Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

engine low compresion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
zavzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine low compresion

hi how do you tell if your engine has seen the best of its days how much compresion sud the 427 engine have after a gallon of fuell throw it , as ive had a run away to day and i just wont to make sure the engine is sound after it hit a steal fench at full speed

drive like you stoll it and bash to hell and back

LONG LIVE THE LST
Old 01-22-2006, 09:38 PM
SublimeJason
Banned

Default RE: engine low compresion

ORIGINAL: zavzilla

hi how do you tell if your engine has seen the best of its days how much compresion sud the 427 engine have after a gallon of fuell throw it , as ive had a run away to day and i just wont to make sure the engine is sound after it hit a steal fench at full speed

drive like you stoll it and bash to hell and back

LONG LIVE THE LST
Running your truck in to Something Should Not Hurt the Compresion of Your Engine,
( I've Broken the Cooling Fins before & Killed the Glow Plug from Real High Jumps and landing on its lid)
Try to Turn the Engine over by Hand( Turn the Flywheel with your Fingers), If its Hard to Do, Than its Compresion should be Fine...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

I think 2d has had engines with over 10 gallons on them before a rebuild.

1 gallon is just coming to life.

Take good care of it: Tune it everytime that you go out. Use a quality fuel (Like trinity monster hp). Always get to at least 200 degrees and you will see many, many gallons of great running.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:12 PM
zavzilla

THANKS FOR THE REPLAYS BUT I STILL ASK HOW CAN YOU TELL IF THE COMPRESOIN HAS GON AND HOW MUCH COMRESION SHUD YOU HAVE AFTER ONE GALLON OF FUEL. I ASK THIS AS I AM PARNOID WITH THE ENGINE CONDITION.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

I can't recall how many PSI it should be, but tower has the guage: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL388&P=7

Basically, if you properly seal your engine: http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1233
...and it still won't hold a tune.
...and it is running really hot (290 +)
...and radical needle settings don't change the performance much
...and you can't give it full throttle because it will die (Even with as close to perfect as possible tuning)
Then your piston/sleeve is worn out.

Another way to tell is by rotating the flywheel by hand when the engine is warm. You can feel the compression. If there isn't any, or is very little, then your engine may be needing a rebuild.