Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Trying to start my LST...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to start my LST...

I took my LST out for a test run and can’t get it to start. I have not had it long and have not even started it yet... I don’t know how to troubleshoot it. First off (have no guide to look at) can someone post starting procedure? Second How would I know if it was flooded? I pumped the plunger quite a few times and it never seemed like anything was going threw... than after quite a few more pumps I saw some run out the exhaust pipe so it must be going through. I put in a new glow plug, the gas is 20% nitro new as of today. don’t know what else to say? I charged the glow igniter (I guess it works). I put it on the plug... pumped the plunger like 10 times and had to switch to my drill to turn it over cause the starter just runs dead... it never seems to try to fire up.

Let me know what to do?

hate being a noob
Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Trying to start my LST...

OK I tested the glow igniter on a plug and it did glow, so I then went back out and tried it and it started after like 1 sec (had to kill it because its dark and loud). I am guessing it was a bit gummed up after sitting all winter and I am sure I flooded it out. I put in a new glow plug (#7) and left in the shim do you guys run it with or without the shim? and if you could please post your starting procedures I would be thankful.... I hope to run it tomorrow with better results. After this weekend I also need to remove the dreaded washer from the motor.

any help would be cool.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Default RE: Trying to start my LST...

I would assume you flooded it. Remove the glow plug, turn the truck over and run the starter with the glow plug out to pump out excess fuel. Replace the glow plug.

Try to start again, this time try to watch the flywheel. Or better yet try to slow down the flywheel. If it's not turning, or if you can easily stop it from turning when you are starting, it might be your one way bearing (OWB).

It's a special nut with rollers inside that turns the starter shaft. Often when a motor sits for a while, or when you flood a motor, it will get saturated with liquid and won't grip.

Remove that, clean it with denatured alcohol or WD-40, lube with motor oil (synthetic is better if you have it) and then give it a go. This happens to everyone every so often.

Let us know how you make out.