Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Muggy clutch problems already?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Motorep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muggy clutch problems already?

Well I made it 1 1/2 tanks before I started having clutch issues. I ran one tank easy for break-in and was on my second easy run when the clutch locked up. I hit the motor with the rotary starter and all four wheels were engaged so I knew it wasn't the engine. I then put it on a stand and started the motor and ran it for a minute or so and the clutch disengaged. I was then able to run the tank out with no more problems. I'm guessing the clutch just got too hot and seized for a bit.

Has anyone else had this issue play out the same way? Were your issues more catastrophic in nature? I'm not too impressed at this point as harder usage will only make the issue worse. Does Losi have a solid fix yet??? Thanks,

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 08:39 PM
JSRacer

Default RE: Clutch problems already?

I assume you're talking about the Muggy?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Motorep

Yep!

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 PM
JSRacer

I bet it didn't just seize for a bit, I bet 1 or both of you bearings are disintegrated. There is tons of info about the Muggy clutch problems at LSTforums.com.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:22 PM
geepfreek

Default RE: Muggy clutch problems already?

they have had 2-3 muggys with the same problem at my LHS... horizion just told them give them replacements
Old 12-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Motorep

Replacement clutches or new trucks? If it's going to be a nightmare (as I'm finding out) I'll just return it and move on to another brand. Overall I'm pretty impressed with the rest of the truck but I was turned off to RC a few years back with an RC10GT I couldn't keep motors in. I hope this isn't going the same direction...

Kevin
Old 12-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Motorep

Update: Ran the truck again a few minutes ago. Same thing happened. Everything goes ok for about 5-6 minutes and then the wheels lock up and the truck dies. Put it on the stand and hit it with the rotary starter and run it until the clutch breaks loose. Run it around in circles and when the clutch heats up it locks up again. Restart, repeat, restart, repeat, etc...

Has anyone actually returned their Muggy for a refund? I'm just wondering what kind of problems I'll have with my LHS when I show up on their doorstep tomorrow truck and receipt in hand.

I expect to have a few issues with setup but this is just stupid.

Kevin
Old 12-25-2006, 06:42 PM
JSRacer

Have you taken the clutchbell off yet?
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Motorep

Nope, not yet. Trying to figure a way out of this thing. Figured if I started spinning wrenches on this thing it would be a reason for Losi/LHS to say it's something I did. I already sent off an e-mail to Losi. I used my c.c. so I can protest the charges if needed. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Kevin
Old 12-25-2006, 08:20 PM
JSRacer

With an aftermarket clutch it really will be a great truck. The truth is, the Muggy has a clutch problem. I have a Muggy and I'm disappointed in the clutch also. If you're not interested in the truck I suppose I can't blame you for not wanting it. But if you stick it out, you may be surprised how much fun it could be. In a way I'm glad you're complaining to Horizon. I think everyone with a Muggy should. It's the only way they'll fix the problem. I've done my share of complaining to Team Losi and Horizon. I've talked to a tech at Team Losi and he said they're working on a fix with engineers. Don't get me wrong for a second, I love the Muggy. It's an awesome truck. I've just ordered a Fioroni clutch as 2D has proven to be a great clutch for the Muggy. I've spent around $200 on clutchbells, bearings, spurs, shoes, and different clutch setups and waited till now to get the Fioroni. Everyone says it works and I should have listened a while ago. But hey, this hobby is an ongoing process. It's not a hobby you can just take out of the closet, play with, and put it back in. It demands your time and attention in order to have the fun you're looking for. Plan on spending as much, if not more time fixing and maintaning the truck than driving it. If you don't think working on a truck is fun, this hobby will get old fast! If you have a very limited budget, this hobby will make it even more limited. But whatever you decide, I hope it's fun!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:46 PM
ThermalRD

Ya, i know the feeling on the clutch issue. I was hoping i had resolved it with the Team Orion V6 i installed. It hooked up great for a while. At the track, it took about 4 tanks before it was slipping really bad. I shut it down, and came home to find this.... I'd say these shoes are nuked! lol I now have the Fioroni twin turbo setup in there, with the red shoes. Hopefully it holds up better.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Motorep

Don't get me wrong, the truck is fun. For as long as I ran it anyway. I think it's also a very forgiving truck from the time I spent running it.
With proper break-in the motor should be planty fast as well for an RTR.

I'm just not looking for a truck I'm going to spend $50.00+ on everytime I run it. If Losi/Horizon can offer me a fix I'll keep the truck. It just has to be a solid fix not something that I'm constantly fighting. I can always go back to electric if this doesn't work out.

Kevin
Old 12-25-2006, 08:50 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The stock clutch is really weak, I hope they come out with a solution for those who use stock clutches. I put a used Werks on it when I first got it and my shoes looked like Thermals in no time. I have been running the Fironi 2 shoe carbon with 2 HD springs for a while now and I could not be happier. I recently went to a bump start and the one way mounts with my Mach and it is working perfect. I ran 9 tanks in my backyard today without issue. I have a video of tank 9 that I will post here later.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:24 PM
ThermalRD

Bump start? Are you also using the new engine mount with chassis support?

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

The stock clutch is really weak, I hope they come out with a solution for those who use stock clutches. I put a used Werks on it when I first got it and my shoes looked like Thermals in no time. I have been running the Fironi 2 shoe carbon with 2 HD springs for a while now and I could not be happier. I recently went to a bump start and the one way mounts with my Mach and it is working perfect. I ran 9 tanks in my backyard today without issue. I have a video of tank 9 that I will post here later.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:32 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I should have said 'one piece mount' in my post. I have the version for the Turmoil I believe. It has long pieces that stick out in front of the engine so it reduces flex further.

It is held by six screws, you can see the slots for the front 2 on your stock Muggy chassis.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:34 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The one piece mounts lower your engine and the front supports provide additional support.

I had to go to bump start when I was running the C6

Old 12-25-2006, 09:44 PM
ThermalRD

Ya, if the chassis flex has anything to do with the clutches frying soo fast, then your situation is a bit different. That engine mount is pretty hefty. I had the TL version here, that my LHS let me borrow to see if it would work. One quick glance at the stock unit, and i could see it wouldnt work. I hope my Fioroni setup holds up.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:51 PM
2DMaxLST!!

In the Region 9 championships, Truggy Sportsman class, I was running the stock mounts with a roto start. I TQ'd and got second in the 30 minute main (several tanks) with the Fironi setup that I use now.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 PM
2DMaxLST!!

The extended one piece mount does make things much stiffer. Claudicio mentioned it and I was thinking it. They tested the Muggy with the kind of tires most racers run and a bump start engine with a one piece mount (I think........), these are much easier on a clutch........... The stock clutch is weak though..

[link=http://lstvideos.com/12252006/muggy_bash_tank9.wmv]Tank 9 unedited from today. [/link]
Old 12-25-2006, 09:59 PM
ThermalRD

Ya, the stock clutch is horrible. But i was shocked to see my V6 setup fry soo fast... In that race you mentioned running for 30 mins, did you have the stock tires on it? Or some lighter racing treads?
Old 12-25-2006, 10:09 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I run GRP's when on the track...

Old 12-25-2006, 10:09 PM
JSRacer

Hey 2D I hope my Fioroni holds up like that! I ordered the FR51 with the black shoes. I didn't get the turbo shoes or whatever they're called. I just got the 2 shoe setup. I hope this works out! I should have them in a week I'd guess.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:28 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I hope everyone has the luck I have had. I am running mine in the Sparkle Challenge Jan 7th, 45minute main. I have am going to order a STS Team .21 in the lstforums.com group by and see what happens. I run the GRP Grips but have a set of Cubics on the way for nice blue groove.

The Region 9 championships were the third race with my Muggy and I was very happy with it. I was running a Mach427 and the stock mounts and roto-start system with the Fironi clutch.

This is all of the video I got from the Region 9 Championships races...

[link=http://lstvideos.com/11182006/Roar_Region9_muggy_qual.wmv]My first try with the Grips on a wet, early morning track in November...[/link]

[link=http://lstvideos.com/11182006/Roar_Region9_practice.wmv]This is a qual, check out how the track had change from the morning......[/link]
Old 12-26-2006, 03:38 AM
morkendi

so far my setup is holding up well with little wear. I used a hpi flywheel. I also got a ofna shim kit. I put 2 of the small shims on each post before installin shoes. I then used the hpi purple shoes with the little screws that weight them and the gold springs in the kit. I put 1 shim on top of the retention nut before installing the first bearing and CB. I then used a hpi 13 tooth vented cb with another shim on top. Then I used the little black thin in the kit the screw goes in. I have 3 gallons on this setup now, and on my second set od bearings. But the shoe hold up good.

I do have my chassis braced also, but I believe this setup would work without it. I think it cost me $65 for everything, but so far best setup I found.

Vid of it runnin with this setup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mys5LjYrcxg
Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 PM
4g63pwr

When you say you used the little screws that weight them im not sure what you mean. Im probably gonna go this route cause I have extra savage parts layin around and this stock clutch on this muggy is driving me insane.[>:]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.