Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

40 series vs. 30 series..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 40 series vs. 30 series..

I've been running 40 series tires on my LST2's since I got them. They're sickly expensive and I thought about swapping down to "Maxx" size or 30-series tires for the next set. Anyone have an opinion on the two sizes on 1/8th scale rigs? I dont race, and I dont care if it looks funny..

Also, does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting good tires off of crappy rims without destroying the tires? I have a set of 40-series big joes the previous owner dorked it when taping the tires and they have a nasty "lump" to them that I want to correct and put on 20mm rims instead of the 23mm they're on now. I just dont want to ruin the tires in the process.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 40 series vs. 30 series..

My blood pressure goes up when I think of trying to run smaller tires on an LST2. The LST2 is a great overall platform, but somehow in its DNA smaller MT or truggy LPR-size tires just don't work.

I tried three complete different transmissions and at least three complete different two-speeds on my racer.. And they all slipped every time.. The last one was especially annoying cuz I had put a bunch of new stuff on the truck over the winter - tank, clutch, etc.., and was looing forward to taking it to some tracks early this spring. And the 2-speed cam was slipping within half a tank on firing it up first time this year. I then summarily took out the engine and receiver, and the truck has been sitting in the dark in the cellar ever since.

I will either never run non-40 series tires again, or maybe some day try a single speed for the hell of it, if I ever decide to revive my track LST2.

HPI Terra Pins worked great on it btw though.

Maybe you just need to try a new class of RC - maybe a buggy?.. Buggies, though they don't look as cool IMO, are fun, fast, and reliable. An SC8 is also a lot of fun..
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used tire from a tmaxx and savage because I had a bunch of extras in a box in my garage. I didn't have any problems running them. And I think they looked fine.

To get tires off of old rims. try boiling them in a large pot for about five minutes and the glue will get brittle and just break off.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

My blood pressure goes up when I think of trying to run smaller tires on an LST2. The LST2 is a great overall platform, but somehow in its DNA smaller MT or truggy LPR-size tires just don't work.

I tried three complete different transmissions and at least three complete different two-speeds on my racer.. And they all slipped every time.. The last one was especially annoying cuz I had put a bunch of new stuff on the truck over the winter - tank, clutch, etc.., and was looing forward to taking it to some tracks early this spring. And the 2-speed cam was slipping within half a tank on firing it up first time this year. I then summarily took out the engine and receiver, and the truck has been sitting in the dark in the cellar ever since.

I will either never run non-40 series tires again, or maybe some day try a single speed for the hell of it, if I ever decide to revive my track LST2.

HPI Terra Pins worked great on it btw though.

Maybe you just need to try a new class of RC - maybe a buggy?.. Buggies, though they don't look as cool IMO, are fun, fast, and reliable. An SC8 is also a lot of fun..
I merely want opinions on using smaller tires. I should have mentioned and I didnt; I would gear it up a bit more if I switched to a smaller tire size. Smaller tires would help the engine spool up quicker since they weigh a good bit less. I could probably drop the nitro content in the fuel a bit too since there wouldnt be as high of a demand for power to turn these enormous tires..

I didnt bring this up to have you or anyone else tell me I should consider another platform. No offense, but I rank that in the same category as "converting to electric will cure your nitro troubles".....

I respect your opinion, and I thank you for sharing your experience.

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I used tire from a tmaxx and savage because I had a bunch of extras in a box in my garage. I didn't have any problems running them. And I think they looked fine.

To get tires off of old rims. try boiling them in a large pot for about five minutes and the glue will get brittle and just break off.
There has to be an entire bottle of CA glue in these tires. The glue hasnt budged. I think I'll try a little acetone and see if they come loose. i wasnt sure if the acetone will eat the rubber, so I'll test it on the inside of the wheel in a small spot.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Muskokarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a lighter tire look into some buggy tires

The acetone will most likely eat away the cheap rims leaving the rubber cleaned.   Will need to give them a good wash before gluing onto new rims.  I have used the boiling method successfully.  Trick is to do one side at a time try leaving them in longer to.  You can also put them in the oven but that stinks up the whole place.   

Jang on URC has done a few vids showing how to use the different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateRCnetwork

Old 10-16-2011, 07:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

For a lighter tire look into some buggy tires

The acetone will most likely eat away the cheap rims leaving the rubber cleaned. Will need to give them a good wash before gluing onto new rims. I have used the boiling method successfully. Trick is to do one side at a time try leaving them in longer to. You can also put them in the oven but that stinks up the whole place.

Jang on URC has done a few vids showing how to use the different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateRCnetwork

I dont care if the rims get all eaten up. When I built my second LST2, all I had were 23mm hubs laying around so I put them on to have both trucks rolling. I dont want to use the 23mm hubs, as I havent seen too many wheel options for them. My other LST2 uses the standard 17mm hubs and I want to change the 23's over to 17's.

I would think buggy wheels/tires would be too small. I think the 30 series or Maxx would be small enough to not look funny but big enough to provide adequate traction off-road. Again, I'm not considering this for racing. Just something different, and a little cheaper.

I'm going to see if the acetone is gonna work or not sometime today. I havent ran the .28 for a couple months so I should probably burn the cobwebs off of it.. (It went for a dip in the mississippi after a bad runaway off a cliff...)
Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Muskokarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured you where not worried about the rims.   

Got to love those oh crop moments seeing you rc going somewhere it should never have gone.   I have been to good at finding the only solid object in a large empty parking lot.   

How does a nitro motor deal with water??

Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Muskokarc

Figured you where not worried about the rims.

Got to love those oh crop moments seeing you rc going somewhere it should never have gone. I have been to good at finding the only solid object in a large empty parking lot.

How does a nitro motor deal with water??

Glow/Nitro engines do what any engine do when they get wet. They quit. (LoL) All I do if I suck up some water is drain the water out and re-fire the engine and run it out to WOT to clear all the water out. Not a big deal usually. My airboat engines suck water on a regular basis and usually restart within 5 minutes. I flipped my .65 bushing engine and my Thunder Tiger .46 and had the crankcase and muffler full of water. Drain it out, fire it up, and run it. When my LST2 went for a swim, it took me about 3-4 minutes to get down to where it landed and retrieve it. The engine was still running until I got down to the truck, then the engine quit. It wasnt submersed. I had to turn the radio off and manually open the throttle to run the water out of the engine because the servos got wet and started twitching and not responding.

Thankfully I built the radio boxes waterproof on my airboats so the electronics stay dry. My LST2 monster truck didnt fare so well - one of the steering servos' motor got stuck and the servo wouldnt work. I thought the bearing was rusted but it was the motor. A little oil and running the motor back and forth loosened it up and is now working fine. HiTec wouldnt send me a new servo motor, so I just got it working. I'm testing it today. The inside of the servos looked clean and had no corrosion. Just 1 stuck motor. Steering is working fine now, so hopefully it runs good today. It hasnt ran since it went for the swim.

The electronics are what concern me the most with regards to water. The engines dont care much. In fact, if one can actually get carbon to build up in a car engine, dripping water into the carb with the engine running at a good rpm will "decoke" the carbon and flush it out. Airplane guys have to do it every so often since they're run at a more constant rpm and the engines run a tad warmer. This seems counterintuitive but it happens. My .46 has a light layer of carbon on it, and has only seen about 1.5 gallons of fuel so far. My car engines never get carboned up.

Anyway, back on the subject of tires. I did some looking around - I was hoping they made PL Dirt Hawgs in a 40-series but they dont make them. The biggest they come are 30-series or 2.8". I've always had good luck with these on my Rustler in a 2.2" size... Looks like the 40-series tires are somewhat limited for all-terrain bashing use. There's more options in the 30-series but I'm not decided on going to a smaller tire yet. I have a spare set of 17mm x 40 series losi wheels but I have been unsuccessful getting the big joes off the 23mm wheels. The P.O. glued the crap out of them. The taping job gave them a nasty wobble that at higher speeds makes the truck hop. Balancing will not fix it.

I'm taking both LST2's out today to run with a buddy so I'm gonna hit the hobby shop beforehand and see what tires are available. I need to swap out the 23mm hexes for the 17/20mm hexes the LST2 comes with stock. The 23's fit too tight, with the setscrew set tight to the drive pin causes the axle to bind. [:@]