Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

1/8th Raminator engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 PM
rebelleader225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8th Raminator engine

I have had my 1/8th raminator for awhile, before the .26 went out. So i went and bought an axial .28, and i've had nothing but issues with it. i broke it in then tuned it(using my temp gauge) and it runs very crappily... not impressed what so ever. I have a few buddies who swear by axial, but for some reason i've been having nothing but issues. A couple days ago i got it running fine, and i ran 3 tanks through it before it quit. It wasnt overheating or anything. i tested the glow plug, and it worked fine. But i still put a new glow plug in and can't get it to start. My buddies have no idea whats wrong, they said they think the engine is shot. Any ideas? If anything i was just thinking about getting a losi 454 to throw in it, seems like a decent engine, but im on a tight budget.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: 1/8th Raminator engine

1st, dont tune with a temp gun.
tune with smoke and sound.

2nd some like axial engines, but i had a really bad experience with mine.

3rd if you get a 454, check on ebay - you can find them for cheap and they are a good engine.

to know if your axial is dead, check compression by turning the flywheel with your fingers. it should have compression at the top of the stroke.
if it starts good when cold then stalls when getting hot - and wont start back until it cools down, its a sing of a worn engine.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a 454 - the LRP Spec 3 was the perfect engine for LST trucks IMO.. Just seal the carb and backplate and off you go.. And yeah, check ebay - should be able to get one for $125 or so...

Another option could be a Dynamite Big Red - that's what I have in my basher LST2 now.. User-friendly, decent power, cheap.. Check out www.overdriverc.com for good prices.. Hell, even a teal Mach 427 would be a good engine.. It's near LRP/454 powerful, but drinks a lot less fuel.. Same if not better top end, but lacks some of the down low power... Got to search "Losi 427" normally...

Losi 454/LRP Spec 3, Big Red, teal Mach.. All good and cheap.. For a bit more, LRP 30 if you can swing it..
Old 06-03-2011, 02:51 PM
rebelleader225

thanks yall, i just talked to my dad and he is sending me his losi eight with the 427 in it and im gonna pull the 427 and put it in my ram, its already tuned, and im gonna switch the eight over to a brushless set up
Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

its allready tuned ? tuning can change within a couple hours or from day to day.
he is sending it to you ? if i tune my engines in my backyard, and then i drive 15mins to my bashspot the tuning can also be off.

your best bet is to learn how tu tune. it may be frustrating at first but when you understand it and you see your engine runing 40 000rpm because of your tuning the feeling is good !
Old 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
rebelleader225

i know how to tune, he's an hour or so away, and i plan on tuning it anyways but itll be closer to a tune instead of going from factory settings. but im hopin it gets here soon, cuz i havent been able to run in a little while... and it sucks lol im going through withdrwals... i saw a few engineers runnin them in the parkin lot on our lunch and it was killing me