Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Mach 26 seized???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:34 PM
One Kool Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mach 26 seized???

Hello all, I just purchased an LST yesterday, been waiting a few weeks because it was on back order. Well today when I got out of work I started setting up the radio and doing all the preliminary stuff that needs to be done with a new rc. I wanted to mark bottom dead center on the flywheel so when I shut it off I can put it there. So I removed the glow plug and went to turn the flywheel by hand and could not budge it. I thought maybe because it was brand new the piston and sleeve was a tight fit, so I put my glow pug back in and loosened it just a little for the first start up. Took the truck outside and hooked up the spin start and it was completely locked up. I took the glow plug completely out and tried again, still no good. Has anyone else had this problem. I read all about the washer issue and metal shavings from the factory but Ive never saw a post on a seized motor from the factory. I pulled the head off to make sure there wasnt anything between the piston and the head and there was nothing. I was going to pull the backplate off to inspect in there but I said you know what I just paid $600.00 for this truck and Im taking it back to the lhs to let them look at it. So it looks like Im going to have a pretty truck sitting in my garage with no motor in it for a week or so if it indeed needs to be sent back to Horizon. This really sucks[&o]
Old 09-01-2004, 07:38 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Mach 26 seized???

Hey, i was helping another user online with that same problem. After i walked him thru the entire dis-assembly of the engine, we then looked at the flywheel. Turns out there was a defect on the engine case, that was hitting the flywheel. I believe he solved it by grinding that down. The quality of the Mach .26 is poor at best. The engine never should have been put on this truck. A quick glance inside the case reveals some of the shabbiest machine work i've ever seen in an engine. It is a very strong engine though.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:31 PM
speed lives
My Feedback: (1)

Yea, that sounds exactly like my problem witch thermal stated. If so just grind it down with a dremal.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 AM
One Kool Cat

You guys were right. Today I took it to my friend at the lhs and he disassembled the whole engine. Ive never actually taken one completely apart before, theres really not all that much to it. Anyway when he took the flywheel off there was a burr on the top and even bigger burr on the bottom of the engine case from the casting process. So he grinded it down with the dremel and everything is spinning freely. I feel so much better now I dont have to send the engine back and wait at least a week to get this thing going. We started it up and putted it around for 1/2 tank just to make sure everything else was good. Tomorrow I will finish the break in. Well thanks again guys.[sm=wink.gif]
Old 09-03-2004, 12:41 AM
erh110

I'm glad you got it going but it's ridiculous that you had to tear down the engine and modify it brand new, right out of the box. Come on Losi, you've got to get some better QC going on!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:00 PM
One Kool Cat

Yeah it kinda sucked that I had to do all that with a brand new truck. But from what Ive read on here things couldve been much worse. Well I got about 10 tanks through it today and this thing boogies. I thought my brothers savage was fast when he first got it. But when the lst hit second gear for the first time I was in awe. Tomorrow I should be able to take it out and get it tuned for performance. I cant wait