Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Plasti-Dip

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plasti-Dip

Someone PM'd me with questions about Plasti-Dip and pictures of it on the servos. I figured since it's winter-time, many people might be wondering about how to water-proof their electronics so that they can bash in the snow, so I'm posting the pics here.

Since I didn't take pictures of the servos while I was Plasti-Dipping them, all I can do is show pictures of what it looks like in the truck. You can't really tell it's even there, except for the fact that the original JR sticker has been covered and the printing is no longer visible.

Here's a pic of the plastic fork that I used to stir the stuff up with before I dipped the servos in. You can see how thin it dries, by the visible "ribs" on the fork handle. Once dry, it's hardly noticible, except that it's black.

Another pic of the fork.

And here's the stuff. It's available in the dip-can (shown) and aerosol spray. I got it at the Harbor Freight store by my house. Harbor Freight also has a web site if you don't have a local store. I'd imagine that most hardware/home-improvement stores would also carry it.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plasti-Dip

thanks Jefx.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 PM

Jefx,

going to do thid to my truck, just wondering what you do arround the servo horns? were do you cut back to so that they still move freeley?

many thanks

Matt
Old 12-13-2004, 02:49 PM

Tnks where can I get some from?

is there a website?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Mattcity

Jefx,

going to do thid to my truck, just wondering what you do arround the servo horns? were do you cut back to so that they still move freeley?

many thanks

Matt

I dipped the whole servo in the stuff. Remove the servos, remove the horns, and hold the servo by the wire. Then just slowly dip it in until the whole servo is submerged and also about 1 inch of the wire, and slowly pull it back out. The Plasti-dip will drip all over as the excess falls of the servo, so you'll need to put some paper under the servos. I hung the servos off the edge of my work table and taped the wire to the top of the table, so that they could hang and dry. I put newspaper on the floor to catch the drippings. It takes 4 hours to fully dry, but I left them overnight. After they are dry, you can take an exacto knife and cut around the base of the servo splines and just peel the plasti-dip off so that you can get the horn back on.

The plasti-dip is very thick, kinda like heavy diff oil, so you don't have to worry about it seeping into the servos internals. I also sealed the holes in the bottom of the radio box with plasti-dip, for super water-proofing of all the electronics.

Tnks where can I get some from?

is there a website?
Like I mentioned above, you can get it at Harbor Freight, and yes they have a web site but I don't know it off-hand. I'm sure it's like harborfreight.com or something. You can probably also find it at Home Depot type places.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:14 PM

That stuff looks amazing, whoever invented that needs an award. i bet it's not available in the uk
Old 12-13-2004, 04:23 PM

no distributors apart from USA and cannada. it is available on ebay tho. I might have to get me some of that!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:36 PM

Thanks Jefx, deffinatly going to do this., #

Bung,

try Frost auto restorers in Oldham area i think they sell it i am in the area on business on wednesday and am calling into get some but you can order over the web.

[link=http://www.frost.co.uk/]Frost[/link]

found them. They do have sock.

cheers

Matt
Old 12-13-2004, 06:13 PM

If it snowed here I would be off to Harbor Frieght right now!! We have a store here and I bought a nice selection of muti-color and size zips ties there. Next time I'm in I will get the dip and do my steering servos.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Sao

Hey Bugleiao

If you decide to get some plastidip stateside perhaps we can club together and save on some shipping costs?

Scratch that didnt see the link to the place in oldham shame it's spray on stuff there though, no my mistake again there is the dip stuff available as well.

Praise be to whoever provided that link
Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM

It looks like it comes in blue and clear also. [link=http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp]plasti at Harbor for $6.99[/link]
Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: sk8ingsailor

It looks like it comes in blue and clear also. [link=http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp]plasti at Harbor for $6.99[/link]
I actually wanted blue, but the Harbor Freight by my house only had it in black, red, and clear.