Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

gearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:25 PM
LoSiSuPeRtRuCk
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing

just making sure i have this right, small bell/big spur=more top speed? and large bell/small spur= more low end?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: gearing

Other way around. Small pinion with large spur= more low end. Large pinion with small spur= more top speed.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Black_Ghost_FN

Unless you had a motor with unlimited power, then higher gearing would excellerate faster am I right?

Well I mean if the motor reached the same RPMs at the same speed either way you gear it.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:56 AM
kevinb456

it depends what you mean by higher gearing. TECHNICALLY i think higher gearing makes acceleration faster. but common sense tell me higher gearings makes it slower acceleration (like trying to accelerate from dead stop in gear 4 in a car or something).

smaller pinion and bigger spur means faster acceleration but slower top speed and visaversa
Old 05-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Sgt. Canada

taller gearing means more acceleration, even thought it sounds like it means more top-end (and most people use it the wrong way)

The word taller means difference in numbers. if you had a pinion with 10 teeth and a spur with 60, the ratio would be 1:6. But if you had a pinion with 20 teeth and a spur with 60, the ratio would be 1:3. So the taller one is the first one, 1:6, because the numbers are farther apart on a number line. And a ratio of 1:6 has (theoretically) twice the acceleration and half the top speed.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:11 PM
kevinb456

yeah thats what i meant to say - it sounds the opposite to what it really is
Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 PM
LoSiSuPeRtRuCk
My Feedback: (-1)

is there some type of chart that explains your ratio for the gearing you have likewhen you say 10 pinion and 60 spur =1:6 . i just wanna fully understand what im doing. dont know much about gearing.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:46 AM
Sgt. Canada

I don't know about a chart, but there probably is one somewhere. All you do is set up the ratio of teeth 10:60 - 10 tooth pinion, 60 tooth spur, then you divide teh smaller # by itself and the bigger # by the smaller # and you get 1:6. with a ratio of 24:78, you divide the smaller # by 23, then the bigger # by 23 and you get 1:1.25

Or some people divide the numbers so you get a ratio with all whole numbers. so 24:78 would be 4:13. In this case I found the smallest number that goes into both 24 and 78, which is 6, and I divided both numbers by 6.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:37 AM
FTWOTHTB

Hello Sgt Canada...Just looking over the gearing talk here. In my old car club days when someone ran a 4:11 rear end gear he would be able to accelerate quicker but have slower top end than someone with a say 3:78 rear (slower acceleration,more top speed). Any way my take is in RC racing what is important is better acceleration than top speed. All the slowing and speeding up at a track where there usually there are not real long straight aways would call for quick accel and slowing rather than a long sustained speed run. DBM [8D][8D]