Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

four-stroke for lst?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:12 PM
fastfreddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default four-stroke for lst?

anyone have an opinion why this would or wouldn't be a feasible option?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: four-stroke for lst?

In order to get the same amount of power, the 4 stroke would need to be MUCH larger. Most Weed wacker engines produce around 1hp, but significantly more torque than a Nitro engine. Bigger engine=more weight. Search for posts relating to fitting a weedwacker engine in a T-maxx by Dr. Honda. He did it, but he had to fabricate several items. If you can do the fabricating, maybe you could pull it off. The question is why? It might be cheaper and would be much easier to go to 1/4 scale trucks or 1/5 scale like the Nitro Hammer Buggy - it has a weedwacker engine.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Nitronutt

In order to get the same amount of power, the 4 stroke would need to be MUCH larger. Most Weed wacker engines produce around 1hp, but significantly more torque than a Nitro engine. Bigger engine=more weight. Search for posts relating to fitting a weedwacker engine in a T-maxx by Dr. Honda. He did it, but he had to fabricate several items. If you can do the fabricating, maybe you could pull it off. The question is why? It might be cheaper and would be much easier to go to 1/4 scale trucks or 1/5 scale like the Nitro Hammer Buggy - it has a weedwacker engine.
a 23cc weed wacker engine produces around 2.5HP stock with a big bore kit stepping it to 27cc it'll produce around 3.5-4HP. This is with stock carburator and exhaust and zero porting. Add a tuned pipe, better carburator and do some porting you can easily hit 6+ HP and isn't a Nitro around as durable or with the power and torque of a gaser. The drive trains of Nitro's won't handle a gas engine. Dr Honda's TMaxx is majorly modified for it.

OS makes a 4 stroke engine whether it'd fit or not who knows. Also another option is trying to fit a Airplane 4 stroke into it....cooling it however will be a issue.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: badz

a 23cc weed wacker engine produces around 2.5HP stock with a big bore kit stepping it to 27cc it'll produce around 3.5-4HP. This is with stock carburator and exhaust and zero porting. Add a tuned pipe, better carburator and do some porting you can easily hit 6+ HP and isn't a Nitro around as durable or with the power and torque of a gaser. The drive trains of Nitro's won't handle a gas engine. Dr Honda's TMaxx is majorly modified for it.

OS makes a 4 stroke engine whether it'd fit or not who knows. Also another option is trying to fit a Airplane 4 stroke into it....cooling it however will be a issue.
I have found 2-stroke weedwacker engines in that power category (2.5hp), but cannot seem to find many 4-stroke ratings. Airplane engines do not make nearly as much HP (or RPM) as car/truck engines of even half the size, so that would probably not be a good avenue to explore.

Like I said, 1/4 or 1/5 Scale if you want gas (Most of those are 2-stroke, though, not 4-stroke).
Old 08-09-2005, 03:50 PM
fastfreddie

i hadn't considered the effects of torque on the driveline or the reduced operating rpms on speed. no way am i gonna 'reinvent the wheel'. my lst is quite capable of breaking itself without my help.
anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:06 AM
OFNAMAN
My Feedback: (3)

I wouldn't even think about putting a 4 stroke in a vehicle unless it is a 1/4 or 1/5 scale. even though i would like to see a nitro engine of that size (Lets say about 12 hp for a 23cc engine).but 4 stroke's lacks the rpm (But have great torque)to be suitable for a 1/10 or 1/8 scale vehicle. Considering that 2 stroke has an average of 35,000 rpm. 4 stroke has an average of 25,000. i use to be into planes but 4 wheels are for me
Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Genesis_twin

Hey guys, I don't have an LST but I thought you might be interested in my project:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3111122/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3111122/tm.htm[/link]
I had to gear it up a lot but it still has plenty of torque. The added weight has broken just about all the plastic parts but with aluminum A arms, steering linkage and chassis braces it is holding up well. The pics are old and I have a new Saito 182 motor in it. Also the Savage shocks were breaking like toothpicks so I went back to stock CEN shocks, I'm waiting for the new CEN aluminum shocks.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 PM
sjm
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: OFNAMAN

I wouldn't even think about putting a 4 stroke in a vehicle unless it is a 1/4 or 1/5 scale. even though i would like to see a nitro engine of that size (Lets say about 12 hp for a 23cc engine).but 4 stroke's lacks the rpm (But have great torque)to be suitable for a 1/10 or 1/8 scale vehicle. Considering that 2 stroke has an average of 35,000 rpm. 4 stroke has an average of 25,000. i use to be into planes but 4 wheels are for me

Of all the 4 strokes I have had, none went much more than 10,000 rpm. The valve train cannot stand much more
Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
bentgear

A 4 stroke in the .70 to .91 range might make for an interesting project. Gearing would be a problem since a 4 stroke in this range is generally limited to 10,000 to 12,000 RPM's max. You would just about have to exchange the pinions and the spur gears with each other to make up for the RPM loss, well not quite, they would wind up being about the same size. You could add a battery driven fan for cooling. The Xtra large tank would power it for several minutes cause fuel consumption might not be that bad. You might need to lay the engine over partially on its side since the 4 stoke is much higher.

Interesting project. Go ahead and build it and let us know how it comes out.

Ed M.