Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

plastic dippin servos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:46 PM
brandon17617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic dippin servos?

has anyone ever dipped servos in a plastic solution to make them waterproof? where do i get the stuff? do i dip the entire thing in the solution, including the horn and cord? any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: plastic dippin servos?

ORIGINAL: brandon17617

has anyone ever dipped servos in a plastic solution to make them waterproof? where do i get the stuff? do i dip the entire thing in the solution, including the horn and cord? any help is much appreciated.
Theres a Search at the Top of the Page for a Reason,
But you can find Plastic Dip at Most Auto or Hardwear Stores,And ya Dip the whole servo in and hang it to Dry,Then Cut it Off the Parts that ya Don't want it On, its very easy.
Heres a link to some more info, http://www.onesixthcollectors.co.uk/dip.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79812.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	278962  
Old 06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
proxpilot
My Feedback: (3)

i used this stuff called Plasti-Dip works great. prolly get it at Home Depot or Lowes i would assume i got mine at a local store called Harbor Frieght.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:44 PM
pointblank

Did you thin the dip? how many coats? Mine turned out terrible, big blobs (especially under the screw mounts), and really uneven. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: pointblank

Did you thin the dip? how many coats? Mine turned out terrible, big blobs (especially under the screw mounts), and really uneven. Thanks.
I Stirred it with an old Drill bit and the Drill for 5 mins and It went on O K, If ya Look Close its not 100% smooth But so long as it Keeps the Water Out, Who Cares?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:18 AM
pointblank

True that Jason...good enough for government work...I'll give it a shot tomorrow with the drill.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
RCtruckRacer

This was something I have been wondering about... Aren't the servo's water resistant? I know that they are not waterproof so I just put some shoe goo around where the wires run in. I don't try to run in wet areas, but I wanted some extra protection for the z650's I put in mine. I know that these servo's (even the stock 590's) are used in boating applications, so that is why I was wondering if they were somewhat water-resistant to begin with. I checked out JR's website, but didn't find much info. Anyone ever taken one apart? Is there a seal/gasket around the seam?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

ORIGINAL: lstRacerX

This was something I have been wondering about... Aren't the servo's water resistant? I know that they are not waterproof so I just put some shoe goo around where the wires run in. I don't try to run in wet areas, but I wanted some extra protection for the z650's I put in mine. I know that these servo's (even the stock 590's) are used in boating applications, so that is why I was wondering if they were somewhat water-resistant to begin with. I checked out JR's website, but didn't find much info. Anyone ever taken one apart? Is there a seal/gasket around the seam?
The JRs seem to be Pretty Good about getting a LITTLE Wet,I Dipped them so I have No Worries, And I can Spray my Truck off with the Power Washer and If its Wet out I can Still Drive,(If I want to.)
Old 06-02-2005, 05:54 PM
brandon17617

when u dip em in that plastic stuff do u have to scrape it out of all the little notches on the servo horn? or do u cover that up? i know u put a screw in the cnter like u would to mount a servo saver. i am using hitec servos in my lst are they pretty h2o resistant?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 PM
proxpilot

after the dip has dried you can take a razor around the bottom of the servo gear and peel of the dip.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 PM
pointblank

My first run turned out really crappy. Tons of blobs and thick spots. So I removed the coat, then thinned the dip out with some Goofoff (about 2 tablespoons) solvent, stirred it for about 5 minutes then dipped them. The first coat was thin with minimal blobs, the second coat is drying now and is almost done...Looks great. Nice tip Jason...I wonder how much Plasti-dip sales are up this month?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 PM
brandon17617

i think im gonna go buy some of that stuff and test it on something i dont care about to see if im any good. then i will try it on servos
Old 06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
losi-uk

Does anybody know where this can be bought in the UK?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:09 PM
JustinWZP

I do it to ALL of my servos...........even on my buggies. It's great stuff........when I'm done for the day I just hit it with a hose and then the air compressor, then WD-40 and the compressor again and my RC's always come out looking new and always function properly.

Here's a shot of my Airtronics 94358's and 94357 after being dipped:

Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM
JustinWZP

Here's another one:
Old 06-03-2005, 05:01 PM
proxpilot

do a search on yahoo or google maybe you can order it online er something and have it shipped hell even try ebay.
ORIGINAL: losi-uk

Does anybody know where this can be bought in the UK?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:21 PM
chrisuk

Try this site if it works

[link]http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=22[/link]
Old 06-03-2005, 06:09 PM
brandon17617

i see u have the carbon fiber chassis do u think it was worth it? the reason i ask is that i am considering buyin one and would like the opinion of someone that has the carbon fiber chassis. did it boost performance? is strong enough?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:41 PM
JustinWZP

Yes. Everything is perfect with this carbon fiber setup. Lighter, better looking and extremely durable. Everyone seems to ask the same question and it's getting kind of annoying answering..........that's the only downside. You'll see once you get the plates installed.......everyone seems to have a question about them. I don't mind but just wait and you'll see what I mean.

THEY'RE GREAT
Old 06-03-2005, 11:36 PM
brandon17617

hey thx for the feedback now allow me to give u a little advice GET THE RPM ARMS THEY ARE AWESOME and easy to install!!!! your truck looks great. i think i might order that chassis i dunno if i should go silver or black. hmm. when u did the conversion how long did it take u to complete? did u just take one component after another and bolt it on or did u tear the whole truck down then rebuild on different chassis? i have never built my lst from scratch yet i converted a electric car from rtr to graphite but that was simple.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:43 AM
JustinWZP

Here you go: [link=http://www.lstcentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=446&highlight=]Link to another post[/link]

Time is flying........that was three months ago.

I'd go to those RPM arms if I had any trouble with the stockers.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:47 AM
MrBillUp

JustinWZP, can you put a real close up pic of your dipped servo's please. They certainly look the cleanest and best applied I've seen so far!

Can anyone comment on the Balloon method of doing your servos?? Is it easier than dipping? Is it more or less the same water resistance? Has anyone any pics of the Balloon method already done??

Thank's Guys!!
Old 06-04-2005, 04:14 PM
losi-uk

Thanks for the link I will give it a try
Old 06-05-2005, 12:53 AM
JustinWZP

My digital camera is terrible and I can't get any good shots. The zoom is messed up or something. I can zoom but it is WAY out of focus. I didn't do anything special I just bought the plasti-dip made by Loctite and dipped all my servos and batteries in one night. I bought the dip from [link=http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1613502777&ccitem=]HERE[/link]
Old 06-05-2005, 11:18 AM
MrBillUp

Thank's for that Justin. I see that they ship to the UK as well so I will be getting some sent over. I very much like Locktite products so will go with this.