thanks, and cool man.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
mrsheldon

Here's my LST2 roller with the CEN GST shocks....

Name:	Us53495.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1633228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54992.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1633229