Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Muggy melting clutches ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
stubby660

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muggy melting clutches ?

It broken in so now I'm tuning to run it. 6 tanks out of break in and my alum (stock) shoes are melted to the boint they broke , the bearings seized and the pins on the flywheel are a nice shade of purple. Now my engine temps have yet to 200 and I have the right mesh in the bell / spur. I replaced the shoes with carbon & a 13 tooth (stock) vented bell gear trying to lower temps and 2 tanks later the shoes are showing severe wear. My XTM 457 with alum shoes in my savage is going on about 1 gallon and holding up better. All I have done is fill the diffs with 10K OFNA spooge to try and kill the tire balloning and get it to hook up in the corners. The only thing I can think of is high bell temps due to the steel on steel drive. I had that problem with my RRP steel drive in the savage, as soon as I went to plastic spurs the problem vanished. The other thing that comes to mind is my track is short so I'm on & off the throttle quite a bit but again my savage runs the same track with no problems ???????

What I'm wondering is there any MUGGY owners out there with this problem or is it me ? I know heat is causing my problem but nothing is binding or dragging and the mesh is where all my other RC's have always run. It's just getting anoying at this point and I have a werks 4 shoe adjustable clutch on the shelf for it but I'm afraid I'll melt that one too.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 PM
travis4380

Default RE: Muggy melting clutches ?

go to lstforums.com andgo to the muggy section there has been a lot of debate about them. You should be able to find an answer there.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
muggy4life

yes i am having the same problem clutch wears fast second one and have two more sitting on the shelve someone call team losi and swear at them .....four tanks clutch is shot ....i guess i should just tool around in the nice soft grass, and dream of back yard bashing...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
2DMaxLST!!

If you are going to use the 3 shoe alum setup just get some 7075 shoes. I am running a Fironi on mine.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Twiztid1

Dunno about anyone else but i think its absolutly ludacris that we are all scratching our heads over these problems with the Muggy Team Losi should be fixing our trucks for free or offer to buy our trucks back for R&D reasons, obviously they should have spent alittle more time designing these things than they did or they wouldnt be breaking so easy. I realize this was a joint effort with horizon hobby but someone should have stepped in from the crew that put it together and said hey this isnt going to work ya know.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:18 AM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Twiztid1

Dunno about anyone else but i think its absolutly ludacris that we are all scratching our heads over these problems with the Muggy Team Losi should be fixing our trucks for free or offer to buy our trucks back for R&D reasons, obviously they should have spent alittle more time designing these things than they did or they wouldnt be breaking so easy. I realize this was a joint effort with horizon hobby but someone should have stepped in from the crew that put it together and said hey this isnt going to work ya know.

if they did that they wouldnt make any money........................see the catch????

i melted mine to after about half a gallon and the funny thing is i was only driveing it on the street...............mine where so bad i coulnt remove the spring from the shoes!!!! i got way better ones with some late engament srpings and a vented fly wheel and no porblems ever since!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 PM
bichipopetts

try werks racing,ive tried from stock lst,mugen,to mgt and all get fried,just installed a set of werks,rulon,and carbon,installed two of each instead of all four of either ,they claim rulon has better grip but wears fast versus carbon last longer but has minimal slippage,tried it with one tank seems ok,i guess il post when i take it racing lets see if it takes the beating
Old 12-09-2006, 08:18 AM
morkendi

so far my setup is holding up well with little wear. I used a hpi flywheel. I also got a ofna shim kit. I put 2 of the small shims on each post before installin shoes. I then used the hpi purple shoes with the little screws that weight them and the gold springs in the kit. I put 1 shim on top of the retention nut before installing the first bearing and CB. I then used a hpi 13 tooth vented cb with another shim on top. Then I used the little black thin in the kit the screw goes in. I ran all day sundy with no sign of wear.

I do have my chassis braced also, but I believe this setup would work without it. I think it cost me $65 for everything, but so far best setup I found.

Hear is short wid of it runnung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mys5LjYrcxg