Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

% Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
gora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default % Fuel

Hi

new UK lst owner here, still in the box , havent tested it yet, just a quick question, my lhs has given me 16% fuel to run with the lst, will this be ok?

i will keep you posted on the progress with the lst as soon as i have it out the box.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:24 PM
creyc

Default RE: % Fuel

It should be okay but if you didn't open it yet I would try exchanging for 20% nitro. Even at 20% mine has no low end torque so I think running a lower content would perform even worse. Losi recommends running 20% and it's not wise to change fuels after breaking in on one fuel type.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 PM
bige4375

It should be OK, but I would get 20% like creyc said. I run 20% trinity monter HP and have all the power I need.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:24 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

run o'donnell 30% i run it amazing low end torque and high speed
Old 09-17-2004, 01:48 PM
gora

hi thanks for replys guys

well went to lhs and they rekon 16% should be absolutley perfect, i told tham that in the manual its says 20%....

they ended up giving me a bottle of 25%.....ive read that most users are running between 20 - 30 %

will 25% be ok???

also havent had a chance to take my lst out for a run yet..

got my self the flat battery pack which you fit under the car, how long should this type of battery last on a full charge?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
binaryterror

25% is the best in my opinion.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:03 PM
creyc

Yep, 25% will do.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:17 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
What 25% nitro is it what i mean is who makes it i.e Tornado or Blue thunder.

All the best

Gareth
Old 09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
gora

the fuel is model technics, supplied by model sport uk.

also, before running i want to make sure the factory settings are correct on the low speed and high speed, ive followed the manual settings, the stock settings seemed to be a few turns out on each,

also when i closed the needles i tightened them till they felt tight, but i didnt want to overtighten them,

i hope i havent messed any of the settings up....what u think guys...?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:47 PM
gora

also should high speed be 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 turns out?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:19 PM
creyc

I always recheck my needle settings from the factory to begin with. I've seen these trucks preset with extremely lean needles which is very bad for break in. As for answering your question, set it to 3.5 turns out from lightly closed. It's likely it'll be a bit too rich and you'll have to turn it in to get it to run well even during breakin.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:47 AM
Hezrou

Gora I will also be using that fuel for my LST(when rain stops that is) and it should be fine. I use it in my T-Maxx which has a Picco .21 in it.

If you dont mind me asking How much did you pay for your LST? I have seen some widely varying prices for UK
Old 09-18-2004, 06:06 AM
gora

i paid 499.00, for car and radio, i also got glow plug, charger, fuel , batteries, fail safe, and 5 battery pack for the lst, all came to 580.00

another quick question..

lhs gave me a nikko 3 way charger, and siad this should work for the handset if i put in rechargeable batteries in. they supplied me with 8, i put the batteries into the handset, and swithced on before charging, powered on, displaying a low battery warning, i then plugged in the nikko adapter into the handset and left it to charge for approx 8 hrs, now the unit is not switching on at all, i tried putting in normal aa batteries and it works fiine.

so im thinkin, the batteries are faulty or the adapter type is wrong, adapter = NIKKO F626 (3 WAY)

do i need some special type of adapter for the handset?

the handset is the normal stock one you get with the car.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:05 AM
oatmealman
Banned

i'm gonna switch to 35% 30% ain't enough for me anymore
Old 09-18-2004, 04:58 PM
kevinb456

hey, nice to see some people in the UK with LST's, i just got mine a few days ago, have finished break-in and im gonna start tuning it for performance. im at 3 1/4 on the HSN and 2 on the LSN at the moment. can anyone whos tuned their engine already, tell me roughly what lsn they are running at?

i paid £480 for my LST, i got it from modelsport uk, i also got some other stuff aswell just like gora. and i received it at 9:30am on the day of realease - how good is that!!

i just bought the exact same charger, but ive now realised that my exisitng charger will work fine (doh) so im gonna send the nikko one back. gora, the problem with the handset and the nikko charger is that the handset has the opposite polarity to most. on the charging jack connector thing, the centre is positive, the outside is negative, but on the handset it is the opposite way round (god knows why!). so you will either need to charge your batteries in another handset, or with another charger.

im using 25% o'donnels fuel, working fine so far. i would definatly suggest either 20% or 25%, 16% would obviously work and be fine, but not the best performance. also how are u guys finding the stock air filter? would a motor savers filter be better? (both in stopping dirt and in amount of airflow).

my LST is #3350 whats yours? (sticker on the side of the reciever box).
Old 09-18-2004, 05:53 PM
gora

not too sure what my model is,

havent yet got round to breaking in the engine, can anyone suggest the best way?..will be doing this tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:12 PM
kevinb456

i would suggest - 1 tank of idle, then 1 or 2 tank(s) of low speeds, then 1 or 2 tank(s) of mid-speeds, then 1 or 2 tank(s) of 'blipping' the throttle so full throttle for short periods, then last tank start to lean out and go full throttle and tune for performance. for the ones marked 1 or 2, i only did 1, but down the personal preferance and how much of a 'safety margin' you want.

thats how i did mine, im now leaning it out and trying to get the best performance.

having never had a decent radio (always the basic ones that come with rtr's) this one has got loads of feature that i dont know how i ever lived without. take some time to set up the radio how you want it. the throttle deadband function is very usefull, as is EPA and sub-trim.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:48 PM
losiman4

ORIGINAL: creyc

I always recheck my needle settings from the factory to begin with. I've seen these trucks preset with extremely lean needles which is very bad for break in. As for answering your question, set it to 3.5 turns out from lightly closed. It's likely it'll be a bit too rich and you'll have to turn it in to get it to run well even during breakin.

this sounds like an idiotic question, but i always confuse myself when setting needles because of the turns. is it suppose to be like 180* or a full 360*. i cant really explain this better, but i always get confused.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:38 PM
fantomas
My Feedback: (3)

think of the needle's as a clock.. the the way your thinking is 3.5 turns is 3-360 and a 180..
Old 09-18-2004, 11:09 PM
losiman4

so its a full 360* turn? cause i remeber when i was tuining something not related to r/c, a full turn was eaither too rich or too lean. i made a pic just to make sure, the red and green dots are start and finish, and the way the arrows are pointing, the fule would be getting leaner.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2004, 06:31 AM
gora

as far as i know a full turn is a complete 360.

whats the best type of battery pack to put into the car, one that will last ages?

i dont like the idea that after 4-5 tanks i will have to put the truck away for 24 hrs while batteries recharge,

at present i have something called :

FAST PACK 1100 (6V 1100AH).....havent yet used the car to tell how good these batteries are
Old 09-19-2004, 09:57 AM
kevinb456

yeah a full turn is 360degress. so 3.5 turns is a total of 1260 degress counter-clockwise from closed.

i find that too complicated though thinking in degress, i just think of the number of turns. imagine you are just turning a regular screw, one turn is well just that, one turn. in the lst manual is says 2.5 for the LSN but in the actual engine manual it says 2, i used 2 for break in and i suggest you do aswell. when i had it at 2.5 i just couldnt accelerate at all, the car just bogged down and stalled.

ive finished break-in, ive finished tuning the HSN and im half way through tuning the LSN. i can just about lift the front end up in high gear, so hopefully i should be able to pull wheelies in high gear once ive fully tuned the LSN.

gora, where abouts do u live? im in york. ive got the exact same battery as that (FAST PACK 1100) and nothing wrong with it so far, but i cant tell you how long it lasts as i have only used it for 1 tank. you need a JR switch with charge jack if you havnt got one already, you will need to cut the plugs a bit with a hobby knife or similar to make them fit, but works great (if you havnt done this already).
Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 AM
gora

first problem.......was definaltey not expected!!!

was breaking in the engine, following all instructions, let the first tank idle, second tank, giving very slow blips on the throttle, was on the 3rd tank....giving slightly more...there was still half a tank of fuel in the car , the car revved up quite a bit, and didnt move, blew out quite a bit of smoke,

stopped the engine....restarted it....now im giving throttle and nothing is moving, no turn in the wheels at all.!!!!

hsn and lsn are at factory settings!

please advise urgently, didnt expect my £500 machine to mess up so soon!!!!!

engine starts fine - throttle works fine - no movement at all in the wheels!
Old 09-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Hezrou

didn't you read the problems people have been having with these before you bought it? I realised that buying this new product may have come with some problems and thought it was worth the risk. Mine broke before i even got it started (not the car but still part of the package) as the plastic cog in the starter has stripped. Luckily i had my trusty DeWalt with me so have got half a tank through her.

Sorry I cant help with your problem and i'm sorry to hear you've had it. The charger you need should be for a JR radio your LHS should have known this.

All that said i'm still smiling like a cheshire cat. Mine is #3377
Old 09-19-2004, 12:09 PM
mini ripper

Hi,
Adjust your throttle trim some and see if that works and if not adjust the idle on the engine thats the little black screw on the carb.
I have had this with other models with reverse if it stuck beetween foward and reverse with ther being no load at all on the enginer it revs like crazey

Its running in you see the engine may have been very tight and is starting to free off some

All the best

Gareth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.