Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Losi Monster Trucks
 Identified serious LST problems & resolves. >

Identified serious LST problems & resolves.

Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Identified serious LST problems & resolves.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Identified serious LST problems & resolves.

OK, here you go.

1 snapped turnbuckle: broke while jumping in a parking lot on asphalt, due to a bad landing.
1 broken clutch spring: just driving it after about 1&1/2 gallons of fuel.
2 broken a-arms: broke after many jumps at a nearby construction site. I was jumping a big pile of asphalt grindings and reaching heights of 10-15 feet. Broke after several bad landings.
3 broken a-arms: broke at a friends house while hitting a jump in his back yard. Heights between 5 and 10 feet. 2 of them broke in one incedent after several bad landings, and 1 broke the same way in a different incedent.
2 broken cvds: 1 at a nearby homemade BMX track after many jumps, and 1 at my friends house mentioned above.
1 bent cvd: at the same friends house, and in conjuction with 2 broke a-arms. This one was caught on film and I posted the vid here and at other forums.
2 trashed bodies: 1 was the stock body, and the other is the Proline F-150 body. I need a roll bar.

Total amount of fuel used: somewhere around 2-2&1/2 gallons so far.

On a side note: this truck has been far more durable than my highly modified Tmaxx. I've had a few broken parts on the LST, but I still consider it to be a very durable truck. I've bashed it pretty hard and would expect any truck to break after the things it's been through.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry fred, but this is not an issue we can really argue over. Losi themselves has admitted the clutch springs, and cvd, and axle issue. Isnt that enough for you? I spoke with Bill last week and he told me the parts on the truck now, are not even what they designed. They arent even what they tested prior to release. He told me they (Losi) were really pissed about this. I know everyone has an opinion, but theres just no room to argue over these known issues. Losi is fixing them, thats all that matters.

ORIGINAL: fastfred

I've been around...

Glad I could entertain you... I'm here every weekend....

I'm serious, are you guys breaking this stuff racing, bashing, jumping, or what?

The only guy I've met that has a LST can't do anything but rave about it, so I'm curious as to how you're breaking this stuff.

I could post in a thread that I broke an axle on one of my trucks. But without knowing that I broke the axle when I dropped the truck down a flight of concrete stairs it woudn't really provide a good point of reference, understand?

matt
Old 09-06-2004, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The only guy I've met that has a LST can't do anything but rave about it
well you havent met me, but i rave about how much i like this truck also, BUT when it comes to the axles and clutch springs they are just simply weak.. you can break them just running around the back yard... as far as the hex's i cant comment on those because i havent had a problem with mine...
Old 09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Jefx, that's what I was looking for. That gives me something to base an opinion on.

Thermal,

Did Losi post on this thread? Not that I saw, without knowing that the breaks were due to normal use, or something else, those comments aren't too useful in judging whether or not the LST will hold up to my driving.

If I post and say that my XXX-4 G+ broke the rear arm mounts, rear shock tower, bent the Ti turnbuckle, and broke a rear arm without also mentioning that it was running at full speed, in reverse, while powered by a brushless system, and hit a concrete barricade it doesn't really tell the whole story.

m
Old 09-06-2004, 07:29 PM

lol.. i really dont know where your coming from? but here is a link to a site that ADAM DRAKE says that LOSI is working on the axle problem... also if you would do a little searching you will find that the clutch springs and the diff cases are also being addressed!! [link=http://thedrake.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=873]ADAM DRAKE!![/link] oh and if you dont know who adam drake is .. he is one of losi factory drivers..
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Hey, I don't know about you guys, but I have a limited amount of time to research RC stuff. So I came to RCU to read up on the LST, and so I came straight to this thread.

None of the initial posts in this thread offered any real-world reference to how they were breaking stuff. No, I don't have time to research every forum online to see what every team driver has to say. Fantomas, thanks for the link, how come you didn't lead off with that? Again, I'll restate my initial comment:

Please provide a point of reference with your gripes.
And yes, I know who The Drake is.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:48 PM

LMAO!! i will also restate my initial comment
so i guess when you finally get one you can enlighten us..
Old 09-06-2004, 10:51 PM

Fastfred, i dont know what to tell ya. The simple fact is that the axles, and cvd's are breaking when they shouldnt be. Mine may have broke while on the track, and Fantomas may have broken while he was sitting at idle. The bottom line is LOSI acknowledges the problem. They are defective. Dont be surprised if the first second you hit the gas, you break an axle. Its quite possible. So to answer your question, will it handle YOUR driving??? No, at some point it will give. No matter how easy you are on it. The problem should be fixed in a couple more weeks. The clutch springs are no big deal to me. Tuning a clutch to my preference is something i do to every vehicle i own.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:14 AM

There's no question that lots of forum users have had problems with axles, cvds, clutch springs, etc. but I've had two interesting conversations with the two largest hobby shop/raceways in our large metro area this week. Both have stocked a pretty heavy inventory of LST parts and both had the same story: "nobody seems to be breaking anything."

They didn't say this to sell an LST since I already own one but rather were really kind of bellyaching about how much they'd invested in LST repair parts and weren't selling any. One is a large 3-track raceway and the owner said they have sold 6 LSTs and have about a dozen racing there and haven't really sold any repair parts!! [X(] (Trust me... they were selling repair parts for every other electric and nitro vehicle imaginable when I was there with dozens of racers standing 2-deep at the counter between heats to buy parts!)

The owner DID say he'd had 2 or 3 LST owners who said they'd stripped the gears in the starter-drive and just used their electric drill now but he reiterated they simply weren't seeing LST's breaking ANYTHIN![8D]

Perhaps I've also been lucky- after about 10 tanks of WOT bashing and tearing around the yard, dirt and street including a couple of "oops" encounters with fixed objects- not a single broken part of any kind and the truck absolutely WAILS pulling wheelies for 30' to 40' at a time. After the first 2 or 3 tanks full I leaned it out and haven't "babied" it for even a moment.

So all of this is not to discredit or disagree with the fact that Losi clearly has some parts issues- but just to say there are also apparently a lot of owners who are delighted with the truck's durability... including me so far.

In either case, between Losi's responsiveness to the issues- and the promise of even more rugged aftermarket parts in the future- this truck should become one of the strongest, most durable trucks on the market over the next few months.

With a big grin on my face,

Steve
Old 09-07-2004, 10:14 AM

I'll help them with a bit of their inventory.

Can you post or PM some info on your LHS. I'm still on backorder at Nitrohouse.com and my LHS for axles.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM

So all of this is not to discredit or disagree with the fact that Losi clearly has some parts issues- but just to say there are also apparently a lot of owners who are delighted with the truck's durability... including me so far.
im a happy owner!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:25 PM

just to add note my club has 5 lst's and only mine has benn flawlwess minus the cheesy starter imploding. 4 trucks blew diff cases with general use. 3 had factory tranny problems and we have one clutch spring issue. no broken axles or wheel hexes. and mine does alot of serious off road work. they run outstanding its really an awsome truck if you can keep one together.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 PM

i argee we must discuss driveing skill if you break 8-10 axles or 12 clutch springs i think its more with the driver . we have 5 lst's and have experienced many problems . the newest truck being the worst. mine was first and i beat the living crap out of it . very hard . never broke a thing exept the starter. 4 trucks have had diff case cracks from jumping . the biggest problem with these trucks is the gear cover!!!! i can't count the gears weve bought from stones getting in there. i don't care how much it costs when it comes out , its a priority in my book. butttt i would recomend this truck to anyone . this is the best truck ive ever owned and more of our friend are going to buy them based on there performance against the usual trucks . don't waste your time with anything else. buy a lst for thelittle headaches you get its a lot of fun to own.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:53 PM

As far as axles. I've broken axles just driving on rough terrain. Some on small jumps. Clutch springs don't matter about driving style. They either work or they don't. Losi is already aware of the problems. I'm using Mugen 1.0 springs and I haven't broken them yet. The improved clutch springs, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe are out or will be soon. They are still working on the axle problem. The diff cases I tend to agree with some others that it's more about brakes than jumping. I've got the aluminum cases now. Hopefully that takes care of it.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 PM

i argee we must discuss driveing skill if you break 8-10 axles or 12 clutch springs i think its more with the driver .
wow do you really believe that? thats like saying 90% of LST owners dont know how to drive.. i know jefx hasnt had alot of problems (that wasnt self inflected) but that is a rare case..and im glad he is enjoying his truck, BUT it is a KNOWN fact that the axles and clutch springs are a factory problem.. losi even admits this!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:04 PM

Just put on a better engine and I'll be glad to fix everything else myself. This stocker is a dog.

I would say that's one of the more "serious" problems Losi needs to address. Some people get good engines, some people get bad engines, yet they are all written off as good to Losi/Horizon.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ronz

Interesting I havent had any of those problems????

The things that have broken are the following:
- engine mount screw head
- tranny Output Shaft snapped in half
- shock shaft snapped

Axles, cvds, clutch springs, and diffs all holding up strong.

So far so good
well I had posted earlier in august about my few broken parts

I have only bent a shaft since then. I was running in a dash for cash yesterday
and my tranny output shaft snapped again. Thats 2 now

They keep breaking right where the pin goes through it

Oh yeah I also bought a new shock shaft and it was not a finished part. The shaft was not threaded. I had to buy another one
Old 10-03-2004, 12:00 PM

I have 3 of these baby's!! - They are AWESOME! what have I broke so far.....

7 shock shafts
3 axle's
4 CVD pins
2 tie rods
5 front diff cases
1 rear diff case
2 sets of crown and pinion gears
3 upper a arms
2 lower a arms
5 plastic starter gears
4 absolutely mutilated bodies

and I drive these HAAAARRRRD - I just finished running an excavator for 9 hours to clear an acre of land for a track that is very tough on these trucks. The LST is the best truck on the market - We have 2 Revo's - one we run - sucks compared to the sheer brute of the LST and one that is still in the box
Old 10-03-2004, 07:24 PM

oh man. i beat those revo's like they stole something!!! they handle good and all but not as good as me. and there way out classed in power. they still have tose 2055 servos for steering. cheezy.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:49 PM

Pulled my diffs out for the first time tonight, front diff case is cracked, back is fine. I think it's definitely safe to say the stock/plastic diff cases are worthless as I wouldn't consider the abuse I've put mine through so far to be even close to extreme. For those of you that have had your LST for awhile and not cracked a diff case, pull them out. I bet a good chunk of you may be running with a cracked one. The area that cracked on mine would be very hard to see while installed in the truck, especially if you didn't know what to look for. Spinning the wheels etc. didn't reveal the problem either.

Here's my list so far:

1 cracked diff case - not sure what or when this happened
1 broken lower A-Arm - bad landing
1 bent shock shaft - collided with 8" thick pole in the air at about 15 MPH

Guess I finally get to chat with Bill at Losi tomorrow (diff cases being the subject).
Old 10-04-2004, 04:43 AM

im still waiting for my diffs. 2 weeks now. im supposed to be getting a bunch of stuff from him. im calling today.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:14 AM

the only problems i have had is the washer issue with the engine (was all sorted out 100% very quickly so i cant complain) and my one-way started slipping, but that was easily fixed, so so far this truck has been almost perfect! i couldnt ask for more.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 AM

I had a throttle servo go bad, I only have about 8 tanks through so far.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:45 AM

About this washer issue, I really dont like the idea of taking apart my BRAND NEW lst when I get it... Is it really something I need to do- take out this washer??
Old 10-04-2004, 10:50 AM

yes, it is definatly needed. if not, there is a high chance the engine will break, you will then have the hassle of posting off to get repaired, possible several weeks of down-time and you will need to do break in again.

overall it is VERY easy to do. basically you take the engine out (make sure you have GOOD ball hex drivers and it shouldnt be too hard). then take the rotostart off the back of the engine then take the backplate off. locate the washe on the end of the con-rod. thake if off, and re-assemble.

if you have any problems i would be happy to help as im sure would others. overally definatly worth doing, just make sure your work areas is clean so you dont get any foreign objects inside the engine.

any questions just ask

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.