Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Why does the diff case break anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:38 PM
cpirao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does the diff case break anyway?

Can anyone explain the actual underlying cause or flaw that causes the diff case to break -- in detail

Thx
Old 12-22-2004, 02:46 PM
XrayRacer

Default RE: Why does the diff case break anyway?

Not strong enough?
Old 12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LSTCrAzY

Not strong enough?

Ditto[8D].

They're just underengineered for the weight and power of the LST. I've seen pictures of breakage in several different places on the diff cases, so it's not just a certain weak area, the whole thing is just too weak.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:48 PM
rff105

I have my Alum diff cases on order and a read in an earlier thread and in the manual about running silicone oil in the diffs. How does the oil change how the diff will preform over stock? What will difference be for 25 vs 50 wt in performance? What kind of oil is it, (post link) not shock oil? What weight works best? Thanks for any info you can provide just trying to make a decision before I replace the plastic ones.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:26 PM
rcaddict83

its diff oil, and they usually start at 10,000 weight and above. It gives the car a more of a limited slip feel to it. 10K would be fine in both front and rear.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:29 PM
motorpsycho502

The advantage of running diff oil is to minimize the limited slip aspect, (like when one wheel is in the air and that is the only wheel spinning) oil in the diff makes it apply power to the wheels still touching the ground as well as the one in the air, you could make it nearly posi (locked) by running stiffer oil but then the truck would only go straight and not turn very well. so you want something in the middle of locked and full slip. I run about 100,000 weight in both the front and back and it works quite well, you can power slide around corners nicely but still turns when you want it to. It should only take about an hour and a half to do both ends of the truck
Old 12-22-2004, 11:38 PM
rokonwilly

gobs of torque and nitro horspower. Jumps and brakes on landings are diff. death sentences
Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
ThermalRD

My theory is a flawed brake design. Have you ever driven your truck, and noticed that occasionally the brakes will bite? just at certain angles? I've seen many broken front diff cases, and many main tranny shafts busted. I broke my tranny shaft tonight while running at my local track. I believe the brakes instantly stopping the shaft, while moving is causing severe stress on the diff cases, and tranny shaft. Now to find a remedy...

ORIGINAL: cpirao

Can anyone explain the actual underlying cause or flaw that causes the diff case to break -- in detail

Thx
Old 12-23-2004, 02:23 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: motorpsycho502

It should only take about an hour and a half to do both ends of the truck

Hour and a half? We are talking about the LST right? You can have both diffs pulled out of the LST in under 5 minutes, have then apart in another 2 minutes, filled with oil and reassembled in 3 minutes, and reinstalled in another 5 minutes. If you've had the LST apart before, then you could fill the diffs in about 15 minutes.