Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

is it worth it to change to diff fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Big C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth it to change to diff fluid?

Hi guys, just got my LST a week ago, and will be racing on the local dirt track soon. Plenty of jumps, turns, etc. I was wondering if there is a noticable difference if I cleaned the grease out of the diff's and went with oil. I know the answer will probable be yes, but I was wondering how much of a difference it will make? THanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
agge

Default RE: is it worth it to change to diff fluid?

I went 50k in the rear - 30k in the front.. I noticed a huge increase in traction. I'm considering going 80/50 right now.. I'd like to lock up my back end a little more personally and the front still seems to slip more than I'd like.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:30 AM
LstRacer76

depends on what kind of track you run on and how much of a positive traction feel you want most people run 50/50
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
JaysonR

I usually see people putting a lighter fluid in the front, and thicker in the back. I'm usually on pavement, what can I expect if I put 50 in the front and back? Will it benefit more if I put a slightly thinner oil in the front?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: JaysonR

I usually see people putting a lighter fluid in the front, and thicker in the back. I'm usually on pavement, what can I expect if I put 50 in the front and back? Will it benefit more if I put a slightly thinner oil in the front?
I think 50/50 would be good for runing on the Street,
I run on the Street Alot and the Sway Bars Help out alot too, I don't flip it to much Since i put the sway bars on.(Bigger Bars F/R)
Old 04-19-2005, 03:49 PM
bosfan

i'm also always on pavement and have been looking for the right setup you think 50/50 i wil have to give that a try.
i really don't know what thicker or thinner diff oil does and how it helps could you please explain.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:00 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: bosfan

i'm also always on pavement and have been looking for the right setup you think 50/50 i wil have to give that a try.
i really don't know what thicker or thinner diff oil does and how it helps could you please explain.
The Thicker the Oil, The More Both Wheels will Spin at the Same Speed Kinda like pos tracksion, With thiner Oil it will still let the Wheels spin at different Speeds As in when your turning the out side wheel in going slower than the in side.
So the Thicker Oil the more it Locks up.
I suck at trying to write this but maybe that will help a bit? Or someone Can tell you better than I.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:14 PM
bosfan

sorry but still don't fully understand, do you want your wheels to spin at different speeds or do you want them to spin at the same speed? i know dirt and street are different but i'm just talking about street.
and why do you suggest 50/50? i'm sorry for all the questions i'm just trying to understand this
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
icenutz

If you put heavier in the front you will turn better going into a turn. If you put heavier fluid in the rear you will turn better out of a turn.

I put 50 in front and 30 in rear. An improvement over just grease. But, I do have other upgrades that could of contributed so I can not credit it all to the diff oil.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:17 PM
bosfan

thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 PM
bigtrucklst

I strickly bash on my LST and am running in grass and dirt mainly. In the front I have 50k and the rear has 300k and it is just knarly now. 300k is the near equivelent of peanut butter. I almost had to push it in to the diff. I use regular lithiam grease on the ring and pinion.